shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire help

phinlum

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am still in the process of building an engagement ring. It will be a three stone, with smaller diamonds, or perhaps white sapphires for the two outside stones. I am leaning towards a round center stone, blue sapphire and was hoping to have it around 7mm or a bit bigger. I don't really care about heat treating one way or another and was hoping to keep the cost of the center stone under $4000. I have spent the last month looking at stones online and reading posts here and have narrowed it down to a few choices and I was hoping to get your thoughts and help.

Here are the three I am thinking about.

http://gemrite.com/home/190-blue-sapphire-230-cts.html

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/p-55942-round-blue-sapphire-b6495/#AssetData4

http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-1205-round-portuguese-cut-2-07-cts

Thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The gemrite and gemfix ones seem to be a bit cool(slightly greyish) blue. Is that what you're going for?

The TSC one doesn't look well cut.

phinlum

Rough_Rock
Thats is what I was afraid of. I was hoping for a darker blue, but in one picture the stone looks light, then in the next it looks dark.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
phinlum|1452954770|3976757 said:
Thats is what I was afraid of. I was hoping for a darker blue, but in one picture the stone looks light, then in the next it looks dark.

So, you're looking for like the traditional classic blue sapphire?

phinlum

Rough_Rock
Yes

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ohhh, as usual Neil delivers excellent options! I think the gemfix stone is my favorite in terms of color, but from what I've heard sometimes their photos are more vibrant than the gems in person, whereas mastercut's photos are more true to life. All of the choices seem great!

phinlum

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much got the help, couple more questions. First, will they take counter offers on stones usually or is that rare? Also if I find the right stone, who is a good person to use for the setting itself?

Thanks!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
phinlum|1453066702|3977235 said:
Thank you so much got the help, couple more questions. First, will they take counter offers on stones usually or is that rare? Also if I find the right stone, who is a good person to use for the setting itself?

Thanks!

Gemfix will not take offers. Other smaller lapidaries like MasterCutGems has in the past.

What stone are you interested in? What's your total budget for the setting, and what where you hoping to get as a setting style ?

phinlum

Rough_Rock

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
phinlum|1453067909|3977244 said:
https://mastercutgems.com/Products-301-ANAGEE_Sri_Lanka_Gems/8204-Natural_Fine_Blue_Sapphire_2_37_carat-GemMedia.php?FromPage=1&ProductMediaID=32732

I think perhaps this one, although I was informed this weekend that oval might be her preference over round. As far as the setting classic three stone with 2 smaller round diamonds on either side, maybe 1/2 carat total platinum. Although I also saw a ring with 2 smaller white sapphires that looked very similar to the diamonds.

How much money are you allowing for the setting? I will warn you that a white sapphire has its place, but will not pass as a diamond. If you want the look of diamonds, I would still with diamonds.

phinlum

Rough_Rock
Upper limit of $6000 for everything. Sapphire,setting and side stones. Probably diamonds for the side stones I guess. Then I guess a little advise on round vs oval sapphires for the middle stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
phinlum|1453069994|3977257 said:
Upper limit of $6000 for everything. Sapphire,setting and side stones. Probably diamonds for the side stones I guess. Then I guess a little advise on round vs oval sapphires for the middle stone.

Well first is I would suggest get her what she wants. If its round, go round, if its oval, we can look for ovals. But, ignoring personal preference for a second, ovals are usually easier to find than rounds. They can have some cut issue though, like half/half extinction (this is when most of the time half of the oval is dark and half isn't)

phinlum

Rough_Rock
Oval it is. We were walking around the city and decided to get her finger accurately sized. We went into s jewelry store and they had s three stone with round sapphire and she liked the oval better.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
phinlum|1453072351|3977279 said:
Oval it is. We were walking around the city and decided to get her finger accurately sized. We went into s jewelry store and they had s three stone with round sapphire and she liked the oval better.

Cool! Ok, I'll look again. What side stones does she want? Baguettes?rounds? Ovals?

That might change the amount of money we need to allocate to the setting.

phinlum

Rough_Rock
Rounds. Total 1/2ct or so

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering about that one too. Now, my concern is it may be too dark. However, if you're willing to get it home and see, with the knowledge you may have to pay to ship it back, then I'd give it a go.

phinlum

Rough_Rock
Ok, I guess I am on my way with the stone. Now the next question is what do I do with it. Which jewlers would you all recommend to set the stone in a ring?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which setting styles do you love and what is the budget?

David Klass makes beautiful rings at reasonable pricing.

phinlum

Rough_Rock
I was looking for a traditional three stone with diamonds on the sides, maybe 1/2 ct total weight. I was hoping to stay under $6000 total and the sapphires seem to be approaching $4000, so closing in on $2000 or so, but I guess the Sapphires can get smaller if the setting costs more.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider using shapes other than rounds? Ovals? Maybe half moons?

phinlum

Rough_Rock
Yes I would.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
phinlum|1453425627|3979429 said:
Yes I would.

Oh cool. I'm trying to think what night be the least expensive.......

I'll look around :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results