shape
carat
color
clarity

SCD Stamp In Ring

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

Does anyone know what SCD stands for when it is stamped inside a ring? It is 18k gold.

Thank you!

-Zappy

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
scd1.jpg

Here is an image. I hope it shows up clearly!

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps this is a step in the right direction. Thanks!

If anyone else knows more about this, let me know. :)

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think VRBeauty hit a home run! :appl:

The United States' National Gold & Silver Stamping Act of 1906 (still in effect) does not require that jewelry items offered for sale be marked with the established indicator of the fineness/quality of the metal alloy (e.g., 14k), but if the piece is so marked, the dealer/manufacturer's registered trademark must also appear.

According to the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office's own online database, Washington Jewelers is the only person/entity to have ever registered the SCD trademark. The Office canceled Washington Jewelers' registration of the trademark in 2002; that usually happens when the trademark holder, or their attorney, does not file the documents demonstrating continued use of the trademark, and here in the US, it's "use it or lose it" when it comes to trademarks. The US PTO's online file page (below) shows the full address given at the time of the trademark filing 25 years ago -- and Washington Jewelers is still in business there at 183 W. Main Street, Washington, North Carolina.

Although the current web site doesn't give any indication that Washington Jewelers is presently fabricating jewelry, it's a business that's been owned by the same family for more than 50 years. So perhaps someone there can confirm the ring is indeed one of theirs and offer some additional info as well. Hope you let us know what they say!
http://www.washingtonjewelersnc.com/aboutus.htm

uspto_record.png

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - I learned something today. Thanks for the information, MollyMalone!

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Awesome information! You guys are great detectives...thanks so much! :appl:

I emailed Washington Jewelers and I am hoping for a response. I will let you know if I learn much about this ring. I ended up buying it and I'll try to post pictures when I receive it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at the trademark info again I noticed this:

"The correspondent listed for SCD is Roberta Jacobs-Meadway and James R Meyer of 1601 Market Street, 36th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19103,." And wondered... this could possibly be PS favorite James Meyer, creator of many wonderful platform-style diamond rings, who just happens to work out of Pennsylvania? Might he have co-owned this retail jewelry store at some point?

However, it turns out that "our" James Meyer's middle initial is "I", not "R". http://americanart.si.edu/collections/search/artist/?id=3300

Oh well!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results