shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire vs Diamond E-ring

theRNkatie

Rough_Rock
Hi! I'm new here. My mother told me about this site years ago and now that my boyfriend and I are discussing engagement rings I decide to join. Currently the big question is Sapphire or Diamond. My boyfriend prefers sapphire and while my initial reaction was "no I want a diamond" after more research I've really come around to the sapphire. I tend to be drawn to the more aqua blue-green sapphires. My mother who typically LOVES to talk jewelry doesn't seem on board at all and thinks long term I won't be happy with a sapphire. Anybody have a sapphire engagement ring? Any regrets?

Thanks in advance!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gut feels tend to be correct. I think deep down, you truly want a diamond and there's nothing wrong with that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you shouldnt have to come around to your engagement ring. If you want a diamond get a diamond. if he likes sapphire, then he can get himself one :wink2:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1479224162|4098807 said:
you shouldnt have to come around to your engagement ring. If you want a diamond get a diamond. if he likes sapphire, then he can get himself one :wink2:

:appl: :appl: :appl:

Yes. Get a diamond.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a colored stone girl and boy do I love them to bits, but they are different from diamonds. My advice is don't settle. Maybe down the line for anniversary get a sapphire RHR. But get a diamond for your ering if thats what you really and truly want.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Arcadian|1479226017|4098818 said:
I'm a colored stone girl and boy do I love them to bits, but they are different from diamonds. My advice is don't settle. Maybe down the line for anniversary get a sapphire RHR. But get a diamond for your ering if thats what you really and truly want.
What Arcadian said.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about a 3 stone engagement ring with either a centre diamond and two sapphire side stones or a centre sapphire and two diamond side stones? But if your heart says diamond, get a diamond. This is a ring you'll be wearing for many years and it should make your heart sing every time you look at it. I love coloured gemstones and have many different rings I alternate wearing with a wedding band but I still love my diamond engagement ring the most.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What they all said :) Go with your heart since it's a forever ring that you'll always treasure and wear.

Coloured stones are so much fun and there's so much to read and hunt for, that can always come along a lil' later for anniversary rings and the like!

porkandham

Rough_Rock
I agree with everyone else. Get what you want. You can always incorporate sapphires into a three stone ring if that interests you, or you could get a wedding band with sapphires. Or wait and a sapphire right hand ring down the road. You're the one wearing the ring. Get one that you love!

luxroman

Rough_Rock
Hi theRNkatie!

I'll share my perspective in order to give you another view, as you've asked for it and as I was in pretty much the same position as you seem to be. When my finacé and I started talking about marriage and engagement, the engagement ring for me was to have a diamond. He proposed to look at other stones, which I at first was not thrilled to do, but ended up becoming very enthusiastic by the idea. As much as it is true that what you want is what will make you the happier, you have to think deeply what you really want... I decided I wanted a ring to represent our couple.

The only reason I sometimes wish I had a diamond is because of its greatest reflection of light. Otherwise, I love my ring. It represents different values to me, such as love, humility, compromise... Even originality and difference a bit (because let's be honest, although you can find a lot of coloured stone engagement rings within this forum, it is a lot less common in the outside everyday world). I am very proud of wearing my sapphire engagement ring because I am very proud of the engagement it represents. For me, that's the number one thing.

Again, this is only my experience and my perspective, and I know many people differ from these thoughts. It's something very personal. Good luck with your decision! Whatever you decide, there are people here very knowledgeable and generous that will help you get a great stone ;-)

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luxroman|1479230730|4098861 said:
Hi theRNkatie!

I'll share my perspective in order to give you another view, as you've asked for it and as I was in pretty much the same position as you seem to be. When my finacé and I started talking about marriage and engagement, the engagement ring for me was to have a diamond. He proposed to look at other stones, which I at first was not thrilled to do, but ended up becoming very enthusiastic by the idea. As much as it is true that what you want is what will make you the happier, you have to think deeply what you really want... I decided I wanted a ring to represent our couple.

The only reason I sometimes wish I had a diamond is because of its greatest reflection of light. Otherwise, I love my ring. It represents different values to me, such as love, humility, compromise... Even originality and difference a bit (because let's be honest, although you can find a lot of coloured stone engagement rings within this forum, it is a lot less common in the outside everyday world). I am very proud of wearing my sapphire engagement ring because I am very proud of the engagement it represents. For me, that's the number one thing.

