shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphires

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curious

Rough_Rock
Which shape of sapphire is the least expensive???

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
I'm not really sure but I would think oval beings they are quite common. Hopefully someone else with more gem experience will be able to tell you for certain. :))

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
good guess LL.

Sapphires and ruby are corundum and the crystal comes in a barrel shape - cushion or slightly rectangular oval of about 1.2-1.4 times longer than wide is most common. Long (1.4 - 1.5) is probably nicer, but it is a personal thingy.

(Round is very expensive)

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info. Garry:wink2:

Now I partly know why this lil piece of rock cost me a pretty penny.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Ladyluck, here is your photo :)

jpgsappvs.jpg

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Thanks Leonid. What a sweetheart you are. I must have been having a blonde moment

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Thank you again Garry for the compliment. It has got to be one of my favorite pieces of jewelry. I was always a huge sapphire lover until I discovered what a well cut diamond looks like; thanks to this site and all of you who contribute to it. :appl:

ChetLaura

Rough_Rock
What a gorgeous ring!!!! I have just recently developed a love for sapphires myself. I actually set my diamond between two sapphires, and I couldn't be happier with the ring.

I have to agree that the knowledge of a quality cut diamond gives a whole new meaning to diamonds for me also. Thanks for all the expert advice/education of this site!

:appl:

ChetLaura

Rough_Rock
:)) Oops - Posted twice for some reason!!

curious

Rough_Rock
What do you think of princess cut Sapphires? How about pear?

I plan to set it in a w/g channel set baguette setting.

That ring u posted is magnificent...the color is beautiful!!!!

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your kind words curious.

The shape of a stone is really a matter of personal preference. As you can probably tell, I'm a sucker for rounds. Princess cuts are not appealing to me at all. If I had to choose between the two shapes you have specified I would go for the pear. However, with baguettes I would think something more on the squarish line would go well.

curious

Rough_Rock
I have a round diamond engagement ring, so I wanted something different.

Maybe an emerald cut, although I think you can see more flaws in that stone.

How would you describe the color of your ring? Blue-Purple?????

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
I agree that perhaps you can see more flaws in an emerald cut but inclusions are quite natural in colored stones. You can find them where you cannot see the inclusions with the naked eye but of course they command a higher price. The GIA divides colored stones into Type I, Type II and Type III and then uses terms typical in grading diamonds like VVS, VS and SI. Also, color which consists of hue, tone and saturation is everything in a colored stone. Hue is the color that you notice immediately. Whereas, tone is the lightness or darkness of the stone. Saturation is the strength of the hue present. Lastly, don't forget cut (not shape). All of these will determine the beauty and value of the stone along with carat weight.

As far as shape goes, emerald would definitely be second on my list; next to a round. I think emerald cuts are sophistocated looking.

The stone above is a non-treated, genuine Conshanobourie that weighs 3.07 carats. The color is medium-dark, strong blue and the clarity is VS1. The two side stones you see are trapezoid Ceylons. I personally don't see any purple in the stone although you may be perceiving it differently. All stones are about perception and the emotion it provokes. If it makes you smile and you can afford it then by all means it should be yours. :love:

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
wow! I love this ring...where did this come from?:))

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
It was purchased on jeweler's row in Philadelphia at a B&M store but I must admit, the price was comparable to on-line vendors.

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Having problems posting pics but if I can get Leonid to post them for me I will show you more of the ring.

rocknewbie

Rough_Rock
ladyluck:

That ring is absolutely gorgeous! That would have to be my dream ring.:love:

kathishopping

Rough_Rock
Was this ring custom made for you? It almost looks estate-like. My final questions...can I get one? Do you have the name of the b&m store in Philly?:rolleyes:

tonysgeko

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ladyluck , that's one mighty fine looking sapphire! I bet the pics don't do it justice. :-o

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
The ring is a semi-custom one. The setting is an antique repro but was only able to house a 1-1.5 ct. stone. Also, I was not too pleased with F-G color diamonds in the setting so I had them replaced with D color ones.

I'm sure you can still find the setting itself down at Debs Jewelers on Eighth St. but, I must give you a few words of caution. The ring has 42 diamonds and the setting is in platinum making it quite heavy. Also, the metal on the sides of the ring were scratching against my other fingers which made it uncomfortable to wear. I had it polished down and it is fine now.

Pictures do the ring absolutely no justice whatsoever. It was given to me as a get well present along with a matching bracelet a few years back. It didn't cure me but it sure as heck made me feel better.:bigsmile:

curious

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the info.

The ring looks like it is set in yellow gold is it actually Plat (white)?

I love purple, so maybe that is why my eyes see it that way...regardless it is lovely.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring ladyluck! :) I switched out the diamond sidestones in my ring for sapphires and I like the look much better. Now my diamond really pops. The contrast makes it stand out like a little headlight. :) Blue is my favorite color anyway.

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Hi Lawmax:wavey:

Your ring sounds beautiful! :)) Maybe you can post a pic. We'd love to see it.

The ring is platinum; ie., white. The stones and the metal appear yellow in the pictures but in real life it is not.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
If I ever get back out to StevL's store, I'll ask him to take a picture of it for me. :)

ladyluck

Rough_Rock
Sounds great! I look forward to it especially since I haven't seen many Eightstars. :))

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results