shape
carat
color
clarity

Scratches.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I know I'm paranoid, But please just let me know either it IS scratched or it's not. This not knowing feeling is really bothering me. Yesterday I took all my jewlery into the jewler and had my prongs and settings checked. I told them about my mother's diamond being loose and had to get it tightened and I wanted to make sure all my other stuff was set in realy good. So this jewler (not the regular one I go to.. another one closer to my home.) pinched each of my ring diamonds with his thumb and index finger and tried to twist the diamond in the setting!
eek.gif
One of my rings, he said the diamond moved a bit, but I guess from really pinching it and twisting it......

I didn't say anthing at the moment, and now looking back, dont' know why I didn't. But it really bothers me! If it's set tight and the diamond moved it bit,

1) would it have scratched the girdle?

2) OR effect my EXCELLENT POLISH??????? (THIS is what I really want to know, the "Polish".

grrr.... I was screaming inside when he did that.
cry.gif

Is my girdle okay?

I apologize if this is a repeated similar question.. but I can't hold it in any longer.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I might not know what I'm talking about, but I don't think moving the diamond in its setting would scratch it--diamonds are harder than platinum. Unless it somehow got chipped? But that doesn't sound likely to me.

However, if it moves in its setting, then in what sense is it tight? Tight means tight--no moving. Might want to check with another jeweler, one you trust.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Chuckles" sure your girdle should be ok, just don't say THAT to anyone
2.gif

You can surely take a look, but I would not give it a second thought.

It surely looks violent what jewelers do to their materials: but those are, after all, metal and some of the toughest rocks on Earth. There are plenty of horror scenes involved in making those rings
eek.gif
where diamonds get close to white-hot metal, fast turning abrasive wheels, scratchy gravers etc. and we only get the finished product and treat it as if an egg.

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Leota,
A while back Carmen asked the same question and both Rich Sherwood and Garry Holloway responded and reassured her that the prongs wouldn't scratch the diamond.

Looking back on the post, I guess I didn't really understand Carmen's question at the time, but yeah, it was the same inquiry as yours. I hope this brings some ease to your mind.
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If anything, the diamond would damage the prongs.

No way would platinum prongs would scratch your diamond.

I rub my stone all the time inside of the setting to be sure it's secure. If it jiggles at all, I take it to the jeweler. But mostly it's paranoia.
2.gif

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
I deeply apologize we are *still* on this topic. I just want to ask and forever be at peace with this scratch or non-scratch.

One last question, I promise.

Can the polish of the diamond be affected. Is it possible to rub away the clearness of the polished girdle with any kind of metal?

okay, that's it. My last question.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it possible to scratch a diamond with metal: well, sure. It is not likely that the respective metal is that in a ring prongs after setting. By far the greatest stress a diamond may suffer from these pieces of thin wire* occurs during setting, if that's behind the cahnces of anything to happen without help fom some external blow, are rather slim.

I guess there is the general issue about how durable are diamond rings anyway. Rings worn every day do get battered-this is quite easy seen in old rings: those diamonds may need recutting/ repolishing for all sorts of damage. Not that I could imagine all the little accidents that do this to rings, and I do not handle others' diamond jewelry every day to have stories to tell. A bench jeweler could help with these...

All in all, I don not expect that "EX" polish to endure forever as the ring leaves the jewelry box. However, once a diamond accepted such perfect polishing, it will again and few do: you need a clean, well formed crystal for this: a quality that does not wear away. I hope that all this does not sound too bad; your ring is really in the same boat as all others after all, and my comments could surely be corrected.

PS: * ok, prongs can be other things too, just a word there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results