shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Ring Design Project - anyone wanna play??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone.

While I wait for Jeff White to find me THE sapphire, I continue to rearrange my new ring in my head.

So I thought I'd throw out a project to all of you to see what kind of ideas come back out.

Problem is, I would like to stay somewhat similar to my original ring, which looks like the pic below. DH wants it remade exactly, but I would like to go to a newer style while somehow still honouring the tradition of my original.

The new stone will be 7mm x 9mm or a bit bigger. 2.5-3.0 carats

Here are the things that I would like incorporated into the new ring, but I am very open to your creativity. I have a hard time navigating around Leon's site, but would welcome suggestions from you for perhaps a Leon for this ring....or whatever you come up with!

The following elements are what I believe need to be taken into consideration. (but not etched in stone, except for the 'no pave' on the shank, that is not negotiable).

1. 7mm x 9mm oval sapphire
2. substantial diamonds
3. NOT a 3-stone ring (got one of those already!)
4. No pave on the shank please

I'm going to leave it at that, and post a few pics below. The 1st one is similar to the original "LOST" sapphire, but my stone was much darker.

The 2nd set of pics are the 2 M. Khordipour rings that I really like..but are they a tad dated? Could Leon work his genius and come up with something with a modern twist?

I'd like you to be as free as you want regarding suggestions: perhaps this exercise will serve to convince me that my plan to do the Khordipour ring is the right one...but then again, maybe not?!

It's a not and humid day so hopefull some of you will want to play. Post away with your links and pics!

Thank you!

So this pic is very similar to my original. I had a yellow gold shank with white gold head. And a darker stone (I was a pre-PS bride!)

foo3.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
So here was the next stage of my thinking: a combination of the 2 below. I've settled on maybe not the baguettes, but I do like the much simpler gallery of the one on the left

Can we go simpler/more modern yet? How do we take this into the 21st century while still honouring the traditional elements?

foo4.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
What about pave around the sapphire? Is that ok? When I think about what is more modern, I think of a more streamlined look. When I looked at sapphires at Cartier, the ones with a halo, just had a real thin row of diamonds that enhanced the sapphire, but allowed the sapphire to be the star. This ratini ring is kind of captures the look I am talking about. If you want something a little with a little more drama, than what about a 2 sided halo with pave, and than a plain shank. This leon really has a nice Wow factor. This one has even a bigger wow factor.

ETA: I was looking at your ideas and it looks like you like the shared prong set. This Leon seems to have a shared prong element, but is more streamlined, I think that would give it a more classic look. As said before, I am sure you could leave the shank plain.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 1:42:27 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
What about pave around the sapphire? Is that ok? When I think about what is more modern, I think of a more streamlined look. When I looked at sapphires at Cartier, the ones with a halo, just had a real thin row of diamonds that enhanced the sapphire, but allowed the sapphire to be the star. This ratini ring is kind of captures the look I am talking about. If you want something a little with a little more drama, than what about a 2 sided halo with pave, and than a plain shank. This leon really has a nice Wow factor. This one has even a bigger wow factor.

ETA: I was looking at your ideas and it looks like you like the shared prong set. This Leon seems to have a shared prong element, but is more streamlined, I think that would give it a more classic look. As said before, I am sure you could leave the shank plain.
Thank you LF

I like that one the best.

Problem is, I am going with an oval. I have been agnozing over a cushion but DH has expressed a preference for an oval with no pave on the shank (ie: he likes the original!). But I think I can push this a bit into the more modern with a few design elements, as long as I stay true to a few of the originals.

I like the shared prongs. My original had prongs on the outside of the diamonds and they were always catching on things, plus it makes the ring look a bit too much like a "flower" to me.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I think that going down in the size of the halo stones will reduce the ''flower'' effect. I''d love to see a halo like that last Leon on an oval.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Actually, the more I look at it the more I like the setting in your avatar, it''s just that the proportions are off. I''d make the bags taller/skinnier, maybe add a third bag/trap to transition into the band and use smaller melee in the rest of the halo. I''ve changed/added the bags but you''ll have to use your imagination (or photoshop
20.gif
) to change the halo size.

foo5.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
OOOOOHHHHHH
6.gif

Now THAT''S interesting!

Thanks for the idea. There has always been somethng about this setting that wasn''t quite right for me.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I think that you could still do that style with an oval. But I am no expert by any means. I was more looking for the type of halo and porportions to the stone, I knew you wanted an oval, but there aren''t that many Leon examples with an oval. I agree with the above, the fact that there are gaps inbetween the diamonds is probably what is dating the ring. I think a seemless line of diamonds (regardless if they are sharred prongs or pave) will give the ring a more classic look.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 10:23:23 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
I think that you could still do that style with an oval. But I am no expert by any means. I was more looking for the type of halo and porportions to the stone, I knew you wanted an oval, but there aren''t that many Leon examples with an oval. I agree with the above, the fact that there are gaps inbetween the diamonds is probably what is dating the ring. I think a seemless line of diamonds (regardless if they are sharred prongs or pave) will give the ring a more classic look.
I agree. And I find very few ovals so that makes it a bit difficult to see anything different that the basic "big blue with halo" look.

It''s good I have time.....waiting...............waiting...........
1.gif
1.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Do any of you think that if I went for a cushion instead, it would give me more options? More modern?

(I have to watch myself to not stray too far from what sweet DH would like to see, howver!).

Jeff White has an amazing round but I can''t make it work in my head without seeing a "bullseye" first..any thoughts?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
WHOAAAA

Total yumminess! Thank you for finding those!

That ruby is to DIE FOR. Do you really think it is an oval? It seems rather round but it's a bit hard to tell from the pic...the reason I'm asking is that Jeff White has an amazing round which I could consider as an option.

That setting seems good due to the pear sides: it seems to take away the "bullseye" effect I so often feel with rounds....

ETA: I just noticed, that Leon labels it as a "cushion" ruby. It still looks very round to me............hmmmmmmmmmmm

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
I personally would say the ruby is an oval but definitely a very fat oval which I guess could make it look a little rounder then a traditional oval, could possibly be the angle as well.

That one was my favourite out of all the ones I posted, there is just something so yummy about it.

ETA: after all that it is actually listed as cushion, never would have guessed that

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore the Leon halo with the small diamonds and milgrain!! Gorgeous! As I told you, I have the old Princess Di ring and I would not reproduce that unless you just want to reproduce your original ring. I really do think the more delicate halo accentuates the sapphire. And I think a fat oval is fine with a halo of any kind.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2008 9:24:36 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I adore the Leon halo with the small diamonds and milgrain!! Gorgeous! As I told you, I have the old Princess Di ring and I would not reproduce that unless you just want to reproduce your original ring. I really do think the more delicate halo accentuates the sapphire. And I think a fat oval is fine with a halo of any kind.
I agree, DS!

DH would *appreciate* if I kept somewhat close to the original.

However,
9.gif
9.gif
, I think that if I came up with something blue in the middle with bling around the outside, he''d think it was *almost the same* nyuk nyuk....
2.gif

So my conundrum is to try and respect the original while recognizing that this is, after all, 2008!

That fat cushion ruby with pear sides on the Leon site is calling my name......I''m concerned though that the pears would push the price up through the roof.

decisions decisions!

I think I''m going to e-mail Jeff White and tell him to look for a very FAT oval or a cushion.

This is SO exciting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results