shape
carat
color
clarity

Scratch on platinum band

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glchen

Rough_Rock
After having her diamond engagement ring for one week, my girlfriend scratched the outside of her platinum band at the side. She''s crushed. Is there anything to do here? Can platinum be polished to remove the scratch? She wants to return it since its within the 30 day policy, but I don''t know. Thanks!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
unless it is a deep scratch, she should get used to it?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
ahhh, you''ve discovered one of the disadvantages of platinum!

Platinum is actually a quite soft metal and acquires dings and scratches quite easily. On the bright side, these can usually be polished out for a slight fee at the jewelers that is often cheaper than rhodium plating. Most people don''t recommend doing this more often than 1-2 times per year because after many many times it will slowly take away metal. Don''t worry, unless it''s deep it should be able to come out.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 2:33:29 AM
Author:glchen
After having her diamond engagement ring for one week, my girlfriend scratched the outside of her platinum band at the side. She''s crushed. Is there anything to do here? Can platinum be polished to remove the scratch? She wants to return it since its within the 30 day policy, but I don''t know. Thanks!
it would be unethical to return it.

it''s like your first car ding. it happens.

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 6:04:42 AM
Author: ladykemma
Date: 2/6/2007 2:33:29 AM

Author:glchen

After having her diamond engagement ring for one week, my girlfriend scratched the outside of her platinum band at the side. She's crushed. Is there anything to do here? Can platinum be polished to remove the scratch? She wants to return it since its within the 30 day policy, but I don't know. Thanks!
it would be unethical to return it.

it's like your first car ding. it happens.

I don't know about unethical, but it's definitely like your first new car ding. I freaked out when I got my first ding in my brand new Civic, but eventually got used to it esp. since it was tiny!

Unless it's deep, scratches happen and I wouldn't bother polishing it out. Like Garry said, it will develop a platinum patina over time, which is perfectly natural.

Just tell her (and remind yourself) to chill.
26.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Platinum scratches and develops a patina quite easily. She''ll have to get used to that or be more careful with the ring! Thankfully, it is easy to polish platinum and you don''t ''lose'' much metal from polishing platinum like you do with gold.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results