shape
carat
color
clarity

savvy advice on how to evaluate high performance oval diamonds

thesearchbegins

Rough_Rock
Hi friends! I'm new to posting in this forum (but have read through several of the threads and advice from contributors and really appreciate all the resources). I'm going to be looking at oval diamonds this weekend and I was wondering if anyone has seasoned tips on how to best evaluate oval cut diamonds. I've seen resources, guides and videos on the ideal cut measurements, length to width ratio, table/depth %, girdle measurements, color/clarity grades, and all of that but I'm hoping for suggestions after all of that checks out. How do you spot a particularly high quality oval diamond from other great diamonds or an average oval diamond (of the same specs)? What signals do you look for to identify particularly high quality oval diamonds that make them stand out as special?

Do 8b main facets have better light performance than 4 or 6 mains?
How do you properly evaluate bowtie severity? What makes for an acceptable level of bowtie vs a "bad" bowtie that one should avoid (even if all else checks out in the outline, shape, color, clarity and cut measurements)

I've come across some posts on oval cuts (4 main, 6 main and 8a or 8b main) and lively, well defined facet cuts vs "mushy" areas (thank you tyty333 for your expertise!) I believe you had also previously mentioned that standing diamond videos are the hardest to evaluate. Why is that? Would the diamond laying flat show a more accurate view of light reflection?

In addition to looking at light performance with an ASET scope, are there other tips that you can recommend?

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions! Much appreciated

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do 8b main facets have better light performance than 4 or 6 mains?
Unfortunately, we cant really say that one type of faceting pattern has better light return than another with respect to the number of mains.

There are some well-cut ovals (branded) that are really nice (a little on the expensive side)...

https://www.distinctivegem.com/collections/opulence/products/elyque-oval-1-02ct-g-vs2-1605643 AGS000 with Ideal light return (10 main)

How do you properly evaluate bowtie severity? What makes for an acceptable level of bowtie vs a "bad" bowtie that one should avoid (even if all else checks out in the outline, shape, color, clarity and cut measurements)

Its really subjective. It takes looking at a lot of ovals. Also, what is acceptable to me may not be acceptable to someone else.

Have you been able to see any ovals in person? What are you looking for? We might be able to make suggestions if you let
us know your specs.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you only have access to videos - then face on - expect to see some darkness thru the center - but it should flick away quickly - and the more bang bang bangs of darkness in different parts near the centre the better as these will possibly also show fire in real life.

thesearchbegins

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advice tyty333 and Gary!

tyty333
thank you for asking! In case you come across anything like this (or have recommendations on where I should look)

approximate specs I'm exploring
Color: D or E
Clarity: VS1 VS2 or above
Carat: around 2 ct.

Wink

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ovals, marquise and pears need to be evaluated by eye. Look for little to no visible bow tie and for LOTS of white sparkles, as the "crushed ice" sparkles near the ends of the shapes do not lend themselves to being large enough flashes of light to create much dispersion.

A well cut diamond of these shapes can be a true thing of beauty, although most of them are not, having been cut for weight retention rather than beauty.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results