shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Experts Sought

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sofi

Rough_Rock
00619-23032009">After admiring the extraordinary rings and colored stones on this forum, I decided to contact one of the jewelers about resetting my old ruby ring. For sentimental reasons I had planned to incorporate all of the stones into a single new ring, but I could not find a design that appealed to me. I found a wonderful solution to this problem: I ordered two rings, a solitaire for the ruby and an eternity band for the small diamonds. The band I chose had alternating diamonds and square bezel set sapphires, and I wanted these to be bright blue without any purple tones. The pictures I received of the unset sapphires were gorgeous, just the color I had envisioned. Photos of the finished ring also displayed that brilliant blue color. However, when I received the ring I was quite disappointed to find that the sapphires look very dark. The only way I can see their blue color is if I take the ring off and hold it up to the light.

I have read here that bezel settings tend to make stones look darker, and I am kicking myself for not taking that into consideration. I have seen other members'' rings that are similar in design to mine, photographed on their hands, and they are vivid blue. Is there a way one can predict how dark a given stone will look after it is set in a bezel? Also, is the cut of the stone a factor? Mine are princess shape, under 3mm each.

I love the ring, it is perfect in every way except the color of the sapphires. The jeweler has been wonderful, and has offered to find replacement stones for me. I want to be sure I get it right this time, I and I would appreciate any advice that you can offer.

Thank you all.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure there are ''experts'' here who would be happy to have a look. Do you have photographs of the ring that you can post?

LS

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you never actually saw the stones in person. It could well be that the picture was taken with bright light, thus lightening the tone of the sapphires.
Your description of the finished item showing bright blue affirms my suspicion that strong lighting was used.

The most accurate way to see the true colour if you are inexperienced in "reading" pictures is to request for pictures with the stone sitting in the crook between two fingers. For bezeled stones, go with something a shade lighter because it''ll darken just one shade when set. Another trick is to cup your hands around the stone to mimic the bezel effect.

It''s great that your jeweller is willing to work with you to make you happy with the final product.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
All gems change constantly due to changing lighting conditions, so it''s best if you see them before starting anything. Of course, you know that now - with gems it''s live and learn
2.gif

Princess cuts are some of the deapest which means that they darken color the most of almost any other. That''s why they''re often used with fancy colored diamonds as they usually exhibit pastel colors (compared to most colored stones) and a high degree of brilliancy which tends to further "wash out" any color. So princesses are great for pastel stones, but not for dark ones. Small size helps a bit in this department (small stones are always lighter), but they would still be different if done with another cut.

sofi

Rough_Rock
Lost Sapphire, Chrono, and Mr Ma Re, thank you for taking the time to reply. I will take all of your good advice hopefully do a better job this next time around.

Here is the picture of the ring as it looks now.

sofiband.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hello Sofi

Is the blue in the pic you posted true to real life? Or is this the vendor pic, and the stones are darker than this?
LS

sofi

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 9:12:45 AM
Author: LostSapphire
Hello Sofi

Is the blue in the pic you posted true to real life? Or is this the vendor pic, and the stones are darker than this?
LS

LS, this is the picture that the vendor sent to me. In real life the stones appear almost black.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results