shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Ring with Chip on... should I buy for engagement ring?

SophieM

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I have no experience in this area but am looking for an engagement ring. I have found a ring for sale at auction but the sapphire has a chip on it. Please see photo below where I have tried to circle it. There is no mention of it being synthetic but I am anxious it is - the condition report remarks on the chip and marks to the edge - would this happen on a natural sapphire? How much would the chip effect the value? Do you think it could be recut/repaired?

Many thanks for any help!

ring.jpeg With chip highlighted.jpeg

SophieM

Rough_Rock
To add to the above, I've just seen a photo of the hallmark, and it's from 1984

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I can't remark on your ring because I don't think you can tell if something is synthetic from a picture. But I can tell you chips, scratches, and abrasions can happen to all stones, mined or synthetic. Sapphires being higher on the list don't make them or diamonds impervious to damage. I have a topaz ring I stored next to my diamond engagement ring and it absolutely caused the natural Topaz to get a big scratch. My half eternity diamond band has a diamond near an edge with a dent in it that wasn't there when I bought it and the ring is made of mined stones. My mother's mined diamonds from almost almost 40 years ago have a cracked stone. She never even realised she did that until later when she went to pawn them and they pointed out the cracked one.

I'll leave the question of recutting it to someone else.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both natural and lab sapphires can chip, the only way to remove that chip would be to repolish the stone and I’m almost 100% that it would need to be removed from the setting.

The only way to know whether the sapphire is natural would be to send it to a lab. If a natural sapphire is important to you then you would probably be best off to buy a sapphire from a trusted colored stone vendor and have a setting made.

If you are open to a possible lab sapphire then essentially you just are buying based on aesthetic, with a vintage piece I would expect some evidence of age and wear. Only you know what is acceptable to you. If the chip in this ring bothers you now then it will probably always bother you. It is a pretty ring though.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stones can be repolished. It is risky without knowing more about the stone and it’s inclusions. Shipping back and forth with insurance plus the cost of repolish will eat away any “savings” you may get at auction. In the first pic, the diamonds look dark and not that great to me. So I would price it for the setting as it could be a damaged synthetic sapphire and not great diamonds. Can you see it in person before bidding? If you are sure it was made in 1984 it is likely a Princess Di knock off as her ring was very popular in the 80s. I think the setting is very pretty.

SophieM

Rough_Rock
Thank you! All of your points and advice is very useful! I can't see it beforehand but have got pictures of the hallmark (18ct gold, made in London in 1984) I hadn't thought about the princess Di connection but you are right!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This being a pre-owned "as-is" ring...it is very common to see a nick, chip, or abrasion on a facet from normal wear. I see this on a daily basis on older colored stone items. Just a personal decision if you are considering a purchase whether or not this is acceptable to you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results