shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire help for Antique Ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
I posted this over in the Jewelry thread, but was told to repost it here for those of you who love the colored stone projects!
Here is the link to the original thread about this ring. I really want to find a Sapphire for it and I am leaning towards the cushion look...
I would love some more input and help finding a stone. I''ll attach the pic once again, but the rest are in the other thread!

Thanks!!!

straightonshotmomsring2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like you need a round stone. The first step is to bring the ring to a jeweller to get as estimate what mm size gemstone will fit in it. You want to be 100% sure that the sapphire you are shopping for will fit into it.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2007 8:27:16 AM
Author: Chrono
Looks like you need a round stone. The first step is to bring the ring to a jeweller to get as estimate what mm size gemstone will fit in it. You want to be 100% sure that the sapphire you are shopping for will fit into it.
Ditto. I think a sapphire will look amazing in that setting. Good luck finding your stone.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
The ring is an antique or an estate piece? Originally what was in there? Do you know the size? Was it a diamond? Antique pieces often have very low-set diamonds, so this could be an issue for a sapphire re-set. If it's estate, they may have built in enough room for a higher set diamond, so you may have enough depth and prong length.

Careful, because sapphires and diamonds do not WEIGH the same, so equal carats does not equal size... Also, sapphires are cut deeper. You may need a smaller sapphire (in cts) and find one that will fit depth-wise, as it may have been set for a diamond. If you get a darker rough sapphire, but cut shallower, that might prove to be more useful. But the prongs for a round don't always work with other shapes, so talk to the setter doing the work, and first ask them if these would work for a cushion shape, or if they would have to just rebuild the prongs (which would be easier for you, more epxensive, but could possibly ruin the inegrity of the piece)...

Good luck! it sounds like a beautiful ring to come!!

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
After thinking about it, I think you should simply take the little stone your mom gave you and replace it back into its original setting. You can get another necklace but you cannot replace the original stone in that ring.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto what Surfgirl said.

Linda

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/29/2007 1:24:48 PM
Author: surfgirl
After thinking about it, I think you should simply take the little stone your mom gave you and replace it back into its original setting. You can get another necklace but you cannot replace the original stone in that ring.

Nice thought, but I think her plan was to put a sapphire in the ring, which belongs to her mother, as a gift...

ETA: She and her mother seem to have already talked about and agreed on this plan. I'm taking the liberty of reposting her link, since the one in her above post doesn't work.

Antique ring redo

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the input and ideas... Interestingly, the original stone that was in that ring was a square Ruby... My great Aunt changed it out to a diamond. So even if I was willing to give up the necklace, and put the diamond back in the ring, it wouldn''t be restoring it to its original state. My Mom really wants the ring to be wearable (finished setting) she''s just never been a colored stone person... She''s kinda a diamond lady! (Like mother like daughter...
31.gif
) She does think that Blue Sapphires are her first pick... I was trying to open her to the idea of different shapes... She loves all the help from this site and she has seen the photoshopped pics... She''s sitting on the idea for a min before we jump and do something. In the end I just want her to like it so that she will wear it, or she could give it to me...lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results