shape
carat
color
clarity

Save me from myself

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I came across this ring a few weeks ago and I swear, it's haunting me. I'm not married, have a boyfriend, but no plans to get married anytime soon and it's more money than we'd ever spend on a ring. (I'm tired of sending money to insurance companies, but that's another future post.) Somebody please tell me this ring is too warm, the seller is bad news, it would make my finger fall off...anything to make me stop obsessing.
http://www.westonjewelry.com/antique-old-european-cut-diamond-engagement-ring-solid-platinum-crown-setting.html

dia775i-antique-crown-old-euro-cut-diamond-engagement-ring.jpg

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Wish I could help you but I've seen that ring listed on eBay and it looks really pretty. The stone is on the warm side so you'd have to find out whether you'd be okay with the color. The appraisal is from an entity I've never heard of so I'd get it independently appraised. I don't know anything about the seller but it has a very good return policy.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
You're right about their return policy; it's one of the best I've seen on Ebay. What's interesting is that the ring is $600 less on their web site vs. the bay. I guess that's to make up for the Ebay/Paypal fees.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I'm gonna help you.

Way way way too expensive for an O/P 1.90 ct. Weston are always very very expensive! Forget it!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
That's kind of what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. Thanks a bunch, seriously.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, SDL, there's just something about those culets that I love. It's like the stone is looking back at you. Reality in the form of an ugly kitchen floor and doo-doo brown carpet has brought me back to earth. My house was built in '76 and I think the vinyl might be original! It really needs to go.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I would never go that low in color. In the picture it looks beautiful and white but you know they want to take the best picture they can. That highly tinted would bother me in person. I too love the old fashioned cut of it but not in that color/price combination. Well, besides the fact you're not getting engaged anytime soon, there's no need to rush into a ring purchase. Save the picture so that when it is time to do so, you'll have a reference for what type of stone and setting you find yourself drawn too.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
But, bookmark it, and get it recreated for a fraction of the cost, or better yet, spend the same money on a diamond you get to see in person.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks you two, great ideas. Reader, did you get your ring going with danielm?

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Their web site is westonjewelry.com for non-Ebay prices. That would make a great field trip when you're up there.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
texaskj said:
Thanks you two, great ideas. Reader, did you get your ring going with danielm?

Not yet! My bathroom decided to shed a wall!

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Too bad. Life has a way of using those extra dollars sometimes.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I really like that ring alot. Y'know antique diamonds have a way of facing up whiter than their modern counterparts (don't know why but it's true). I've had a J/K color OEC and a M OEC. The only place you could see the very, very slight tint is from the side. However, I would not go as low as O/P without first seeing it in person. Weston has a great return policy and great feedback. Now, you know what you like for when you get engaged.

nbarker

Rough_Rock
i didnt think the price was too high?? certainly no worse than lang... i love it! thanks for giving me another antique ring site to browse!!! :naughty:

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Question is, have you seen any old cuts in this color range before? If so, did you love the warmth? For all you know, you could be a "color snob" and not even realize it!

I see many, many MANY old cuts in this color range - honestly, most of these stones face up like M/Ns in about 80% of lighting conditions. So, if M/N is also your sweet spot, and the make of the stone itself is good, then you've got yourself a keeper (I wont comment on the pricing though).

I agree though, the setting is lovely as well.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
HeartingDiamonds said:
Question is, have you seen any old cuts in this color range before? If so, did you love the warmth? For all you know, you could be a "color snob" and not even realize it!

I see many, many MANY old cuts in this color range - honestly, most of these stones face up like M/Ns in about 80% of lighting conditions. So, if M/N is also your sweet spot, and the make of the stone itself is good, then you've got yourself a keeper (I wont comment on the pricing though).

I agree though, the setting is lovely as well.

Excellent point, HD. In person, I've seen very few old cuts period, let alone in this color. I really think that big ol' O/P is the reason it hasn't sold. (Well, that and the price.)
Love y'alls stuff, btw.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Aww, thanks :bigsmile: !

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Well, the ring is listed as sold on Weston's web site. Maybe San Diego Lady got it on her trip! :lol:
Thanks for everyone's help/opinions.

Grlsbestfrnd

Brilliant_Rock
texaskj said:
Well, the ring is listed as sold on Weston's web site. Maybe San Diego Lady got it on her trip! :lol:
Thanks for everyone's help/opinions.

hmm... I'm curious about that too!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes lower color diamonds can be so gorgeous. I lost my heart to an old 2 carat P diamond once. I thought it was a fluke. Then I had a patient who was wearing a three stone diamond ring and they were all low color with almost a slight peach tint to them. I think about those diamonds and how beautiful they were and I don't recall lusting after white diamonds like I did those. They were gorgeous. :love:

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I'm guessing the buyer was a non-PSer. Whoever you are, I hope you enjoy that beautiful ring in good health. :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results