shape
carat
color
clarity

Scouring for spinel references

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone,

I believe I am very close to finally finding my spinel, so I was wondering about the best way to gather as much information as possible on this gemstone so I can compile a little factbook for myself. Naturally, I have learned a lot over the past (nearly) 4 months of searching and researching -- so much so that I often forget where it was that I read a certain thing, and/or wonder if something I recall is really true or if I am confusing a bit of information from another stone.

So I was wondering if all you wonderful PSers out there might be able to generously donate some web links for me, in this thread. Links to sites with blurbs (and hopefully more than just blurbs) on spinel, particularly red spinel. Even links to other threads on Pricescope. There was a good one earlier about spinel vs. ruby.

The things I''m most interested in are facts about rarity, trends in market value and marketability of spinels, differences between spinel and other red gemstones (chemical, optical, crystal habit, etc.), more information on fluorescence and what causes it, why truly red Burmese spinel, Paraiba tourmaline, Alexandrite, and Demantoid garnet for example are still considered "semi-precious" when really washed out, barely-fuchsia corundum is sold as "ruby." And so forth.

Any interesting tidbits, even personal anecdotes to share about this wonderful stone? I was initially drawn to it out of the sheer impossibility of getting what I wanted out of a ruby -- but now I would almost prefer spinel, all things being equal (other than price!). No pleochroism, single-refractive, etc.

The one thing that I think detracts from the gem and its perceived value is the sheer amount of really crap spinel out there -- stuff of ugly color, or too much iron content (ruddy color), that cost easily below 100 per carat. That material is clearly in another category entirely from red spinel, flame spinel, really good pink (namya) spinel, and the rarer blue spinels.

It''s too bad we can''t call these bad boys "balas rubies" anymore.

Anyway, any help appreciated. There seems to be a resurging interest in spinel on this forum anyway...

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Raddy:

One of the easiest ways is to do an advanced search and search every thread for the word "spinel" The search option will let you search thread titles and text. Upon completing the search it will list all the threads containing spinel and any pertinent info in decending order by last date posted. Give it a try. You will be surprised at how much you compile...

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
Yup, thanks for the tip, but I have already done that. I just hate how this forum software will list multiple hits for the same thread. So a thread about spinel will have a hit for just about every post in it (in chronological order maybe) so that it gets really irritating sifting through the results to find other posts.

And anyway, I''m most interested in links to other sites (other than Pala, and AIGS, both of which I think I''ve already scoured).

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The fact that anyone can post any sort of information on the net is both its greatest strength and its greatest weakness. A lot of the stuff I have read contains many errors of fact. May I suggest that some of the most important writing on gemstones is simply not available free on the internet. So, if you really want to know I suggest beginning a librarary. On spinel, gemology, crystallography, Max Bauer''s wonderful "Precious Gemstones" is a must. Richard Hughes: "Ruby and Sapphire" is the best book ever written on corundum. Stephen Hofer''s "Collecting and Classifying Coloured Diamonds" is awesome not only for understanding colored diamonds but on the whole subject of color in gemstones. My book: "Secrets Of The Gem Trade" deals extensively with the us of the word "semi-precious" and also contains a chapter on spinel.

You know the old saying: "You get what you pay for"

Good reading,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results