shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Ring Project - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
After seeing a few nice rings from LOGR, I decided to give my sapphire a try. It is a 5.7ct unheated sapphire, medium dark blue, 9x11mm. Here are the rings I picked from LOGR, please cast your votes. I am envisioning something with diamonds, and since it will be a RHR, not wanting to make it a three stone ring. I don't want to set bezel because that will make the stone much darker. Additional suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option 4

Blue Sapp 200507_3.JPG

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Silly me!!! I started this topic then I saw cushioncutnut''s 20th sapphire ring. That''s the ring I want!

Although not sure if I can afford that ring right now, but I feel guilty now that I ever considered LOGR for my sapphire.

Thoughts, anyone?

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/you-could-even-say-it-glows-my-20th-anniversary-ring-is-here.102424/

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well, my initial reaction to your post was that your sapphire deserves a custom setting. I''m sure LOGR settings can be nice, especially considering the prices, but I''m not sure I''d be happy with how they''re made. OK, not everyone is as picky as me, but still...
2.gif

If you, however, decide to go with LOGR, I''d choose #3 cause accent stones on all the others are too small for such a substantial center stone. Such small melee is OK for stones of up to half a carat IMO, but anything larger than that and they simply get lost in the setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous sapphire! It''s not good to have the melee overpower the stone and also vice-versa, hence I second the 3rd setting. It looks more fitting for your 5 ct sapphire.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2009 8:20:59 AM
Author: ma re
Well, my initial reaction to your post was that your sapphire deserves a custom setting. I'm sure LOGR settings can be nice, especially considering the prices, but I'm not sure I'd be happy with how they're made. OK, not everyone is as picky as me, but still...
2.gif

If you, however, decide to go with LOGR, I'd choose #3 cause accent stones on all the others are too small for such a substantial center stone. Such small melee is OK for stones of up to half a carat IMO, but anything larger than that and they simply get lost in the setting.
I have to echo what Mr. Ma Rae said about the LOGR. That is a really special stone, and the LOGR would be nice maybe for a temporary setting, but I would want something super special for that. For me it's #3 as well. However, I'm such a nutball over art deco and I only want to see blue sapphires in white gold or platininum art deco inspired mount (that's just me).

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the advice. I am quite picky myself, and the idea of LOGR was well, impulsive, given the current financial situation. I have had the sapphire for 4 year so I really want to see it on my finger! I agree that this baby deserves a custom setting and I really like the one cushioncutnut made. I think I will start get quote on that design. Will be happy to report back if it actually happens.

There is one problem, given the size of the sapp, will it come out to be humongous? My finger size is 6.25.

Sigh, I have 9 more years to go to hit my 20th so hubby might not approve the spending (maybe he doesn't need to know?
5.gif

KatM

Shiny_Rock
ooo, number 2 is cool! i like that one.

im no help on sizing issues, as i''ve never worn anything that size.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2009 5:24:21 PM
Author: yingh

There is one problem, given the size of the sapp, will it come out to be humongous? My finger size is 6.25.
To put it in perspective (i.e. black on white), diameter of your finger is about 16.5 mm and the width of your sapphire is 9. That means the sapphire alone would cover more than half of your finger''s diameter, which is not small. And add to that 2 mm of diamonds on each side and you have about 13 out of 16.5 mm covered. That means the ring''s shank would be almost invisible. You would also end up with about 15 mm of the overall lenght on the finger, which is not something anyone can accomodate (depends where your knuckle starts). What you could do is angle the diamonds at 45 to save some space, but then diamonds would face up smaller i.e. too little for the center stone. Cushioncutnut did this design with a much smaller sapphire - her sapphire+halo is the same size as your sapphire alone, so try to imagine additional halo on her''s, for scale. One idea I have is to go with trillion melee instead of round, cause they might give the impression of smaller size as they narrow towards the tip, but I''m not sure if the overall arrangement would seem much smaller even then.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Ma Re, thanks for putting things in perspective. That helps a great deal! I really love Cushioncutnut''s ring, but after all the math I realized my sapphire is too big for that. My jeweler once told me that I should mount it as a pendant, but I want to be able to adore the sapphire when I wear it. Can''t get that with a pendant. The size of the sapphire is the main reason that keeping it from mounted all these years, I don''t know what to do!

