shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire info needed urgently - prices, sellers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ww2005

Rough_Rock
Let me first thank all of the posters in the Pricescope forums. The knowledge I have gained from this site has been valuable -- in the literal and figurative sense of the word! I''m hoping that you good folks will be able to help me with a couple of questions.

I am in the market for a pair of round sapphires. My wedding is approaching (August 2005) and I would like to surpise my bride-to-be on our special day with a pair of stunning sapphire ear rings.

A jeweler here in Austin has a pair of round sapphires for $500 (no certificates, from Madagascar, heat treated, .99 total carat weight, clear under the loupe, medium blue with slight violet secondary hue, decent evenness in terms of color, little extinction).

Question 1: Is $500 a fair price for this pair? If not, what would be?

Question 2: What are the best resources on the web for pricing sapphires? Is there a site out there that will allow consumers to see wholesale prices?

Question 3: Who are the most reputable online dealers selling loose sapphires? (If you have had a personal experience or any affiliation with them, please describe.) Any comments on Simply Sappires and AJS Gems? (I was intrigued by their selection and prices.)

Question 4: How do Madagascar sapphires stack up to Ceylon and Burmese stones? What is the hierarchy in terms of country of origin?

Question 5: What are the most reputable labs for grading colored stones? Is it essential that I get a certificate?

Many thanks in advance for your insights! Wish me luck!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
AJS has a good reputation and a lot of happy customers.

Are they .99 for both or .99 each?

ww2005

Rough_Rock
.99 for both. The total carat weight for the two stones is .99. Sorry for the confusion!

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I like AJS. I know Arnold is coming to the New Jersey, USA on Friday. I am going to try and meet him to see a few stones but my not be able to. Ny father is failing and I''m constently in the hospital visiting.

Certs are expensive are not ussually done for smaller stones. A full cert AGL is more than the price of the pair of stones. For .99ctw earrings, heated good color and M1 clarity are "good enough". People aren''t going to notice any difference looking at them from a distance of a few feet. I have seen nice blue heated ceylon sapphires for about $250/ct. My recommendation is go for color whatever you think "Looks good" to you.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, ww2005:

I just checked www.ajsgems.com (I'm sure there are other sources, too) and it looks like you could probably get a pair for less...

But the thing is...there is a HUGE advantage in having already seen these gems in real life. It's how they look you you that really counts. Given your time constraints, I'd be very tempted to go with those.

Shopping for colored gems on line can be fun, but it's virtually impossible to judge the color/appearance of a stone from photographs. They need to be eyeballed. The hassle an expense of having items shipped, and possibly returned is something I wouldn't want to deal with two months before my wedding!

I've heard good things about Simply Sapphires, and have purchased stones from AJSgems, and was pleased.

I don't think a cert is called for at all, mainly since you're looking at heat treated stones. Also, it wouldn't be cost efficient.

Country of origin? Who cares??? As long as they're beautiful!
3.gif

JMO...

Good luck!
widget

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,
since you know, they are treated why would you need a 500$ cert for 500$ stones?

Pricing is allways hard to judge like this. Pictures?

Anyhow, it is does seem super super cheap. If you pay extra for a cert it sure is not a bargain per carat anymore...

Have a look at http://www.ruby-sapphire.com/r-s-bk-prices.htm for international wholesale prices.

Madasacar has good stones. Yet Ceylon has more and and Burma has a lot more pedigree. Origin is sometimes difficult however, because a good part of madascans go via Sri Lanka and land as "Ceylon" in Bangkok.

Edward Bristol
www.wildfishgems.com

ww2005

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all for their helpful responses!

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Top gem blue sapphire heated 1/2 carat stones will cost between 8-1200 per carat. For in depth grading information, suggest you read the free sapphire chapter (link below) on the website that sells my book.

Forget about the loupe when grading sapphire.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results