shape
carat
color
clarity

Sarin for gemstones other than diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does it work on them?
Is there a similar tool for them if it doesnt?

I realize cut plays second fiddle to color in the gemstone market but am curious if such a tool exists.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Yes it works fine, I've had a colored stone or two sarined so I'd have a record of the proportions. As far as I know, there's nothing special about what kind of material is measured (steel, glass, whatever) - I think it shines a light on the stone, casting a shadow that's "read" with something like a ccd; the stone sits on a small turntable so that repeated measurements can be made at different orientations.

I think folks should pay more attention to gemstone cut. If the cut is bad the gem has no life...kindof defeats the purpose don't you think? Nice color and no life - it's why I don't usually care for cabochons
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
kewl
thanks for the info.

My guess is that the lesser availability and more variables keep cut from being a huge factor compared to diamonds.
D-E-F colored diamonds are way more plentiful than say top color ruby.
So the vendors can say take it our leave it when it comes to cut.
The more common gemstones the prices likely dont support great cutting.

But then again I could be wrong it wouldnt be the first time...lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results