shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire size for engagement ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tessari

Shiny_Rock
Hello gemstone experts--

It''s been pretty tough finding sapphire solitaires at B&M stores to try for my engagement ring. We are looking for a cushion or oval solitaire with no diamonds on the ring...can anyone please offer any advice on what size looks good as a solitaire--but won''t make me look like I''m wearing something from a vending machine? I am very petite and more girl than woman if you know what I mean... and I have tiny hands (child-sized)--my ring size is 4.5. Would a 3 carat sapphire look ridiculous? Would trying on diamond solitaires of various sizes give me a good idea or do they look smaller because they are white?

Thanks!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is all a personal preference what size of stone you like. I think trying on diamonds would give you an idea what size you like. There are many popular vendors online where you can get great sapphires. I have had great luck getting beautiful sapphires from the Shane Company. I always pick out a loose stone and have it mounted in a semi mount. Good luck with your search.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think three carats would be pretty big on a little finger...now on my size 7 finger, it might be just right
31.gif
! Diamonds typically face up bigger than sapphires face up...per carat. Sapphires are more dense than diamonds, so if want the equivalent of a 2 ct diamond size, you will have to get a larger tcw stone to have it look similar. I am not sure, however, just how much bigger or what the ratio is...i am sure one of our colored stone experts might be able to chime in - cheers!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends on what look you are going for. Sapphires do face up smaller than diamonds at the same carat weight, so it''s important to compare millimeter measurements and NOT carat when comparing diamonds and sapphires. I do think that diamonds would give you a good idea of the mm size you''d want though if you can''t find any colored stones locally.

I have a size 5.5 finger and I have a 2.15 sapphire that I LOVE to wear with my wedding band. It looks about the same size as a 1.3-1.5 carat diamond, so it''s pretty big when you consider that, but at the same time looks nothing like a gumball machine ring.

I think it''s all in the quality and the details. A crappily made ring with a bad stone will look cheap no matter how big or small. A nicely made ring with a nice colored stone will be tasteful whether it is 1 carat or 3 carats.

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I''m also a size 4.5 and I think something equivalent to a 1.5-1.75 ct diamond would be perfect. How are you going to set it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results