Again, this is only my experience and my perspective, and I know many people differ from these thoughts. It's something very personal. Good luck with your decision! Whatever you decide, there are people here very knowledgeable and generous that will help you get a great stone ;-)

I think you should get what you makes your heart sing, and it sounds like a diamond will do that more than a sapphire. For example when my ex and I were planning on tying the knot I really wanted an emerald ring. It's what I wanted and at that time more special to me than a diamond. I do not have that ring any more but loved it to bits. And have had another emerald ring made. Getting married should only happen once a lifetime so I hope he get what reflects your wishes whatever they may be.
Ps: if you like the aqua colors, check into unheated aquamarines. They are not as hard as sapphires but really gorgeous!

theRNkatie

Rough_Rock
Wow you guys are awesome! Thanks so much! I don't feel like I'm settling for the sapphire. I truly have found that I love them and think they are beautiful! My gut is actually saying sapphire at this point but it feels like my mom's doubts (which she denies but I can tell by her tone) and maybe society expectations are making me question. It also seems like finding the "right" sapphire may be more difficult than finding the "right" diamond. My boyfriend is happy to be buy me whichever one I want- he's made that clear. If I want a diamond he will happily buy me a diamond but he was very honest in saying that he prefers the sapphire. I appreciated his honesty and I've had a lot of fun looking at the different sapphires.

The three stone idea has come up and we were thinking sapphire center stone with side diamonds. I also LOVE a halo though. I looked online at a 3 stone with halos but I'm not so sure about all of that on my finger.

Luxroman, I love the idea of the ring representing us as a couple. I also just like the idea of my engagement ring being different. I know every girl wants a unique engagement ring and since I like more simplistic settings the idea of the colored stone intrigues me.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if it's good enough for Princess Diana, should be good enough for you, right? If you did go the sapphire route, I would try to go for one that is more the trade ideal than an unusual color. I do love blue-green colors, but in sapphires that can be a tricky color in that it may have modifiers and also may shift depending on the lighting. For colored stones there is no substitute for seeing them in person, hopefully in multiple lighting conditions.

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
Sapphire engagement ring here (in my avatar) and I have no regrets whatsoever. I love that it changes from a blue-gray purple in natural light to magenta indoors, with flashes of actual red under our office lights. PS helped me pick out that rock 2 years ago and we are celebrating our first anniversary today :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
theRNkatie|1479238296|4098902 said:
Wow you guys are awesome! Thanks so much! I don't feel like I'm settling for the sapphire. I truly have found that I love them and think they are beautiful! My gut is actually saying sapphire at this point but it feels like my mom's doubts (which she denies but I can tell by her tone) and maybe society expectations are making me question. It also seems like finding the "right" sapphire may be more difficult than finding the "right" diamond. My boyfriend is happy to be buy me whichever one I want- he's made that clear. If I want a diamond he will happily buy me a diamond but he was very honest in saying that he prefers the sapphire. I appreciated his honesty and I've had a lot of fun looking at the different sapphires.

The three stone idea has come up and we were thinking sapphire center stone with side diamonds. I also LOVE a halo though. I looked online at a 3 stone with halos but I'm not so sure about all of that on my finger.

Luxroman, I love the idea of the ring representing us as a couple. I also just like the idea of my engagement ring being different. I know every girl wants a unique engagement ring and since I like more simplistic settings the idea of the colored stone intrigues me.

Ok so great, as long as YOU know thats what you want, then we're cooking with gas! :appl:

So lets talk about specifics. I know you said blue-green but that can mean...lots of things...lol

Montana Sapphires generally are blue to blue green. You COULD go with a medium blue which of course lighter than traditional blue, and could be very cost effective.

Oh and size matters :$$):

Do you have a general idea on what you want to spend for your center stone and about how much finger coverage your looking at?

theRNkatie

Rough_Rock
Sydneyatl, I love your ring and congrats on your anniversary!

Arcadian,
I have found that the montana sapphires are often the ones I am interested in based only on color. I like a VERY light almost aquamarine (but I would want a sapphire so it's a more durable gem) and then the blue green colors. Below are a few links to ones that caught my attention.

This one is more green but I still really like it!
http://www.earthstreasury.com/product/2-24-carat-mint-green-montana-sapphire/

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/ceylon_sapphire_2_10_carat/10880/16877

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/unheated_montana_sapphire_1_23/10883/20058

Thanks everyone!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gemstone preference is such a personal preference, really no substitute to seeing these in person. What I would do first, is go to a local store that works in gemstones, and see some in person. Then order some of these stones at the same time, so you can compare them in person.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what your price range is but I like this one
http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-montana-796

I'm posting the one below because the only greenish sapphire that made my mouth drop open, was one that was almost a lime or neon green. This looks like the kind I'm talking about. Very rare.
https://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/unusual-bright-apple-green-sapphire-diamond-ring-14kwg-1.95-ctw?cPath=140&

Probably not what you are looking for but I thought these were gorgeous!

https://www.simplysapphires.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=135&products_id=8008
https://www.simplysapphires.com/jewelry/top-rich-blue-ceylon-sapphire-diamond-platinum-ring-1.20-ctw?cPath=135&

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi RNkatie. I love the mint green sapphire you are considering from Earth's treasury. I see some grey in that stone but it is a beauty! All in all though I do want to caution you about getting a sapphire for an E-ring. I love colored stones even more than diamonds. But with that said they are not as durable as diamonds. Even if you are gentle you can expect some surface abrasions and chips on a daily worn sapphire within the first year of so.

theRNkatie

Rough_Rock
Woah that montana cushion cut at gem fix is BEAUTIFUL! I love it!

