shape
carat
color
clarity

Scam or honest mistake?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not even consider another diamond from him. Was the setting custom or just a setting he had in stock? If it was custom or special order, you may be obligated to buy the setting, but that amount could be subtracted from the amount he owes you for your old diamond.

As others have said, get a lawyer. I would not let him force me into buying another diamond from him.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I was making this up :( not talking about thousands of dollars. The jeweler just left a message (I'm hoping my husband can ask for a refund, I hate confrontation) and told me that he looked closely at the diamond that matches my GIA certificate but "someone must have dropped it" because it has a chip in it and he found me a "better stone" that I will be very happy with. I just want this over with! I feel certain this is a scam.
Take your money and...
scram.gif

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just get a lawyer. The guy's not acting in good faith. He's just going to keep coming up with lies to cheat you until one of you wears the other down. He knows what he's doing; he knows what his legal obligations are and he knows what's worked on people he's cheated in the past. You'll be in a position of strength if you get an expert to back you.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely seek legal counsel. I wouldn't deal with him either - period. He is a scam a minute and you will not walk away a satisfied customer. Because of his dishonestly, you will always question any stone that he comes up with.

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't know what state you're in, but you may want to see if your state has a Division of Consumer Affairs. Here in NJ, everything is regulated. DCA pulls more weight that BBB, which if I understand correctly, you only have to respond to their correspondence to remain in their good graces.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
:-o Maybe you're obligated to buy the setting from him, but you aren't obligated to buy a diamond. :angryfire:He can refund the cost of the diamond, put the value of your trade in toward the setting, you can take the custom setting, and we can help you find a better stone that will fit the setting. If he won't do that, then I would also involve a lawyer since it seems like a classic bait and switch to me.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o Maybe you're obligated to buy the setting from him, but you aren't obligated to buy a diamond. :angryfire:He can refund the cost of the diamond, put the value of your trade in toward the setting, you can take the custom setting, and we can help you find a better stone that will fit the setting. If he won't do that, then I would also involve a lawyer since it seems like a classic bait and switch to me.

I agree with this. If he already sold your diamond, then he should refund you in money. I guarantee he did not sell your diamond for less than the worth he accepted in trade-in, or if he did he should cover the difference given that he made a mistake of this magnitude.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As if he'd be in a big rush to sell your trade-in for a loss in like two days.

Cancel your card transaction ASAP, negotiate to get the higher amount of either the money that he credited for your stone as a trade now or what he originally charged you; apply that amount toward his "custom-sized" setting and tell him you won't sue his a$$.

So sorry that this happened to you.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a mess. I am so glad you are getting sound advice and support here!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results