shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Ring Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesemerald2005/217spr-sm.html

My H has put this ring on hold for me. I need some professional opinions as Freke thought it may be a poor cut when I showed pictures over on the LIWs thread. What do you all think? I''m wishing there was a head on shot but there isn''t.

Also, have any of you used this vendor? Experiences?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Your best bet is to just ask them if it''s windowed or not. I''ve purchased some stones from them before and they''ve always been nice.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It does look dark in the pictures and I would be concerned too but maybe ask and see if you can get a hand shot.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
My thoughts is that it looks pretty dark too.

Otherwise, pretty ring!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be really dark or the shadow of the camera but I don't think it's the camera shadow because the ring is turned to one side. Look at the shadow under the ring; it's quite dark meaning a very strong light source is used to lighten the body colour of the sapphire. The sapphire is also showing a lot of gray.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Thank you every one and especially Chrono for the detailed info. We are thinking of getting it to look at, but H feels like it will ruin the surprise. But if he gets it, and then waits to propose, we can''t return it. Ugh! What to do, what to do!
40.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And this is why colored stone erings are a PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously. I gave FI two stones to choose from. He ended up choosing the right one in the end, but seeing the other one now makes me cringe, and I''m glad I gave him the choice because I wanted him to pick it out (I saw only the pics on the internet) so I could have some surprise in it. But if he had picked the other, darker stone, I would have been disappointed.

I''m going to guess it''s quite dark. Being that the ring is under $1k, with diamonds and the gold, I''m guessing the sapphire, at 2.12 cts, is probably not going to be top quality.

I''d listen to Chrono. I''m glad I followed her advice when I was looking for my stones. (And I agree completely that it''s under a really strong light source. Another thing that bothers me is the description of "evergreen in the evening", translated, I''d take that as "dark green".)

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
7.gif
Well humph! Why would they set such a dark stone in such a purdy setting. I''m bummed and frustrated. But I realize you are probably all right. And I don''t want to be disappointed and have to buy a new stone to place in the setting. Which I am assuming would be difficult because its 8.34x6.22

Any thoughts on this one???? Same problem you think?
http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesjewelry2006/508spr-sm.html

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
That one looks kind of dark too. Why don''t you email Jill Underhill and ask how much that setting is to make and then find a pretty sapphire to put into it? Something like this one or this one.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty ring. I would worry it might appear dark at times though. I like the teal color.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased my sapphire from simply sapphires...but have not purchased jewelry. The listing states that it is coming from Jill Underhill so I would email her company. I absolutely love my sapphire, however, my gut instinct tells me that the stone is set into a setting with Si3, I1 clarity diamonds. If the stone was a real knock-out as they claim it to be, they would have set it with nicer/VS diamonds IMHO. Also, the word "evergreen"............is like the color of pine needles, which for me personally, is not a very desirable green as it would have gray undertones. Honestly, if you are wanting a colored stone e-ring, I would definately pick the stone yourself, or do what Freke did. If you pick the stone yourself, maybe you can have your fiance choose from a few settings that you show him.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Thanks gals, I think I will contact her, see if I can''t purchase the rock from SimplySapphires and have Jill Underhill set it for me before it gets shipped. Since the two companies seem to work together. I''m frustrated now!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/9/2009 7:43:19 AM
Author: ilovesparkles
7.gif
Well humph! Why would they set such a dark stone in such a purdy setting. I''m bummed and frustrated. But I realize you are probably all right. And I don''t want to be disappointed and have to buy a new stone to place in the setting. Which I am assuming would be difficult because its 8.34x6.22

8 x 6 mm oval should be a standard calibrated size and not too difficult to find. However, it''s not worth buying the whole thing then changing out the stone. You''ll just lose too much that way AND get stuck with an ugly stone.

Hard to tell on the new ring because of the angle. In fact, I can''t tell anythint at all. It needs to be a face view of the table.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/9/2009 11:09:56 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 4/9/2009 7:43:19 AM

Author: ilovesparkles

7.gif

8 x 6 mm oval should be a standard calibrated size and not too difficult to find. However, it''s not worth buying the whole thing then changing out the stone. You''ll just lose too much that way AND get stuck with an ugly stone.

Hard to tell on the new ring because of the angle. In fact, I can''t tell anythint at all. It needs to be a face view of the table.

Oh I agree with you Chrono, the reason I even suggested changing the stone is because if he purchases it and I don''t see it within ten days, the return policy is void. We live 384 miles apart, and see each other only once a month
7.gif
Which makes a lot of things like picking a ring, even more difficult. Grrrr!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results