shape
carat
color
clarity

Scenes from JCK 2008

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 1:09:30 PM
Author: John Pollard
Date: 6/4/2008 1:01:48 PM

Author: strmrdr

Date: 6/4/2008 12:33:09 PM

There are several different floors at the show. Many dealers like to have girls in cocktail dresses handing out brochures and such (some of you will remember the GCAL promos).

This year...cheerleaders? What an interesting contrast.

I wonder what an appropriate cheer would be for diamonds right now?

Maybe ''Two bits...four bits...six bits...eight bits...twelve...no, ninety nine!''
41.gif

There fixed it for you.

You nailed the cheer for 3ct+

Now I''m waiting for the video of Strm doing the pom-pom routine.

That would be way to scary!!!!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 12:19:13 PM
Jim demonstrated that the ASET Cam works on mounted stones as well as loose.
kicken!
Another excuse for not providing them down the drain.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 1:06:35 PM
A very cool item that WGI was providing to pros was ''The Loupe with Light.'' Reminiscent of the old Zeiss proportions loupe it has a circle of lights inside a diffuser ring facing the diamond, as well as UV for checking fluorescence. These were a hit. I will try to get a photo looking through it later.
Oh my gosh- I want one of those!!!
31.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great pictures, and your posts are very interesting...thank you for sharing!
It looks like you all had such fun!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We all had fun.

I have returned home this morning, and cannot wait to execute some of the new ideas and projects that originated in the past week. Too bad that we first have to deal with jetlag.

Live long,

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great company, good food, and diamonds; looks like a blast!!!! I am sure we all wish we were there with you all, having a great time
9.gif
hehe

Okay John, Oh be-HAYVE!
2.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/4/2008 12:52:53 PM
In the middle is Barak Green, formerly of GIA, now with the World Gemological Institute. WGI has established offices in California and is introducing new grading & packaging. A topic of interest was their assessment of hearts & arrows in rounds; something most US labs have avoided.
Hi John..., thanks for the insight..., looks like you all had a blast..., did you guy''s work? or just fun?
11.gif

Whats your impression of the WGI?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/4/2008 12:48:54 PM
We did have a Mustang though.

Mustang Pauly. Uh huh. Guess you better slow your Mustang down.
LOL! John and I were so busy racing down the drag with the mustang that we all blew about 4 blocks past the restaurant before we realised it...

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The view through it is incredibly crisp. The only downside that I could see, and Lieve too, is that it makes even a yellow stone look like a D. It is good for finding small pinpoints though, you will no longer miss those VS1 inclusions, even VV2''s are fairly easy to find, that puppy really LIGHTS up a stone!

I actually was standing next to a guy who had the audacity to ask for one for his partner who would be "incredibly dissapointed" not to have one. The guy said yes, so I said, "Could I have an extra one too? I do not have a partner, but I want one to live in my desk and the other to live in my pocket. I should be incredibly dissapointed to ever not have one with me when I need it."

He laughed and said I was the first honest asker all day and thus I deserved it.

I also tried to buy some, but they are not for sale from WGI yet. I would love to get my hands on a dozen or so for Christmas gifts for my jewelry friends who were not there in Vegas!

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/4/2008 1:14:51 PM
Andrey hosted a gathering to share coming features and functionality on Pricescope. Although he still hasn’t found a way to dispense diamonds directly from your computer terminal he’s working on it.
1.gif

L-R: Paul from Infinity, Garry Holloway, Andrey from Pricescope, Lesley and Brian from Whiteflash, Lieve from Infinity, Ankur from Angara and Wink from Winfield’s.
I think it was very illuminating for Andrey to see Paul, Lieve, Garry, and Brian all hanging out together and acting like long last friends rather than competitors. These are all incredibly well respected people in their industry and all supposed to be competitors, but all realizing that in friendship there lies the seeds of strength for the industry and that increasing the size of the pie is more important to us all than increasing the share of the pie. (Analogy from Brian the Cutter, and right on the mark in my opinion.)

Wink

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great thread and posts, John! And nice analogy, Wink!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the photos and fantastic info!

Some of us had to stay home and mind the office
8.gif

Next year...I'll be there
36.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ellen and Lynn, thanks and you''re welcome. I can''t tell you how often something catches my attention and I think "[insert rabid PSer] would LOVE that."

Julie - I always make Bouchon a stop in Vegas. We went without reservations so they seated us in the lounge area. I think it worked out better for a group that was chatty. As an aside, if you like their seafood Elliots on the Seattle waterfront will blow you away.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/31/2008 11:13:55 PM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 5/30/2008 12:58:19 PM
A further thought about memo: Many see memo as the great industry killer. How is it possible that - in a world where cash and carry has always defined the most successful - our luxury trade has been allowed to back itself into this corner?