That is interesting about the wear. I thought I had read sapphires were one of the other gems that could handle daily wear. Is this not really the case? I thought diamond, sapphire, and ruby. I will say that ultimately I will probably not wear it to work much. I'm a nurse and I worry that the stone would come off in a glove or something crazy like that. It would be impossible to ever find. I know at first I'll wear it to work because I won't want to take it off but eventually I'll probably wear one of those silicone bands people who work out use. :) That being said I don't want to stress over damaging my ring when I do wear it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
theRNkatie|1479265326|4099132 said:
Woah that montana cushion cut at gem fix is BEAUTIFUL! I love it!

That is interesting about the wear. I thought I had read sapphires were one of the other gems that could handle daily wear. Is this not really the case? I thought diamond, sapphire, and ruby. I will say that ultimately I will probably not wear it to work much. I'm a nurse and I worry that the stone would come off in a glove or something crazy like that. It would be impossible to ever find. I know at first I'll wear it to work because I won't want to take it off but eventually I'll probably wear one of those silicone bands people who work out use. :) That being said I don't want to stress over damaging my ring when I do wear it.

Spinel, corundum (ruby and sapphire) and chrysoberyl are stones hard enough for daily wear.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a sapphire engagement ring that I've had over 5 years now and I have no regrets. BUT! I have always loved sapphires, they've been my favorite gemstone since I was old enough to know what a gemstone was, I didn't particularly want an engagement ring at all, don't have any attachment to and not much interest in white diamonds, and I am not the sort of person who worries about if the color of my ring clashes with what I'm wearing.

If you really want a diamond, get a diamond. If you really want a sapphire, get a sapphire. IF your boyfriend really wants you to have sapphire and you really want diamond, get a three stone (mine is a sapphire center with diamond sidestones specifically because my husband couldn't wrap his head around the idea of a ring without diamonds... maybe you could do a diamond center stone with sapphire sidestones, or a diamond solitaire and sapphire wedding band, or something). My advice is to both look at rings in person, and come up with something you BOTH love to represent your union.

While society's expectations may say diamond rings are traditional, I have never gotten ANY negative compliments on my sapphire ring and indeed only positive ones. Over five years later and I still get compliments weekly and strangers sometimes grab my hand to look at my ring occasionally.

My passionate opinion: sapphire, sapphire, sapphire ..... :appl: :appl:

Financially, unless you can afford colored or very big diamonds, I hear diamonds are a bad bet.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
normanintheskywithsapphires|1479301679|4099236 said:

Financially, unless you can afford colored or very big diamonds, I hear diamonds are a bad bet.
I would leave the financial side out of it. Gemstones in general are not a good investment. And the type of stone she wants won't hold any more value than a diamond as it's not a trade ideal.

Niel|1479304108|4099251 said:

I would leave the financial side out of it. Gemstones in general are not a good investment. And the type of stone she wants won't hold any more value than a diamond as it's not a trade ideal.

Short- to Mid-term, and occasion-wise you are surely right, but if I look in my grandma's jewelry box today, I wish she had taken more care what she bought in her good young days, namely spending 'a fortune' (her words) those days for a couple of one-two carat white diamonds worth no more fortune today. Don't you think I would be much more exited if she had spent the same amount those days in sapphire or ruby or alexandrite from Russia?

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Back on topic: One thing you might consider is a cabochon sapphire (rather than faceted sapphire) with a diamond halo or sidestones. The diamonds will still be stunning, but the sapphire is more subtle due to no facets....... I think you could make a gorgeous and unique engagement ring that would truly be one of a kind! Good Luck!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
normanintheskywithsapphires|1479307006|4099270 said:
Niel|1479304108|4099251 said:

Short- to Mid-term, and occasion-wise you are surely right, but if I look in my grandma's jewelry box today, I wish she had taken more care what she bought in her good young days, namely spending 'a fortune' (her words) those days for a couple of one-two carat white diamonds worth no more fortune today. Don't you think I would be much more exited if she had spent the same amount those days in sapphire or ruby or alexandrite from Russia?

im not going to argue with you on someone elses thread. I was advising the OP that she should not consider this an investment purchase because her style leans towards non trade ideal stones, which will not necessarily hold their value anyways.

you should buy what you enjoy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results