shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire in a fishtail mounting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to everyone who helped out with my previous question, regarding designs for a three stone sapphire ring. I ended up with a beautiful .97 ct vivid unheated 6mm round sapphire (IF/VVS1) from Natural Sapphire Company (see my avatar).

Regarding the setting, I''ve completely changed my mind and am interested in the attached ring from Cross Jewelers, (or something very similar), which comes in either a solitaire or three-stone style. I''ve spoken to one of their jewelers, and he at first recommended using a simpler 4 prong setting for the sapphire. His reason was that the fishtail prongs might look too prominent (they blend in more with a diamond), and overpower the stone. I told him the reason I like the ring so much is the distinctive vintage flavor of the setting. I''ve seen a few other sapphires in fishtail settings, mostly at Antique Jewelry Mall, but none I like as much as Cross''s.

To wrap this up, does anyone have thoughts on whether the setting would look disproportionate with a sapphire center, either as a solitaire or as a 3-stone with .25ct diamonds? And has anyone worked with Cross Jewelers, in Portland, ME?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Victory Ring from Cross

vicsol1.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
what are the dimensions of your beautiful sapphire?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
It''s 6 x 3.35.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Not sure about proportions, but here it set...

SilkieFifh.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I believe the ring in the picture is a 1ct diamond, which is what, 6.5mm?
Thanks for the photoshopping. The prongs do stand out, don't they?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Selkie, 0.5 mm would not make a big difference in the picture, especially if we consider unknown ring size (both on this pic and yours).
I like the look, it just different from what would it look like with the diamond, not square impression but more decorative.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your sapphire is just yummy. Nice photo shopping skills Irina. I like the ring but am not loving the prongs. I think they almost take away from your lovely stone. I do love the engraving on the band though. If the prongs could be modified it would be perfect, IMHO.
2.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2006 11:56:40 AM
Author: kaleigh
Your sapphire is just yummy. Nice photo shopping skills Irina. I like the ring but am not loving the prongs. I think they almost take away from your lovely stone. I do love the engraving on the band though. If the prongs could be modified it would be perfect, IMHO.
2.gif
LOL Kaleigh! And here I was just thinking to myself that I really like the prongs with that gorgeous sapphire. They really stand out and give it a "lacey", antique look, especially with the band.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I guess my thoughts are that I want the ring to be as much of a standout, while still being tasteful, as the stone itself. When I look at the stone in its box, it looks huge to me even though it''s not even as big as a 1ct diamond. Honkin'' rocks are definitely not my style.
4.gif
I think it''s nice enough to not be overpowered by the setting. AS with everything, I''m sure opinions will vary, so I''m curious to hear more. Thanks!

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
i think it is top notch. i really like it a lot.

especially the prongs.

JDgirl

Shiny_Rock
I think it would look stunning in that setting! I''m really liking the prongs...they''re unusual, yet tasteful...and the whole ring is gorgeous!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I really like this ring, with or without fishtail prongs.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Here is the three-stone version. Unfortunately, this is the only pic of it in the catalog, so it''s hard to get a good idea of how it really looks. I''m trying to decide whether to go with the solitaire or to use a pair of .25 ct heirloom diamonds from my grandmother as side stones. There''s another 3-stone Cross ring with the same prongs, shown in the top view, at
http://www.crossstylebook.com/oly.htm.
This gives a better idea of the total look. My only concern about the 3-stone is that less of the really nice engraving on the shank will show from the top. Gah. Can''t I get one of each?
31.gif

vic3.jpg

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
I really like that setting too!
Cross does some nice stuff.

Scintillating...

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
How about this one from Engagement Rings Direct in the Antique section?

sapphire fishtail at ERD.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2006 11:27:21 PM
Author: Selkie

My only concern about the 3-stone is that less of the really nice engraving on the shank will show from the top.
N''ah... you will see it all the time because fingers only sit still in ''Show me the ring'' picture. Mr. three-stone gets my vote this far
1.gif

My 2c

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Hey Selkie, keep us apprised on your progress, ''k?

Not only am I extremely fond of your *sob* sapphire, but I''m very interested in Cross jewelers right now as well.
I think your
39.gif
sapphire will look wonderful in either of those settings and I love the fishtail prongs.
So let us know how it goes!
1.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Hi Wren,
Boy, do I feel guilty!
5.gif
Actually I was just looking at NSC last night and they have posted a couple of nice new rounds in the 1 ct range, so you may get yours yet. What stage of the whole ring process are you in?

