shape
carat
color
clarity

Sarin Report/ Fred Cuellar/Princess cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jeff

Rough_Rock
I was wondering why everyone keeps telling me to get a Sarin Report, but no one will give me the correct measurements to look for. I''ve seen the AGA system, but it doesn''t use a lot of measurements from the Sarin report. I''m looking for a Princess cut diamond, but the only place I''ve been given actual numbers was from Fred Cuellars book: Crown angle 32-35 degrees, Crown height 11.2-16.2%, Pavilion angle 43.3-46.8%, and Pavilion Depth 47.1-53.1%. If anyone has any sugguestions with actual numbers please help. I didn''t say I agree with Mr. Cuellar, but at least he will actually give me something to go by and not just tell me brilliant scope reports are the only way to tell if a princess is cut well.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi Jeff!
wavey.gif

Click on the Tutorial link above. On the Tutorial homepage is a left hand side bar. Look toward the bottom and you will find the link to the AGA Princess Cut Charts. Crown and Pavillion angles are very important when considering a princess cut. Too steep or too shallow Crown angles can lead to various potential physical hazards and impact visual performance.

Fancy Cuts are tough. They really need to be evaluated by a pro and seen personally to judge visual performance.

You might be comparing Sarin info on a round brilliant to the Sarin on a Princess. The Sarin on a Princess may not be as complex(ie, total number of angles), but every bit as important in determining Cut quality and potential visual performance.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second PQ on checking out the AGA cut grade charts. You can also find them at www.gemappraisers.com.

They will give you the ranges of what constitutes a well cut fancy stone, so you can determine whether or not you want an AGA 1a cut grade stone, or a 3A for budget reasons etc etc.

Also an IdealScope for fancy cut stone viewing goes a long way..you can see light loss and light return, so the numbers don't tell the entire story when it comes to fancy cut grading!!
1.gif

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results