shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphires or diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
As some of you know, my boyfriend and I are considering a sapphire for our center stone in a three stone setting (diamonds as side stones). We''ve contacted WF for pricing quotes and we''ve forwarded them pictures of settings and sapphire colors we love. Now we''re waiting to hear back from them to see what they say.

My boyfriend stated to me yesterday that he loves the idea of color, but he wants it to be known when people look at it that my ring will indeed be an engagement ring. I think he''s now wondering if going with three diamonds will be more obvious and more "engagement-like." I don''t see a problem with going with a colored stone and I think they''ll be equally beautiful. I know it just comes down to personal preference. For those of you who have had a colored stone in your engagement ring, have you ever wished you had a diamond instead? Did it give you a different feeling than if you had an all-diamond ring?

Maybe I should have put this into the Colored Stone forum?

lucyloo

Shiny_Rock
Hi zoebartlett,

I have a diamond center stone with sapphire sides and have not wished for diamond sides instead. See avatar.

I love color because it''s a little different than diamond side stones.
What you pick will be perfect because ultimately it is what you and your BF love that really matters!
1.gif

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Well, I don''t have an ER but if that can help Lady Diana had a sapphire with little diamonds all around as an ER
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 12:30:43 PM
Author: ayala_jessica
Well, I don''t have an ER but if that can help Lady Diana had a sapphire with little diamonds all around as an ER
9.gif

A friend of mine has an exact copy of that! It''s stunning.

I don''t think that a nice saphire with diamonds ring will look less serious than a diamond ring. It''s a typical, but then... so was Diana!

It depends on the setting, and how you wear it. IMO.

I have an acquaintance who is trying to force her BF into an engagement he''s not really for... and so she made him by her an aquamarine ring and she wears that as her e-ring. But it''s not an ering, and ... well, the way she wears it makes that obvious. I can''t explain it any better than that.

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 12:44:42 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 2/11/2007 12:30:43 PM
Author: ayala_jessica
9.gif

A friend of mine has an exact copy of that! It''s stunning.

I don''t think that a nice saphire with diamonds ring will look less serious than a diamond ring. It''s a typical, but then... so was Diana!

It depends on the setting, and how you wear it. IMO.

I have an acquaintance who is trying to force her BF into an engagement he''s not really for... and so she made him by her an aquamarine ring and she wears that as her e-ring. But it''s not an ering, and ... well, the way she wears it makes that obvious. I can''t explain it any better than that.
Yes Gypsy, that ring always made me dream and that setting was quite a classic in Europe for decades. I love beautiful star Birman or Kashmiri sapphires...They have a special glow that is unique..Unfortunately the mines are quite empty now
40.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
And the existing ones cost a ton.

If my friend (who happens to be DF''s happily married ex-GF) hadn''t gotten that ring... it totally would have topped my list.

I think color is great as long as you have th confidence to wear something a little different.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring which Princess Diana had was a large ceylon sapphire and each of the diamonds around it was quarter of a carat in size
30.gif
, so 3.5 carat total weight of diamonds, I think the sapphire was 16 carats.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
When I lived in Boston, it was not unusual for a three-stone engagement ring, with the sapphire as the center stone, to be given. In fact, that was what I received as my first engagement ring from "H-1."
2.gif

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! I agree -- it does depend on how you wear a ring, and it doesn''t matter to me if people question me as to whether it''s an engagement ring. WE''ll know and that''s what counts. It''s probably now just a matter of assuring my boyfriend that we''ll love it -- no matter what color. I had forgotten about Princess Diana''s ring. Stunning, definitely!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 1:09:16 PM
Author: Pyramid
The ring which Princess Diana had was a large ceylon sapphire and each of the diamonds around it was quarter of a carat in size
30.gif

Yeah... hers is huge too. Don''t know if its a ceylon saph. I''ve never asked.... Her hubby was with Microsoft when it exploded. *shakes head* If I could go back in time.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve seen many engagement rings that have a sapphire center and diamond sides. I think it''s a great look!!!

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 1:09:16 PM
Author: Pyramid
30.gif
Thanks for the specs Pyramid...I can see why I've been drooling on pictures of her ring even when a kid
3.gif

For that matter...I already had a thing for sparklies when in the craddle
11.gif

And yes Gypsy, the remaining sapphires do cost a ton, I've seen some sparse specimens couple of years ago in an auction...Prices blowed me off !

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
good god no, i don''t regret my spess as an e-ring! after i saw it i couldn''t even contemplate getting a diamond!

personally, the e-ring was for me and should be what i want and not what other people expect. didn''t even cross my mind that people would not approve or note that it was an e-ring.

get what you want....you''re going to be wearing it and enjoying it. and come on over to the color forum for more support for color!

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results