I was waiting for Cross to send me a polaroid of the three-stone setting, and I received it last night. They had just finished a ring with a different shank from the Victory, but the same prongs with 6.2mm sapphire center and 1/4 ct diamonds, just like I want. It''s really pretty, and I think we''re sold. I''m just waiting to hear on a couple of inquiries on a very similar ring made by Jabel.

So far, Stan Scribner at Cross has been very helpful, and I''ll keep you posted on further developments.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 10:52:53 AM
Hi Wren,

Boy, do I feel guilty!
5.gif
Actually I was just looking at NSC last night and they have posted a couple of nice new rounds in the 1 ct range, so you may get yours yet. What stage of the whole ring process are you in?
Yes, I have noticed that as well.
31.gif
I''m very glad that all is not lost if my bf chooses to go with a sapphire center.
9.gif

I''m at the research and gathering ideas phase. My bf wants to do his own research (based on my suggestions) and I''m not at all sure how much input I''ll have in the end. He''s only looked a little so far. The poor thing, he has to be finished writing his dissertation in 21 days, and his defense is in 55 days. (he was supposed to have another year) And he has a full time research job! So I don''t expect he''ll be buying any sapphires or diamonds until March. *sigh*.

So far, Stan Scribner at Cross has been very helpful, and I''ll keep you posted on further developments.
That''s very good to know! Please do keep us posted, the three stone victory sounds wonderful, Good Luck!

(p.s. Thank you for the email, it is very helpful info and I appreciate it!)
36.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 12:10:50 PM
Author: Wren
Date: 2/7/2006 10:52:53 AM

Hi Wren,

I''m at the research and gathering ideas phase. My bf wants to do his own research (based on my suggestions) and I''m not at all sure how much input I''ll have in the end. He''s only looked a little so far. The poor thing, he has to be finished writing his dissertation in 21 days, and his defense is in 55 days. (he was supposed to have another year) And he has a full time research job! So I don''t expect he''ll be buying any sapphires or diamonds until March. *sigh*.

(p.s. Thank you for the email, it is very helpful info and I appreciate it!)
36.gif

You''re welcome. Hey, my bf and I both work in biological research (lung physiology and marine ecology, respectively), so I feel you on the funding/time issues. Thank god neither of us is currently a grad student, but I''m surrounded by them at work. Good luck to him on the thesis and defense, and to you on the ring!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
So, Cross Jewelers it is! Well before I got engaged, when I didn''t even suspect it would happen, that Victory ring was the one that really stood out to me in a Cross Ad in Down East Magazine. I''ve been looking very hard for something I like as much, and just haven''t found anything. We had only gone to a few local B&M stores to check out styles, and everything seemed either too blinged out, or too generic looking. Even some of the bling is generic looking, if that makes sense. Today we checked out a few more, including (at bf''s suggestion) Robbins Brothers. I WARNED him, but he thought it might be good to see a such a wide selection. The most amusing part was the reaction I got when I told them I wanted (gasp!) a sapphire center rather than a diamond. We had told them we had a budget of around $3000, and I was rather sadly informed that we probably wouldn''t be able to afford a very nice 1ct sapphire in a three stone setting with that budget, but with $3000 for the stone itself, we might get somewhere. Of course we already have a very nice sapphire, for half that.
31.gif

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Your sapphire and that Cross Victory setting are a gorgeous combination ... I'm glad to know you've had a good experience so far with Cross Jewelers. I contacted them by phone recently about a w-band in their catalogue, and they seemed to be very knowledgeable AND helpful rather than pushy.

Please post hand-pics when your ring arrives, and enjoy every minute of it! It's going to be stunning!
36.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, BrownEyes! We haven''t actually placed the order yet, but hopefully will have the information we need to do so today. I don''t know if you''ve seen Cross''s print catalog, but they even have a little blurb in it about how they will never push you into buying anything, just give you all the information you need to make your own decisions, because when they are customers themselves they don''t enjoy being pressured.
Did you decide to go with the wedding band you were looking at?

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Well, the order has been placed and the stones are winging their way to Portland ME to be set in their new home. My FI is handling all the communication with them now, to keep a little element of surprise. The suspense might kill me, though! Updates to come.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
YAY!!
Can''t wait to see the final product!

I still think you have the prettiest sapphire! This is going to be gorgeous!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooooooooo, I can''t wait to see it! You know we must have pics as soon as you receive it!!!!! It''s going to be a gorgeous ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results