shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire input

dh75

Rough_Rock
First time poster, but I have been lurking for a few weeks. I have been shopping for an engagement ring for some time, looking at a combination of diamonds and sapphires because they are our respective birthstones. I eventually decided on a sapphire center stone because I can (literally) get more stone for my money than a diamond. I am currently considering the attached sapphire. Seller says the stone is blue in real life, but photo may show blue or deep purple/violet depending on the screen. I have seen both, violet on my phone and blue on my laptop. I have asked about the whitish parts on the ends and am waiting for a reply. They look like reflected light to me, but I want to be sure they aren't due to flaws in the stone. Is there anything else in the photo that is cause for concern? The color differences in the rest of the photo are less noticeable in the thumbnail e-mail attachment I received, which I suspect is closer to what it will look like in real life than the enlarged photo.

The sapphire is 2.31 carat, but I don't have any more specifics. I have asked to see the gemologist write-up to get dimensions, color, clarity, etc. I will have the sapphire sent to AGL to verify treatments if I proceed with purchase.

_36476.jpg

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It looks like it might have a small window (if this doesnt make sense then the best idea is to read the new to coloured gemstones thread pinned at the top of the forum.). I would be concermed that the light patches are due to glare because it has been flooded with strong light (in this case it could be extremely dark).

If you want a direct comparison then I would ask for more photos of the 2.29 ct here

http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

That way you'll have something concrete to rate it relative to.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
That window looks pretty sizable to me, you may be able to see right through that sapphire. I agree it could also be dark, I'd want to see it on the back of a hand and in different lights. But honestly, I probably couldn't get past the window myself.

dh75

Rough_Rock

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry I didn't want to discourage you, but in all honesty I think the window looks too large to close up. Besides i think stones often look at their best in vendor photos; so the window is quite likely to be even more noticable in real life (although apparently darker stones hide windows better, so you never know). Maybe check out loupetroop; there are some beautiful items there:

http://www.loupetroop.com/listings/...mstone/agl-heat-only-1-dot-06ct-blue-sapphire

Good luck :wavey:

dh75

Rough_Rock
Dimensions are 8.93x6.54x4.1, on the shallow end of the acceptable depth range, if I understand correctly.

dh75|1455950682|3993204 said:
First time poster, but I have been lurking for a few weeks. I have been shopping for an engagement ring for some time, looking at a combination of diamonds and sapphires because they are our respective birthstones. I eventually decided on a sapphire center stone because I can (literally) get more stone for my money than a diamond. I am currently considering the attached sapphire. Seller says the stone is blue in real life, but photo may show blue or deep purple/violet depending on the screen. I have seen both, violet on my phone and blue on my laptop. I have asked about the whitish parts on the ends and am waiting for a reply. They look like reflected light to me, but I want to be sure they aren't due to flaws in the stone. Is there anything else in the photo that is cause for concern? The color differences in the rest of the photo are less noticeable in the thumbnail e-mail attachment I received, which I suspect is closer to what it will look like in real life than the enlarged photo.

The sapphire is 2.31 carat, but I don't have any more specifics. I have asked to see the gemologist write-up to get dimensions, color, clarity, etc. I will have the sapphire sent to AGL to verify treatments if I proceed with purchase.

dh75

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. For future reference, are we looking at the same thing? The more I figure out what to look for, the easier it will be to see issues in the future.

qubitasaurus|1455981939|3993267 said:
Sorry I didn't want to discourage you, but in all honesty I think the window looks too large to close up. Besides i think stones often look at their best in vendor photos; so the window is quite likely to be even more noticable in real life (although apparently darker stones hide windows better, so you never know). Maybe check out loupetroop; there are some beautiful items there:

http://www.loupetroop.com/listings/...mstone/agl-heat-only-1-dot-06ct-blue-sapphire

Good luck :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless the background is off white (lavenderish) irl, it appears the white balance is off, which will affect the actual color of the stone. I would ask for a photo or two on the vendor's hand. But even so, I agree that the stone is likely much darker in normal lighting conditions and it does have a noticeable window.

dh75

Rough_Rock
That probably explains the difference in appearance between devices. When looking at the photo on my phone, the background looks much more white. I have asked for a hand photo, btw.

minousbijoux|1455993371|3993353 said:
Unless the background is off white (lavenderish) irl, it appears the white balance is off, which will affect the actual color of the stone. I would ask for a photo or two on the vendor's hand. But even so, I agree that the stone is likely much darker in normal lighting conditions and it does have a noticeable window.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if you're looking for alternate suggestions but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw this one out there...

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Products-251-Ruby_and_Sapphire/8458-Natural_Blue_Sapphire_2_53_ct-Gem.php?FromPage=2

It sounds like you're on a budget but I'm not sure exactly which color you're looking or price range but...
this gem is blue, oval-ish, slightly bigger than "yours" (9.2 x 7.2 x 5.1) and is reasonable ($890). Dana & Rachelle are wonderful to work with, fwiw...

