shape
carat
color
clarity

Sarin report--need help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spice06

Rough_Rock
I recently had a Sarin report done on a diamond--paid $35.00for the report. I had it done two places. And both came out to being very similar. But, to my suprise the sarin report differ fom the GIA report. The table on the GIA report read 67% and the table on the Sarin report (same diamond) read 72%. Should this happen? I thought both Sarin and GIA reports should be exactly the same. Please advice. All suggestion welcome--as I am confused. Thanks.

spice06

Rough_Rock
yeah--everthing else matched up perfectly--. The only thing that was really off was the aforementioned. The seller stated that he needs to get the Sarin machine calibrated. But, then another independently appraiser came out with same rsult. GIA table stating 61.6 and sarin 72%. The independent appraiser appraised it for $6900. Diamond cost is $5550. Final sale is based on appraisal, and close match. Unsure as to what to do--help! Is the difference to large--and how concern should I be. Thanks--

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
First you said that the GIA listed the table as 67%, and then you said 61.6%?

Regardless, either of these measurements is a BIG difference between what the cert states and what the independents are telling you. The difference between 61.6% and 72% is HUGE.

Yes, I would be concerned. GIA makes mistakes, but this one would be quite unusual.

A GIA certed stone always brings a premium because it has a cert. If that cert is not proper, or not the right cert, the stone should be cheaper or the mistake should be corrected.

I would call GIA (or have your jeweler call them), and ask them what's up. See if they have a clue, or if they'll re-check the stone for you at no charge.

Now, an additional problem. If the stone is a 61.6% table, great. If it's a 67% table.....well okay...maybe. If it's a 72% table, that's considered a "spread" crown. Not considered a desirable characteristic. A 72% table is usually accompanied by a lack of "fire" (dispersive colored light return). Often there will be a very thin to extremely thin girdle as well, which makes it susceptible to nicking and chipping over the years.

Post all the characteristics so we can muse on it for a while...

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

spice06

Rough_Rock
Okay, the GIA cert read as follows:

1.08/G/VS1
depth: 61.6%
table: 67%

Both Sarin reports read the following:

depth: 61.5%
table: 72%
Crown Ht: 5.7%
Crown Angle: 22.7
Pavil Depth: 27.3

What do you think? Is a 5% difference reasonable?? Why would the GIA report be so off on the table??

Any thoughts.:appl:

hope

Rough_Rock
Interesting. I had Sarins done on a few emerald cuts, and three of the stones came up with very different table measurements too. The GIA report listed them as 67%, but the Sarin said 71%! We even did the Sarin twice on one of the stones, but the result was the same.

I think had I been interested in either, I would have requested a new measurement by hand. In fact, when I went for an appraisal with the stone I settled on, I specifically asked for the table to be double checked, even though it had come up the same on both reports.

Also interesting that neither jeweller seemed terribly disturbed by the discrepancy -- just sort of shrugged their shoulders and left the ball in my court.

Good luck with your decision,

Hope

spice06

Rough_Rock
Much thanks Hope. Do you think the crown height of 8.0% is still too low. Or should I try to get an emerald with a higher crown height.

hope

Rough_Rock
I wish I could help you more, but I'm such a novice, I'm really not in a position to offer advice on the crown height. I still have questions on that in the stone I'm buying -- the height is 9.5. But I love it so, that I'm taking it. It was the only stone I never wanted to see put away or part with!

Lots of stones I saw had crowns of 6%; only two were over 10.3 -- but I didn't take them for other reasons. I was very surprised that there weren't more with higher crowns. I went to many shops and dealers in NYC and my local area, even asking them to look for stones with certain specifications beyond what they had on hand.

If you love this stone, and still have questions about the table size, perhaps consider having an appraiser measure by hand! Could it be that the Sarin machine was not completely accurate and the table is as shown on its papers? That's my very humble novice/consumer opinion.

Lots of luck -- I hope you find the stone you love!

Hope

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results