shape
carat
color
clarity

Sarin symmetry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

acbutk

Rough_Rock
What does it say about a stone if the the symmetry grades in all categories on the stone''s sarin report are 0? I know that there was recently a gigantic thread about AGS grading, but what does this mean about a stone''s proportions?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 4:50:46 PM
Author:acbutk
What does it say about a stone if the the symmetry grades in all categories on the stone's sarin report are 0? I know that there was recently a gigantic thread about AGS grading, but what does this mean about a stone's proportions?
(Sorry, just more complementary questions)...

And....

a) on the Search by cut db here, what is the number in the AGS column telling you (and who's reporting it), and ...
b) on the big db here, when you check the AGS0 box, what are you getting?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sarin doesn''t measure symmetry. It measures the angles of the various facets.

The tool allows for a fair number of reporting options but one of the popular ones is reporting the average values of some of the similar facet types (like crown mains and pavilon mains) as a single value and then ranks this value using the old AGS grading scale. The scale goes from 0-10 with 0 at the top. The ranges for each of the various scores is discussed in the tutorial at the top of the page. What you can and can''t conclude from this data is a hotly debated topic here. You can find threads about it by searching for ''AGS 0'', ''Sarin'', ''ideal'', and similar words.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 7:14:13 PM
Author: denverappraiser

... and then ranks this value using the old AGS grading scale.
Neil, the premise of the long thread acbutk points to is that there ARE new charts from AGS...and these have been used to plot the points in the current HCA tool.

a) despite the fact that these are guides vs. determinants...are you sure they are not practically programmed into any sarin apparatus?
b) for the search by cut db here...I presume the new grades can be imputed and applied. I don''t think they''re being automatically "picked up," as they probably are in the case of the big db here. Seems it should be clarified whether old charts or new ones are being applied to the sbc db.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ira,

Sarin sells a version of the AGS PGS software that integrates seamlessly with their equipment but the resultant reports don’t normally contain the word ‘Sarin’ on them and they look quite different from the familiar sarin reports that you see here. Few dealers and hardly any consumers are likely to describe them as a Sarin report even though they were produced using measurements made by Sarin equipment.

The biggest single difference between the new system and the old is that the various parameters don’t stand alone in the new approach. Certain combinations of attributes will now score better (or worse) than the individual ones would have ranked in the old system.

I have no idea how the backend of the ‘search by cut’ db here works. My guess is that dealer simply includes extra fields in each record to indicate cut rank, H&A, etc. and that there is not an automatic credibility check built in for this. Perhaps the admin or one of the dealers can answer where this data comes from. Is the AGS score calculated or entered by the dealer?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results