shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire eternity band durability?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chicagolady

Rough_Rock
Hi --
I was wondering if this ring would be durable enough to wear constantly as a wedding band?
http://www.faycullen.com/eternity/300/bjb820t9s.html

My engagement ring is a 1.15 carat sapphire in a diamond halo setting in a 18K white gold setting (purchased after much helpful lurking on this site!), and I take it off before doing anything that seems remotely damaging. I was hoping to get a wedding band that I could leave on without worrying about damage.

Thanks for your advice!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Id almost say get a diamond eternity band instead. It's more durable, for sure.

ETA: Welcome! PICS PLEASE

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It should be fine they are well protected in the setting.
You would likely trash the setting before damaging a stone.

chicagolady

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback. I love diamond eternity bands, but what with paying for the wedding, we can''t swing that right now...

I''ve tried to take pictures of the engagement ring, and keep getting a white and blue blur!

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/16/2005 12:19:54 AM
Author: chicagolady
Thanks for the feedback. I love diamond eternity bands, but what with paying for the wedding, we can't swing that right now...

I've tried to take pictures of the engagement ring, and keep getting a white and blue blur!

Sapphire E-ring ????? Must..... have...... pics!!!!!

If you have a digital camera - have you used the macro setting under the setup? Did you have an appraisal done with pictures? More info !

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Girl!! YOU HAVE GOT to find some way to get us a look at the ring.. do you have a scanner?

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I, too, am going to add my voice to those begging for pictures of the e-ring.

To answer your question, that setting looks pretty protective to me. As with your e-ring, you may have to get the stone repolished every 5-10 years, as I understand it, to keep is looking fresh. And even if you did, in like 15 years, have to replace one the sapphires in the e-ring, that probably wouldn''t be a big deal.

My mother''s wedding band is half-eternity ring with rubies alternated with diamonds, kind of along these lines:
p.jpg
And I know she''s never had a problem. I don''t know about the sapphs that sit on the underside of your finger, though.

chicagolady

Rough_Rock
My digital camera is ancient, so no macro setting, but I tried a few more times and came up with one that was semi-clear. I''ll try to do more!

Since we''re in Chicago, we got an appraisal at the Jewelery Judge in Northbrook -- they''re great (although it appraised for just a little more than we paid, so we didn''t do so well at the negotiating...)

Here''s more specs -- they said it''s an oval shape modified mixed cut natural blue sapphire, clarity SI-1, Type 2, medium, moderately strong violetish blue color, GIA vB 5/4, cut is good. Indications of heat enhancement are present. 26 bead set round brilliant cut diamonds, approximate total weight of stones=.26ct, approx VS2 clarity. The shank is 1.15 mm in width.

Also, I took the plunge and ordered the Fay Cullen ring!

clring3.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
OOHHH THAT IS JUST YUUUMMMMMMYYYY!!!

I love love love it!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I think it will look wonderful with your ring!!

Oh I love it.. I am going to add it to the Colored Stone engagement ring thread.. Thank you so much of rsharing and welcome to Pscope!!!
35.gif

You will find many gemstone lovers here!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, ChicagoLady, that is gorgeous! I''m sure your stone is even better-looking in real life! Do would like to add to the colored stone e-ring thread?

I think the sapphire w-band will be good. Congrats! Be sure to post pictures of them together on your hand!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Can''t seem to post it.. bad computer.. But Chicago lady.. PLEASE post it an make sure to addd your specs!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your ring is lovely!! So glad you got the band from Fay Cullen. Can''t wait to see it.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, and where did you get it from? I''d love to hear the story.

chicagolady

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! I''ll definitely post pics when the band comes.

The story of the ring isn''t tremendously exciting -- it''s from a jewelry shop in Chicago called Steve Quick. I knew I wanted a sapphire engagement ring with a decent sized sapphire, a narrow band, and little diamonds around it. My ideal would have been something like a Leon Mege setting, but we were on a fairly small budget. We looked all over jewler''s row in Chicago, ebay, all the antique ring sites, but nothing was quite right. I learned a ton about what to look for from reading things at this forum.

Then a jewelry shop that didn''t have anything recommended we try Steve Quick. They showed me this ring, I tried it on, and it was exactly what I''d wanted. The pictures don''t do the sapphire justice -- it''s really sparkly (especially on the subway cars for some reason?!?)

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the ring pics, chicagolady--your sapphire ring is gorgeous!
30.gif
I think the Fay Cullen band will compliment it beautifully! I can''t wait to see a pic of them together!

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Just to let you know my wife has been wearing a diamond and ruby eternity band for 17 years and it still looks good. I have to clean it once a month but other than that no problems.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Chicagolady!

Your ring is just beautiful, and I really look forward to seeing it with the band!
3.gif

-- it''s really sparkly (especially on the subway cars for some reason?!?)
That''s interesting...I find my jewelry seems to look its best at QuikStop convenience stores
9.gif
(Do they have those in the East?)

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, can I tell you that I looked at the Fay Cullen band yesterday and thought it was so cool I was about to order one myself. And now that I see your ring...WOW!!
30.gif
I think the combo will be fantastic and I can''t wait for pics of them together. I would so love a sapphire ring like yours.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results