Our archivists have been working day and night to trace the roots of memo.

Where did this all start, and how? Well, according to a joint report filed by Dr. Brillianteering and Professor RB Hoverworthington (leaders in studies of DSS and PSA), we may have an answer…

According to ancient text scrawled on briefke recovered from a Flemish shipwreck - the Memo epidemic can be traced to the jungles of Brazil some decades ago: A poor native jeweler allowed an American Marine from Idaho to tote a number of 25-cent-per-carat amethysts to show his buddies in hopes of selling them. That American was not required to pay, only to borrow the gems with the promise of cash or return (!) In the native Tupi language this practice was referred to as Winkborrow *. South American gem traders shortened it to “orrow” and upon reaching Tel Aviv Israeli traders called the practice “memo.”

This affliction spread quickly, to Antwerp, Mumbai New York and finally to the rest of the world.

No one knew, those decades ago, that the largesse of one native trader in the Brazilian rain forest would bring the industry to its knees today. Our researchers are now trying to trace the identity of the Marine from Idaho – what happened to him? Has he survived and, somehow, does he carry a gene that could lead to an immunization for our trade?

Grave issues indeed.

* A side note: Some anthropologists speculate “Wheelbarrow” gets its roots in “Winkborrow,” attributable to the vast amounts of amethyst that the mysterious American jeweler traded in his Brazilian days.
Seriously laugh out loud funny John
9.gif
Whew! I'm glad somebody got that.
37.gif

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/4/2008 12:27:51 PM
Author: part gypsy
Thanks for your dispatch from JCK, and the fun pics. It is always interesting to hear what is going on with industry insiders.
pg - Thinking out loud, I wonder what the popularity would be if JCK extended the show for a few days and invited dealers to showcase to the general public. The wholesalers and tech sector might pack it in, but as long as they were there anyway some of the designers and dealers might be interested.

The hard part: Twisting their arms to stay in Vegas a few more days
2.gif
(only half-kidding - it truly can be exhausting).

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Seems like we''re 1/2 way there on data points...

Date: 6/5/2008 11:59:14 AM

Date: 6/4/2008 12:27:51 PM
Author: part gypsy
Thanks for your dispatch from JCK, and the fun pics. It is always interesting to hear what is going on with industry insiders.
pg - Thinking out loud, I wonder what the popularity would be if JCK extended the show for a few days and invited dealers to showcase to the general public. The wholesalers and tech sector might pack it in, but as long as they were there anyway some of the designers and dealers might be interested.

The hard part: Twisting their arms to stay in Vegas a few more days
2.gif
(only half-kidding - it truly can be exhausting).
See here...

1) the idea of a Pricescope meeting
2) the location (1/2 say Vegas)
3) the dates (that needs work).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really enjoyed this thread as usual Sir John, thanks so much for taking the trouble to share with us!

LOL @ Winkborrow!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
9.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Love the play by play, John. as usual it was outstanding reading.

shay

Moko

Shiny_Rock
Hi John,
Great pictures!!
I always enjoyed reading your post, but your report on JCK was fantastic and so interesting. I am getting more and more interested in Jewelry industries. I am so lucky that I found PS. I would never had a chance to know real professional people in jewelry industries like you and others. Also I would never have a chance to see the scenes of JCK! It looks like you all had such fun! I love everyone’s happy face here. Thank you for sharing.
36.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey John,

Didn''t I see you make more handpics last week? Or are you afraid that Angela sees them?

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What I like about Paul is that he's always thinking ahead. What I hate about Paul is that he's always thinking ahead.

Angela has hers already and it's glorious, Mister-Antwerp (Are you trying to cause DSS?).
2.gif

With that said, here are some hand shots I snapped for you insatiable-types.

Drena’s round solitaire.

ring-drena-jck08.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Vanessa’s round & trilliant three-stone and band.

ring-vanessa-jck08.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lieve’s princess and setting with black diamonds.

ring-lieves-jck08.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Two Australian rings on one hand (why did she constantly want to wear them upside down?).

rings-vanessa-drena-jck08.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is Garry - showing the diameter of the next diamond he’s getting Drena!

(Drena, you owe me for this).

garry-thismuch-jck08.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It''s hard to capture the effect of the ring on Lieve''s other hand. It makes unique use of pave and negative space.

lieves-other-ring-jck08.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For some of the familiar faces our last night out was dinner on the lovely Venetian canal, under the 24-hour sky.

wink-garry-jck08.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Drena and Vanessa - fun with pasta.

drena-vanessa-jck08.jpg

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ahh JCK... where a guy is always surrounded by beautiful gems.

vanessa-john-lieve-jck08.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results