shape
carat
color
clarity

Satin Half Bezel

rockwobble

Rough_Rock
So I am looking for an e-ring setting for my girlfriend and came across this ring from whiteflash:
http://www.whiteflash.com/gallery/s...alf-bezel-solitaire-engagement-ring-14902.htm

I like the low profile of bezel and half bezel settings and I really like the satin finish and the euro shank just makes it look cool.

But I guess it is a custom design. Does anyone have any experience ordering a custom design from whiteflash? How much more should I expect to pay over a standard setting?

This, very similar, non-custom design is about $1k in platinum:
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/true-love-diamond-engagement-ring-510.htm

Also I was wondering if it is more critical to get her ring size correct with a custom design or if they would re-size it for me no problem.

Then I was trying to decide how big of a diamond to get, the picture is only 3/4 carat but I assume they take photos of super small rings to make the diamond look big. yeah?

Budget is probably around $7-8k with the setting.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would just contact them for a quote. Do you know if she prefers more 'chunky' or more 'delicate' jewelry? The custom one looks more 'chunky' to me but still a very cool design!

rockwobble

Rough_Rock
I don't think she would want anything too chunky. Hard to tell from a picture if that is just an illusion. I guess the euro shank would add to the chunk.

I have seen some posts saying satin finish is easily damaged and requires a lot of care. Any one think I should stay away from satin? I really like the matte look though.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
rockwobble|1306977983|2935837 said:
Also I was wondering if it is more critical to get her ring size correct with a custom design or if they would re-size it for me no problem.

Then I was trying to decide how big of a diamond to get, the picture is only 3/4 carat but I assume they take photos of super small rings to make the diamond look big. yeah?

Budget is probably around $7-8k with the setting.

I think for a bezel or tension setting, you're going to want to get the ring size right on, since it could be difficult to re-size. Bezel maybe a little less, but still--you won't want her to have to return her ring for 10 days to have it re-sized immediately after getting engaged, you know?

Whiteflash's photos are of rings that they've made for customers. I don't think they take photos of rings with the idea of tricking you into thinking the center stone is bigger. In fact, when I've e-mailed to ask how a certain size stone will look in a certain setting, they have sent back additional photos and even customer's photos so I could get a better idea of size--very helpful!

I would also echo tyty and say that unless your GF specifically wants a bezel style or Euro shank, you might want to go for something more classic. I personally love bezel set stones, but I've only developed this love after seeing so many lovely examples on PS.

rockwobble

Rough_Rock
I am pretty sure she wants a bezel or half bezel setting. Doubt she knows what a euro shank is though so you may be right about staying away from that.

This one is really nice:

tyty333|1307047847|2936423 said:

Though I much prefer how WF does does its diamonds (with an ideal scope and such).

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that WF satin half-bezel ring you posted!

I just want to say IMHO I would not consider that to be a chunky ring at all -- the shank is definitely wider than the sub-2mm widths currently on trend particularly on PS, but I would guess the width to be maybe 3.5mm at its thickest, tapering to 3mm towards the diamond -- and depending on the center stone size and the ring size, more likely it is 3mm wide tapering to 2.5mm. Of course, my opinion is based on my ring size (6.25) - I guess if your FI's ring size was quite small it would take up more real estate comparatively speaking.

Something else to consider re your shank choice is -- will there be a wedding band that will be worn with it? If so, would you/she want the wedding band to sit flush against the ER or is a small gap preferred? Besides the flush/gap issue, if you decide to go with the Euro Shank for the ER, most likely the wedding band should also be a Euro Shank.

I have a couple of Euro Shank RH rings, and I wish my wedding set was Euro Shank. It makes for a very comfortable, balanced fit, and of course a Euro Shank design could work with most any shank width.

I have a satin finish ring (in Argentium Sterling, not gold or platinum), and while it is an occasional wear ring (not every day),it does not seem to show wear. The matte/frosty finish is very pretty and serves to highlight the shiny-polish bezel and the center stone. I don't know if the satin finish was on platinum if it would show wear more, but with even with high polish platinum you'd still take it in for repolishing periodically so it may just depend on your druthers. I DO agree with the others who suggest you be sure your FI would be delighted with the satin finish -- it is unusual and gives a very different effect.

Good luck with your ring project!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1307063584|2936586 said:
I love that WF satin half-bezel ring you posted!

Something else to consider re your shank choice is -- will there be a wedding band that will be worn with it? If so, would you/she want the wedding band to sit flush against the ER or is a small gap preferred? Besides the flush/gap issue, if you decide to go with the Euro Shank for the ER, most likely the wedding band should also be a Euro Shank.

Good luck with your ring project!
I have a solitaire e-ring that is Euroshank and my matching wedding band is a simple round metal band. They work fine together.

Remember, when wearing a Euroshank, you don't see the shank from the top of the hand. I love the design since it helps to keep the diamond up.

Best of luck in choosing a setting. I love bezels and semi-bezels, and all of your choices are very nice.

anitabee

Shiny_Rock
first off, wanna say how much i love ALL your choices! i agree, they're simply cool rings esp the first two. i'm chiming in because my ering USED to have a satin finish. got it from birks, here in canada, and for the first 6 or so months it looked fabulous. as time wore on, however, the finish eventually wore off. if you want to refinish it (if it's gold), they basically brush it to make it look matte which ultimately wears away the gold.

my ering is now shiny and sorta scratched looking.

long story short... matte finishes do not last.

i'm adding my orig ering simply to show you my own bezel setting. and btw, the band underneath the sapphire ering was the piece that had the satin finish to it.

blue%20nice.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really like the True Love design, it is really nice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results