How about this design? Again, it has diamonds but not all the way around. I need help, please!!!

Date: 2/9/2009 4:11:59 AM

To put it in perspective (i.e. black on white), diameter of your finger is about 16.5 mm and the width of your sapphire is 9. That means the sapphire alone would cover more than half of your finger''s diameter, which is not small. And add to that 2 mm of diamonds on each side and you have about 13 out of 16.5 mm covered. That means the ring''s shank would be almost invisible. You would also end up with about 15 mm of the overall lenght on the finger, which is not something anyone can accomodate (depends where your knuckle starts). What you could do is angle the diamonds at 45 to save some space, but then diamonds would face up smaller i.e. too little for the center stone. Cushioncutnut did this design with a much smaller sapphire - her sapphire+halo is the same size as your sapphire alone, so try to imagine additional halo on her''s, for scale. One idea I have is to go with trillion melee instead of round, cause they might give the impression of smaller size as they narrow towards the tip, but I''m not sure if the overall arrangement would seem much smaller even then.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
if Elizabeth Taylor can wear the Taylor Burton, you can wear this sapphire LOL!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
What a gorgeous color! I too feel that a stone such as that deserves a better setting, but I had a somewhat poor experiance with my LOGR setting.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 4:11:59 AM

To put it in perspective (i.e. black on white), diameter of your finger is about 16.5 mm and the width of your sapphire is 9. That means the sapphire alone would cover more than half of your finger's diameter, which is not small. And add to that 2 mm of diamonds on each side and you have about 13 out of 16.5 mm covered. That means the ring's shank would be almost invisible. You would also end up with about 15 mm of the overall lenght on the finger, which is not something anyone can accomodate (depends where your knuckle starts). What you could do is angle the diamonds at 45 to save some space, but then diamonds would face up smaller i.e. too little for the center stone. Cushioncutnut did this design with a much smaller sapphire - her sapphire+halo is the same size as your sapphire alone, so try to imagine additional halo on her's, for scale. One idea I have is to go with trillion melee instead of round, cause they might give the impression of smaller size as they narrow towards the tip, but I'm not sure if the overall arrangement would seem much smaller even then.
Hi Yingh.

I have been watching your project: how EXCITING! I too, second guessed myself so many times about 'how big', 'how small', round? oval? melee? sidestones? pears? Enough to make me nuts. So I thought I could help you visualize size-wise how something would look on your finger. (it also helps to draw it out and tape it on your hand - kid you not!)

Here's a pic of my BLUEBERRY showing ratio of ring to finger coverage:

Size 6
Sapphire = 7.6mm round
2 x pears (each are approx 5.5mm long

so 7.6mm + 5.5 + 5.5 = 18.6 + a bit of metal in between.

When we were designing my ring, I told WF I wanted about 18-19 mm side to side finger coverage. When I measure the width of my finger (not the diameter, but how much 'real estate' I have from side to side) I got about 20mm tops.

Here's a photo from the side so you can see the width of the ring related to the top of my finger. I am thrilled with the finger coverage: it is exactly what I was looking for.
LS

Foo160.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
(sorry that last one was so BIG!)

Here''s a pic from the top:

LS

Foo161.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2009 11:19:35 AM

How about this design? Again, it has diamonds but not all the way around. I need help, please!!!
Well, that sure is interesting. Can''t say it''s my cup of tea, but if you like it, why not. I came up with something similar to this, but with melee set "in the corners of oval" (if reading that makes any sense), cause that''s where you have the most room to spare without the whole thing looking large - imagine melees forming triangulars in corners, so that oval in the end looks like a rectangle. You could have a standard shank (not a split one) that would sit between those "filled corners" and reach all the way to the sapphire. That might be nice.

LS, your ring is beautiful, but I''m under the impression Yingh has something a bit more cost effective in mind. Although I must say that the idea of using slightly larger melees and angling them at 45 sure makes sense.

