shape
carat
color
clarity

Sarin / GIA discrepency

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jana

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

The diamond dealer I''m purchasing a diamond from had a Sarin report run for me. I was surprised to find there were discrepencies on several of the measurements - especially with respect to weight & culet info. From looking at other posts on the site, it looks like it is not uncommon for some calibration differences. Could someone take a look at the info I''ve provided below and let me know whether there is cause for concern?

Secondary questions:
If anyone has the time and is willing to run a DiamCalc, I''d appreciate it.

From the GIA cert:
Round Brilliant
6.55-6.61-3.96
1.03 carat, GVS2
depth 60.2%
table 57
girdle: thin - medium, faceted
culet: None
polish: VG
symmetry: VG

From the Sarin report:

AGS 0 1.041 ct
diam: 6.57 (6.54 - 6.59) * 3.98
depth: 60.6%
crown: 34.6'' 15.2%
pavillion: 40.7'' 42.3%
table: 3.66mm 55.8%
culet: 0.5% v. small
girdle: 1.5% (1.1-2.0)%

Thanks in advance! I''ve learned lots from this site.
Jana

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It looks like another sarin machine needs calibration but I am sure this is the same diamond. The GIA report rules here. I don't know what clarity it is but try matching the inclusions on the cert to the ones in the diamond. It looks like a very nice diamond with lots of sparkle.
Enjoy!

Jana

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply. The diamond is sparkly - much more sparkly then the stuff I had looked at in retail stores- and I am expecting to truly enjoy wearing it. That said, I'm sure I will enjoy more with the additional knowledge I'm getting here before I have it set.

The clarity on it is a VS2. From looking at the cert & the diamond under a microscope, I am able to match it by a feather - which looks to be in the center. The other inclusions are a few pinpoints.

Perhaps I am being naive, but I figure the feather will be a good means for identification. Is this a good way of thinking about it? Does a feather weaken the diamond? Are there any special concerns for setting a diamond w/a feather? Do feathers grow?

Thanks again!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Feathers grow only if you water them. :razz: hehe... just kidding. Feathers generally are only of concern within the Imperfect category. In most SI's and in higher clarity grades it's generally not a cause for concern but only a qualified gemologist could tell you this for sure after an inspection of the stone.

Concerning the measurements on the Sarin/GIA I find the measurements to be a little off from time to time and I have found GIA measurements to be in error from time to time. A professional 2nd opinion is always the best advice. RockDoc, Atlas or Rich Sherwood come highly recommended and these guys can also give you some type of optical analysis to confirm/deny actual brilliancy within the stone as well. From the #'s it looks like you're not doing bad though.

Peace,
Rhino

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
You need to know more......

First you should ask WHICH SARIN model was used.

The DIA SCAN and the DIAMENSION are the most accurate.

The Brilliant EYE has the least amount of accuracy.

In addition, many dealers say they are providing a Sarin report, when in fact they have the OGI machine. While the OGI is OK, it doesn't have the accuracy of the high end Sarin machines. That has been my experience in comparing OGI and Sarin reports.

In addition, the reports from these machines can vary, based on what the person provides to you.

Ask the dealer or appraiser which machine was used... But there are variances in all the machines, so if the differences are small, that is probably acceptable too.
Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results