shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Grades

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ChicagoDan

Rough_Rock
Hi there!!

I am having an engagement ring made for my sweetie that will have channel set sapphires and an Ascher diamond. Information... and disinformation from marketing firms is readily available on the web regarding the selection of diamonds, but I am having a hard time finding information on gemstone grades.

What should I know when buying sapphires for the ring? Are there grades like with a diamond?

Thanks!!

Dan

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/27/2006 11:53:33 PM
Author:ChicagoDan
Hi there!!

I am having an engagement ring made for my sweetie that will have channel set sapphires and an Ascher diamond. Information... and disinformation from marketing firms is readily available on the web regarding the selection of diamonds, but I am having a hard time finding information on gemstone grades.

What should I know when buying sapphires for the ring? Are there grades like with a diamond?

Thanks!!

Dan
Without making things to complicated Dan:

Diamonds have a grading system for color, cut, clarity etc..The parameters which define the grading in the diamond industry have been standardized by the well known labs (GIA,AGS,EGL..etc)

There are many more variables and much more market interpretation of what defines quality in colored gemstones which have not been agreed upon. There are labs which can determine Origin/Region and Enhancements (example:Heat).
A simple example is there is a set price on on let's say a certain "Make" of diamond in a certain size, clarity, and color. There is no mark up dependent on where the diamond has been sourced..

Let's say you have a 2 Blue saphhires all of the same color/quality/size etc..The same quality sapphire from Madagascar might carry a lower market premium than the same sapphire from Burma.

The best way to determine quality is to interpret what is beautiful to your eye and get quality information from a vendor or broker you can trust which will steer you in the right direction based on your purchasing priorities.

Hope this Helps a Little...This topic has been debated much in the past. If you do a search I am sure you will find other threads dealing with some of the same questions your inquiring about here...
19.gif

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results