Yingh, correct me if I''m wrong on the "red statement"
1.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Ma re, do you have a picture or something that can visually illustrate your idea? Between the two deisgnes, I like the split shank better, but again that will make the ring huge and way too flashy for me. I am no Liz Taylor material since I only have one husband.
emsmile.gif

LS, your ring is so pretty that I actually drooled over it for a while.
5.gif
And thanks for explaining the process, I will go home and tape the stone on my figure tonight to get a feel.

Can any of you suggest something you have seen that might work for my sapphire? I am not necessarily limited to any particular design, and ''only'' want:

1. something with diamonds;
2. not the plain three stone or ering looking;
3. allow enough lights to go under the stone so it won''t appear too dark.

Here is a twisted shank design and a design #6 that I digged up from email archive. What do you think?

Thanks to everyone!

Date: 2/9/2009 2:42:46 PM

Date: 2/9/2009 11:19:35 AM

Well, that sure is interesting. Can''t say it''s my cup of tea, but if you like it, why not. I came up with something similar to this, but with melee set ''in the corners of oval'' (if reading that makes any sense), cause that''s where you have the most room to spare without the whole thing looking large - imagine melees forming triangulars in corners, so that oval in the end looks like a rectangle. You could have a standard shank (not a split one) that would sit between those ''filled corners'' and reach all the way to the sapphire. That might be nice.

LS, your ring is beautiful, but I''m under the impression Yingh has something a bit more cost effective in mind. Although I must say that the idea of using slightly larger melees and angling them at 45 sure makes sense.

Yingh, correct me if I''m wrong on the ''red statement''
1.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
here are a few that are a bit different....technically, they ARE 3-stone rings, but totally droolworthy:

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=379

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=265

http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=5

LS

ETA: I'm just sending out ideas to you. It's not my place to decide what your budget is, so just look at the pictures and see if a certain shape/design calls out to you. At that point, you can get quotes to see how far towards the dream you can get!
9.gif
You have a very large beautiful sapphire. To "under-set" it would be a shame as well (ie: the LOGR settings don't do it justice, in my opinion). I'm sure there's something out there that can be perfect for you.

The Leon rings above are pretty straightforward design wise: not a ton of melee but each has 2 largish side stones....it's always worth looking into that kind of option: you might be surprised at what you can get. With more melee and side stones, pave, etc etc the cost of labour goes up. Whereas with a simpler design (albeit larger sidestones), you would save some on labour, and pay for the materials instead....

HAVE FUN!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, the only way for you to see the design I described is to develop psychic abilities and read my mind, as that''s the only place it exists in
9.gif

But anyway, I browsed through one of my favorite sites for you, just to see how high-end jewellers solve the "stone too big" problem. And here are some of their ideas which you might like and which might work for your sapphire (feel free to skip the texts on some of them):

#2 (probably my favorite desing of all these)

#4 (a good example of how a large stone with a halo looks like - shank is almost hidden behind)

#6 (variation of #3)

Hope this helps
2.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, this issue of finger coverage has been concerning me, so thankyou everyone for discussing it in this thread..
My current stone is already more than 50% of my finger real estate, so this is something I''ve been wondering how to approach with my setting..

Yingh, sorry I don''t have anymore ideas for setting, but I do agree that stone deserves slightly better than an LOGR - don''t get me wrong, nothing wrong with them at all when they are done correctly - but personally I would not use one for a very expensive stone (just imho)..
Wanted to say thanks for bringing up the dimensions issue though!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
What about this one? Help please!

Ring Design 5.jpg

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That one could really work, but so could "design #6" you posted earlier IMO.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 10:14:23 PM
What about this one? Help please!
I *really* like this one yingh! Those claw prongs are tdf!
What brand is it? P''mans are great to talk to, I would work with them anyday.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I think I will go with this style I found on Pearlman''s. It is style #12AA1, made by Durnell.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I would only upgrade the melee, if possible, cause these on the photo might be tiny for your sapphire.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/13/2009 8:50:48 PM
I think I will go with this style I found on Pearlman''s. It is style #12AA1, made by Durnell.
That is lovely!

Keep us posted. Do you know how long the ring will take?

LS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results