shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphires!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really love Sapphire''s. This Picture is of a Intense Deep Pink Sapphire. I think I really am mezmerized by the many shades, color''s and intensities that Sapphires come in. The color demands a premium in gems and this one sure is a beauty!!! I hope people add their comments of their Favorite pic''s and cuts as time goes on..

Cut Design: Barion Oval, 85 facets
Origin: Tanzania
Carat Weight: 1.80 Ct.
No Heat Treatments Applied to this Stone.
Gem Cutter: Allen Smith

Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

Sap.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Another Pink Sapphire. This particular gem was sourced from Ceylon. It is a 4.14 cusion cut stone.

9.gif

Josh RIoux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

iiiiii.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a 2.00 carat oval cut Orange Sapphire. Stone was heat treated to enhance color.

Josh RIoux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

orangesapp.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here is a rare Kashmir Sapphire which sommands a high premium in the market because of the lack of mining that went out about 100 years ago. Most of these gems are found in old antique or esate pieces....This is a 3.97 Cushion Cut Stone
10.gif

Josh RIoux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

397kasmirCushion.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's a 10.96 ct. Cusion Cut Purple Sapphire from the Ceylon Region. Wow!
16.gif

Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

1096purceyloncushion.jpg

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is a 3.65 yellow round sapphire also from Ceylon....

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

3.65 yellow round.jpg

andrea

Shiny_Rock
When I think of a sapphire, I think of blue.
Not purple, orange, or pink.
What constitutes these colors as sapphires, or for that matter any other colored gem
confused.gif
confused.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 5/5/2003 12
6.gif
6.gif
8 AM andrea wrote:

When I think of a sapphire, I think of blue.
Not purple, orange, or pink.
What constitutes these colors as sapphires, or for that matter any other colored gem
confused.gif
confused.gif
----------------

Hi Andrea-

As you see above there can be a lot of different colors. All the gems above are chemically composed of the same elements and are a form of the mineral corundum. There are different trace elements present in these stones which are responsible for the color.

If you to take some time and Click on the links I posted below for you, it might help you understand in more detail:

www.yourgemologist.com/sapphire.html
www.yourgemologist.com/ruby.html

Interestingly enough, not to add to your your confusion but did you know the the only color that sapphire does not come in is red. That's because Ruby is chemically made up of the same elements of sapphire, but it is red and only red. Any other color variation in the corundum family is considered a sapphire. Chemically all the same, but the red differentiates ruby from sapphire.

Another example where a stone falls under the same name, but is a different color is the case of the emerald. When you think of emeralds you think of green right? Well I was reading some literature online today about a mine which is now closed in utah that produced some stunning red colored Beryl (the emerald family of gemstones ) The red is a result of the chemical maganese when the stone was formed deep in the earths crust. Just as maganese gives the red life to this emerald, other chemical elements are responsible for the different colors in sapphires. Acts of nature and what region a certain gem is sourced from plays a big role in the saturation and intensity of color.

Read the articles if you have time and let me know what you think...

Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
16.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Speaking of rubies, Andrea, the "pink sapphires" they're selling nowadays are nothing more than rubies that are so light of a color that they're the dregs of rubies. So, they're marketing them as pink sapphires instead.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Are the sapphires that you buy at the mines likeley to be treated? My friend brought me back a green one that she bought at a mine in madagascar.

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock

----------------
On 8/14/2003 8:51:45 AM innerkitten wrote:
Are the sapphires that you buy at the mines likeley to be treated? My friend brought me back a green one that she bought at a mine in madagascar.
----------------
Treated? No. Synthetic? You betcha. The only people who should be buying gemstones at the mines are experienced gem dealers. All others (tourists, etc.) are just begging to get scammed. Even experienced dealers get taken from time to time.

Gemstudded

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/14/2003 8:51:45 AM innerkitten wrote:

----------------

If its small it could be geniune, over 1.5ct and I'd get it checked, although green Sapphires can be very cheap as they are not the most desirable of Sapphires.
There are lots of scammers in Africa as there are in South-East Asia and buying from locals can be a problem for the unknowing tourist. If its included it's probably genuine(under a loupe) or something else not so bad, if its totally clean it may be glass and therefore junk. It also depends if its rough or cut, I'm presuming its cut.
I am going solely on presumption though, as I cannot see the actual stone which would make it a bit easier to judge its authenticity.
rolleyes.gif

Gemstudded

Rough_Rock

Treated? possibly but a lot of African isn't, hard to tell without analysis.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 5/4/2003 9:50:18 AM scorpion wrote:

This is a 3.65 yellow round sapphire also from Ceylon....

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

----------------

Hi!

Your pictures come from cherrypicked.com, right? So, now I said it, with the invitation to this very nice site. I have nothing to do with it, other than having the address on my list of "often visits". To find even more great sapphire colors try Pala International, Africagems and Walter Arnstein. The site ruby-sapphire.com (and the book) will make most reasonable people forget the "blues" (as in sapphire blue) and get lost in the rainbow (as in all other sapphire colors). Personally? I like the greens and the non-blue stars. Has anyone seen a good green star sapphire? I have found two (got one) but these were quite at the lower end. Again, I would welcome suggestions about what is a good source of fancy color star sapphire. The one I know (and passed by) is ukgems -- a dingy website-- infront of a great, classic, London business.

Thanks in advance,
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 5/3/2003 4:19:24 PM scorpion wrote:

I really love Sapphire's. This Picture is of a Intense Deep Pink Sapphire. I think I really am mezmerized by the many shades, color's and intensities that Sapphires come in. The color demands a premium in gems and this one sure is a beauty!!! I hope people add their comments of their Favorite pic's and cuts as time goes on..

Cut Design: Barion Oval, 85 facets
Origin: Tanzania
Carat Weight: 1.80 Ct.
No Heat Treatments Applied to this Stone.
Gem Cutter: Allen Smith

Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

----------------

By the way, I've heard there is opal and emerald minig bound to develop in Alaska... do you know anything?

I would love to know more.

4.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
By the way, I've heard there is opal and emerald minig bound to develop in Alaska... do you know anything?

I would love to know more.

Valeria101:

Well hello there. I see you share a passion in colored gemstones like I do. It is very interesting that the net does have a couple places which offer fine color which accompanies AGTA certs, but the net really has not met the world of marketing colored gems like the market for diamonds.

What my real passion for is finding crisp clean gems of vivvid extraordinary color. I love to design custom pieces on paper and find different custom cut gemstones that would fit the look or "theme" of the piece I am drawing out. I also am stunned by the visual impact concave faceting has. Really astounding results on this cutting technique.

Have you ever seen any of ZRichard Homer's Cuts.....Beautiful...

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
wink2.gif

gemexplorer

Rough_Rock
Josh,

Sometime this week I will show you some of my gem cutter pal Geraldo Brandao from Brazil and his cuts - I think you will be fascinated by his cut as well. Yes, a good cut gems says a thousand words. Richard Homers cut gems are nice also. But there will be many others and they don't have to be expensive neither.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Paul,

I look forward to seeing his cuts..

I received your email,Thank You!

-Josh Rioux
Sitka, Alaska
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results