Whatever you end up with, I hope it makes you both very happy! :love: :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dh75|1455994938|3993365 said:
That probably explains the difference in appearance between devices. When looking at the photo on my phone, the background looks much more white. I have asked for a hand photo, btw.

minousbijoux|1455993371|3993353 said:

Now if it truly is dark as we suspect, in order to replicate the color you see, the hand will need to be flooded with light, in which case the hand will look pale. Either that, or you will get an accurate pic of a dark stone on a regular colored hand. :))

dh75

Rough_Rock
I linked to that one in an earlier post. I was considering that one but am leery about the pointed oval shape. More importantly, I don't think my girlfriend would like it. I was also considering some other sapphires listed there when the seller (who I intend to have make the setting) picked out the sapphire in the original post. If I don't go with that one, I would want a medium-dark blue, preferably oval, sapphire, minimum 1.5 carat, with a max budget of $1500.

alexah|1455996741|3993377 said:
Not sure if you're looking for alternate suggestions but I figured it wouldn't hurt to throw this one out there...

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Products-251-Ruby_and_Sapphire/8458-Natural_Blue_Sapphire_2_53_ct-Gem.php?FromPage=2

It sounds like you're on a budget but I'm not sure exactly which color you're looking or price range but...
this gem is blue, oval-ish, slightly bigger than "yours" (9.2 x 7.2 x 5.1) and is reasonable ($890). Dana & Rachelle are wonderful to work with, fwiw...

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
dh75|1456008438|3993453 said:
I linked to that one in an earlier post. I was considering that one but am leery about the pointed oval shape. More importantly, I don't think my girlfriend would like it. I was also considering some other sapphires listed there when the seller (who I intend to have make the setting) picked out the sapphire in the original post. If I don't go with that one, I would want a medium-dark blue, preferably oval, sapphire, minimum 1.5 carat, with a max budget of $1500.

alexah|1455996741|3993377 said:

Sorry I missed the original post - I stop by PS when I have the time... ;-)

Did anyone post this gemfix gem yet? http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-1044-oval-brilliant-cut-1-78-cts

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In answer to your question: by window I mean the dead spot in the center of the gem. I'm guessing from the text that we may not be looking at the same thing (If this is the case I really do recommend you read the new to coloured gemstone buying thread at the top of the coloured stone forum as it will ultimately make this process easier and faster for you.)

I am just going to put this one out there (I guess I like to decide by comparing options, but if the onslaught of possibilities isn't helping just let me know and I'll stop)

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Feb16BSapphirePage.htm

dh75

Rough_Rock
I was afraid of that, thank you for clarifying. I did read the new buyer thread, but the windowing in this stone is more subtle than others I have seen, and I haven't seen enough good sapphires to tell the difference. Maybe it will be easier to see in the hand shot when it arrives, or as you suggested earlier, the stone will be so dark that it will be hidden. Either way, it looks like I may be looking elsewhere. Ugh....

qubitasaurus|1456023949|3993520 said:
In answer to your question: by window I mean the dead spot in the center of the gem. I'm guessing from the text that we may not be looking at the same thing (If this is the case I really do recommend you read the new to coloured gemstone buying thread at the top of the coloured stone forum as it will ultimately make this process easier and faster for you.)

I am just going to put this one out there (I guess I like to decide by comparing options, but if the onslaught of possibilities isn't helping just let me know and I'll stop)

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Feb16BSapphirePage.htm

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey, I think the hand shot sounds like a great idea; who knows it might look better in the hand shot.

I should warn you, I think a lot of my advice is skewed from the perspective that a smaller, brighter stone is better than a larger one which is dark. Also I find the chase exciting (and might be assuming you do to). I guess I am trying to say my advice may not line up with your priorities. You should just decide what will makes you/her happiest and go with that.

dh75

Rough_Rock
Hand pic is quite a bit darker. Gf likes it, though.

approval_1.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thats a very dark stone. I wouldn't go for it personally, its too dark for me, but if your girlfriend likes it, check it out in your environment. colored stones can shift in color so you have to decide if it will work for you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a lot of extinction, but if she likes it, then just make sure you aren't overpaying for the quality.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thread is invaluable for newcomers to understand how often vendors use the very best photos and lighting conditions for their stones. As we can see, the stone can look like its first pic - if its flooded with light. But what the purchaser will see most often is how it looks on the hand, or even darker, as even that pic seems to be very well lighted.

OP: All that said, you're doing the right thing by following your own tastes and those of your GF. :))

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
If you do purchase please make sure you understand the vendor's return policy in the event it doesn't live up to your expectations in person.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results