shape
carat
color
clarity

Sayings You Hate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

courtney5638

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 11:16:32 AM
Author: aprilcait

Incorrect sayings that aren''t words or mean the exact opposite of what the person intends to say drive me up the wall too -- ''anyways'' (instead of ''anyway''), ''irregardless'' (instead of ''regardless''), ''could care less'' (instead of ''couldn''t care less''), etc.

**Deep breath** Man, am I glad it''s Friday!
9.gif

Ditto to the incorrect sayings - drives me nuts!

Double ditto to TGIF!
36.gif

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
"Keep your eyes peeled." Ugh, gross.

"Alls I know is......" Completely irritating.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Ok, this is a HUGE one for me, if we''re talking grammar... "ILLINOIS" I literally cringe when people pronounce the S.

I''m talking some other management officers around my office.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Remembered another one-"flying by the seat of his pants". Hate that saying.

courtney5638

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 1:47:05 PM
Author: meresal
Ok, this is a HUGE one for me, if we''re talking grammar... ''ILLINOIS'' I literally cringe when people pronounce the S.

Ooooh, me too. Drives me crazy.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
The saying that bothers me most is "behind the eight ball".

If we''re talking about grammatical mistakes, the error that drives me insane is "seen," as in "I seen a movie." I want to scream out "SAW- you SAW a movie" every time I hear or read it.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
internets

eta: this cracks me up when someone says it on purpose though
31.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 2:12:31 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone
internets

31.gif
it is technically correct, there is more than 1.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 3:14:26 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 4/24/2009 2:12:31 PM
internets

31.gif
it is technically correct, there is more than 1.
Nobody likes a smarty pants!

(Oh hell, I do
11.gif
)

Cartwheel

Rough_Rock
Oh I''ve got to get in on this one...

"My bad" and "anyways" are the most annoying to me. I just want to turn around and walk away when I hear those. Ugh.

20.gif

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 1:26:01 PM
People who say ''for all intensive purposes'' it''s intents and purposes.....if you don''t know what the correct expression is then you shouldn''t be using it.

Holy cannoli! I honestly never knew that I wasn''t using the correct expression on this one as I''ve only ever heard "intensive purposes" but yeah, that makes no sense! Thank you so much!

I hate the expression "I haven''t got all day." Technically, yes, you do, unless you die, in which case, why are you in such a hurry? You''re dying today anyway!

"You''re not getting any younger" Freaking duh! I always reply with a George Carlin quote, "So far, this is the oldest I''ve been."

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 5:11:16 PM
Author: doodle

People who say ''for all intensive purposes'' it''s intents and purposes.....if you don''t know what the correct expression is then you shouldn''t be using it.

Holy cannoli! I honestly never knew that I wasn''t using the correct expression on this one as I''ve only ever heard ''intensive purposes'' but yeah, that makes no sense! Thank you so much!

I hate the expression ''I haven''t got all day.'' Technically, yes, you do, unless you die, in which case, why are you in such a hurry? You''re dying today anyway!

''You''re not getting any younger'' Freaking duh! I always reply with a George Carlin quote, ''So far, this is the oldest I''ve been.''
No worries, I think it comes from law lingo.... can anyone weigh in here?

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock

Incorrect sayings that aren''t words or mean the exact opposite of what the person intends to say drive me up the wall too -- ''anyways'' (instead of ''anyway''), ''irregardless'' (instead of ''regardless''), ''could care less'' (instead of ''couldn''t care less''), etc.

9.gif

That one drives me insane!!!!
38.gif

And I don''t know if it was said already but I can''t stand "It could be worse..."

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I HATE '' my bad.'' DREADFUL saying.
29.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I have just thought of one for Strm.
25.gif

ICY WHITE DIAMONDS.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Overused:

My bad. (No. It''s your mistake, your f--- up, your problem. Your bad was not knowing an adjective from a noun.)

Have a nice day. (only because the person saying it rarely means it, it''s just rote mumblings to them; how ''bout somethng less trite?)

No problem. (In response to "Thank you". Whatever happened to "Your welcome"?)

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 5:13:45 PM

Holy cannoli! I honestly never knew that I wasn''t using the correct expression on this one as I''ve only ever heard ''intensive purposes'' but yeah, that makes no sense! Thank you so much!

I hate the expression ''I haven''t got all day.'' Technically, yes, you do, unless you die, in which case, why are you in such a hurry? You''re dying today anyway!

''You''re not getting any younger'' Freaking duh! I always reply with a George Carlin quote, ''So far, this is the oldest I''ve been.''
Tap tap...is this thing on??? I feel ignored today.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock

I feel that way about the use of ''irregardless'' for ''regardless''. No such word as irregardless. Regardless of what anyone thinks.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 1:33:24 PM
Author: courtney5638

9.gif

Double ditto to TGIF!
36.gif
Ah. I see I''m merely the chorus, singing the same tune.

Thritto for me.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 1:47:05 PM
Author: meresal
Ok, this is a HUGE one for me, if we''re talking grammar... ''ILLINOIS'' I literally cringe when people pronounce the S.

It''s especially cringe worthy if you are orginally from IllinoiS and your fellow state mates where you live now just cannot NOT say the S. Geography, anyone? I don''t pronounce Arkansas - - R Kansas.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 6:28:40 PM
Author: HollyS

Date: 4/24/2009 1:33:24 PM
Author: courtney5638

9.gif

Double ditto to TGIF!
36.gif
Ah. I see I''m merely the chorus, singing the same tune.

Thritto for me.
I''m in the same row as you, Holly, the front row!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
When out of state people refer to San Francisco as "Frisco" UGH, it drives us crazy.
14.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Everything happens for a reason.

I get that some people do believe it to be true, which is fine, but I HATE when others say it to me. For me, they should change it to "Everything that happens will change your future in some way that you hopefully won't be bitter about later."

11.gif

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 6:33:37 PM
Author: Linda W
When out of state people refer to San Francisco as ''Frisco'' UGH, it drives us crazy.
14.gif
Lol, Frisco is a fancy place here in Texas mama!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I hate this one that I had never heard until I moved to New Jersey...

"Not for nothin''..." (insert accent), and usually followed by something that the person should have just kept to himself/herself.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have problem with any particular saying. It is more the "WHO" says it and "HOW" it was said that can bother me.

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
oh! oh!

"that which does not kill us makes us stronger"

that SAYING makes me wanna kill somebody! i''m a psychologist, and i''m here to tell you that that which is so painful to us that it has to be described in terms of survival or near death tends to leave bloody big scars across our psyche!

we might survive it - but it for SURE does not make us stronger!

ever met a victim of rape? child abuse? domestic violence? ''stronger''? yeah - no.

grrrrrrrrrrrr....

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 6:26:05 PM
Date: 4/24/2009 5:13:45 PM

Tap tap...is this thing on??? I feel ignored today.

I hear ya, IWPO!

"This cliche (meaning "practically") is a shortening of the legal
phrase "to all intents, constructions, and purposes" (found in an
act adopted under Henry VIII in 1547). The corruption "for all
intensive purposes" is frequently reported."

~from
here...

BlueSki231

Brilliant_Rock

YESS!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/24/2009 5:21:46 PM
Author: Lorelei
Oh I have just thought of one for Strm.
25.gif

ICY WHITE DIAMONDS.
your mean

8.gif
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results