shape
carat
color
clarity

ScottKay Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

belomni

Rough_Rock
I have purchased a ring my girlfriend liked very much at the store. It is a round shank but flat at the bottom. It has a four prong head and each prong is knife edged. I took it to get the diamond set and the jeweler told me he his guy was not in but he also told me the ring was for a princess cut! I am now very worried because my diamond is a round cut. If this is true, when some people look at my girls ring they will always be commenting on that fact. I did notice it made the diamond look kind of square because of the knife edged prongs. I am a little worried now and wanted some feedback if possible.

Thanks!

Shawn:errrr:

T

Rough_Rock
I would not be concern about it as long as the diamond is SAFELY set and that both you and your significant other like how it looks.

just my two-cents,
-T:read:

bingbongbug

Rough_Rock
What an interesting question. I am interested in the answer for the opposite purpose.

I dislike rounds but love square-cuts, like the flanders. I wonder if mounting a round like a princess would give it a squarish look, but still have the light return of a round. Or if there would be a way to mount a round to make it look squarish...

Any thoughts, either in Belomni's or my perspectives?

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Bingbongbug, something like this? I did a google search for fishtail settings and found this.

amb150plat.jpg

Derek

Rough_Rock
Bingbongbug (gotta like that name!).
I'm doing just that, round diamond to look square. My girlfried loves the beauty of a round diamond but likes the square look of a princess. She found her perfect ring in an ad. Round diamond with 4 square top prongs. The four square prongs give the impression of a princess yet it still retains the brilliance of a round.
Needless to say I became quite frightened when she said she might want a princess instead. I never dreamed how much there was to learn about diamonds and to have to start all over looking at a new shape! Luckly without any prompting she reverted to round. Now I just have to find the right stone before she changes her mind again!
-D

bingbongbug

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. :)

Tonysgeko, you're so nice to run a search and post a picture for me! Looking at that ring, I'd have to say that it doesn't really look squarish to me. It still looks like a regular round.

Derek, that's funny that you are doing the same thing, and your girlfriend has the same preference as I do. You haven't come across a ring picture online with the same style, have you? I'm very curious to see what it would look like.

I do have a particular setting in mind. It's made for a Flanders, with a wide band. Anyone have a thought on how square it would make a round look, and how secure a round would be in a Flanders setting?

And I'm glad you like my name, Derek! I drive a new beetle, and my sweetie had a pet name of "Bingbong" for me. For some reason, I liked it. :)

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Found one more Bing. Maybe it would help to add some bars in between the gaps on top to make it more squarish and conceal the round edges.

r14.jpg

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
I love a fish-tail setting, but I prefer a traditional V-Head for a round stone so that you can see the entire stone, top and sides. I do not like baskets with a setting bar b/c I feel that it takes away from the beauty of the stone.

I have an opposite question...regarding my square sapphire.

CAN I SET THE SQUARE STEP-CUT SAPPHIRE IN A V-HEAD THAT WAS MEANT FOR A
ROUND STONE???

Any thoughts???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results