shape
carat
color
clarity

Scratches on Face of diamond?

tarank

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I wanted to know if the face of a diamond can get scratched?

I have a 2.1 CT VVS1 oval engmt ring and the face almost looks as though there are tiny scratches on the top/surface.. Do diamonds get scratched? ive only had it for 3 weeks.. general day to day wear --nothing abrasive I think.

But I could be mistaken and maybe its some sort of grime build up but it resembles tiny scratches... see it when I look closely

Thanks in advance!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Try soaking it in warm dishwashing water and scrub gently with soft toothbrush

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clean it.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another diamond could scratch it, and I suppose that could include diamond polish if something went wrong.

Diamonds can also get chipped or gouged in a way that resembles a scratch, but that doesn't sound like the case here.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could be looking at polish lines or surface graining, or other near-surface inclusion.

tarank

Rough_Rock
The diamond had nearly no inclusions thus VVS1 because on the girdle there is 1 natural indent.. nothing on face..

Can it get scratched for normal wear and tear? such as hitting a table or door etc lightly in general movment... nothing harsh or abrastive..

I will definitely try to clean with dishsoap asap hopefully works

thank you alL!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, you can scratch a diamond. It is very hard to do, but definitely not impossible. Can you get a good photo in reflected light for us? We can give you better assistance if you can.

Wink

FeFeV

Shiny_Rock
The diamond had nearly no inclusions thus VVS1 because on the girdle there is 1 natural indent.. nothing on face..

Can it get scratched for normal wear and tear? such as hitting a table or door etc lightly in general movment... nothing harsh or abrastive..

I will definitely try to clean with dishsoap asap hopefully works

thank you alL!
Diamonds are the hardest natural material and therefore do not usually scratch from typical day-to-day wear or even contact with other hard items. Sometimes I think that I am seeing super fine scratches on the table of my diamonds on my wedding band; but that's just an indication I need to clean it (and always nothing more than finger prints). I actually googled "can diamonds get fine scratches from wear" the first week I got my ring.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sometimes, when I am looking at estate diamonds that have been worn two or even three generations, I find many small chips at the facet junctions because of thousands of minor blows to the surface of the diamond. Those are far more common for me to see than scratches, but occasionally I will see a few scratches on the diamond too. I often wonder how they were earned...

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results