shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Engagement Ring Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scamit81

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone,

Ive been reading through your wonderful forum in order to get some insight into how to purchase a good stone. I was referred by someone at Redflagforums, and have learned a lot. I am a complete newbie, do not have any experience, all of my experience is by reading your forums and other sites on the net.

My girlfriend does not want a diamond ring, she is superstitious and believes it brings her bad luck. Thats a whole other story, so lets not focus on that. :) Well, she really loves pink sapphire, and would like to get a pink sapphire ring instead. So i have been looking around sites, such as http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/, but i would love to get a ring locally, here in Toronto, Canada. I want a pretty clear right, and i am looking for something around 2-3k and she likes an emerald cut. I have something to go by, she actually adored this ring and would love to get an exact replica. http://www.topazery.com/antique-jewelry-item-rg1665.htm I would like to get something better than VVS2, and the sidestones are diamond, so she would want something else, maybe Cubic zirconia or a white sapphire?!? As you can tell, i do not know much.

I would just like some help on what i can do, should i purchase the stone separate? I would love to get advice from anyone around the Toronto area who knows where I can go to find a good sapphire.

Thanks a lot everyone!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Higher than VVS2 in diamond? Whatever for?

It would be difficult to get a tapered baguette pair in white sapphire or any other stone...it would be a custom order.

scamit81

Rough_Rock
Im sorry, I dont know what I was talking about regarding VVS2. I thought that was regarding the sapphire, i dont want a diamond.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2007 11:41:00 PM
Author: scamit81
Im sorry, I dont know what I was talking about regarding VVS2. I thought that was regarding the sapphire, i dont want a diamond.
A VVS2 in a sapphire is great. Yes sapphires do get a grading in clarity as well. You said you want to buy in Canada, I can''t help you there. But please go to www.thenaturalsapphiecompany.com to get educated, they are a great company. Good luck, I hope you find a wonderful sapphire.
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Emerald cut will seriously reduce your choices - almost all sapphires are either ovals or cushions.

EC will also show up inclusions a lot more and will be much less sparkly. Sapphire is already much less sparkly than diamond.

Re side stones, you could go for white sapphire, or zircon.

I would recommend NSC - if you buy B&M, you will get such a low level of choice compared with online.

ETA is that 2-3 carat weight or $2-3 k budget

scamit81

Rough_Rock
I have noticed that you can rarely find a emerald cut sapphire. That is what she wants, so I have to look for an emerald cut even though it will become less reflective. I am going to check out some local dealers and see what I can find, but I need to get something within the next 3 weeks, so I am in a bit of a hurry. You think it will be tough finding something similar to what i posted?

Thanks

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
That isn''t a good timescale if you are looking for a decent stone. I thought my supplier was superquick when he found my tsavorite in 3 weeks - I was willing to look for 7 months or so.

If you want a custom setting too you need to leave at least 3 to 4 months to find the kind of thing that you are looking for. If you want an EC pink sapphire as well..., I wouldn''t bet on finding it in 3 weeks I''m afraid.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I definitely think NSC is your best bet, especially given your time constraints.

I think they''d be most likely to have an EC sapphire for you (if you don''t see one on their site, give them a call!), and they should have no trouble setting it for you in a simple classic mounting like the one you referenced...

widget

scamit81

Rough_Rock
I think the NSC will be my last resort. I am going to take this week to look around Toronto to see if I find anything locally, if not, I will give NSC a call. Any tips when i go out there to look for a Sapphire? Are NSC prices reasonable so i can use that as a reference when i do go out locally?

Thanks for all the replies.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
They have a fantastic selection - but nearly all their stones are unheated and untreated. This adds a $$ premium. Some people particularly want unheated, others don''t care.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NSC does carry a premium because their stones are untreated!

Anyway, if you want it in 3 weeks, CHOP CHOP!

I think the problem is not really the center sapphire, but the sapphire baguette sidestones you want

widget

Ideal_Rock
Sapphire baguette sidestones? I don''t think this is going to happen in three weeks, no matter where you go!

(I still think you should try NSC right away. They''ve got the inventory, and maybe cutters who can do you some bag sides, too. You aren''t expecting them to match the centerstone, are you?)

I think their prices are pretty competitive...for UNTREATED stones.

widget

laplacz

Rough_Rock
I know that NSC is a last resort, but I just saw this example up there.....

http://thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/expandedstones.aspx?stoneid=P2003

THis one is out of budget BUT it seams what you are looking for is available. I also read their faq and they have a day return policy and ship internationally. I think if you get hopping with a larger company such as this and get some help setting from a local B&M store you could get this done relativeley quickly.

--JOE

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I would e-mail some of the vendors here. Maybe they can also source the stone for you.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
P568_1_0314200633004PM

This beauty is $2502 at Natural Sapphire Company. It is unheated, untreated, and gorgeous!
Item P568 They even give you compatible setting options and state that creation time is 5-10 days. This would definitely allow you to meet your GF's desires, your timeframe and budget, and get a quality ring that will truly last the life of your marriage!

riogems

Shiny_Rock
A couple notes -- sapphires don''t really get a clarity grading other than by a seller. And there is no universally accepted clarity ratings (like there are for diamonds). When you say you want something VVS2 or better, I think you are looking for something that is more or less eye clean (something you will not be able to see imperfections in face up without magnification). VVS2 on NSC''s site does NOT correspond to VVS2 in diamond grading.

The pink stone from NSC is very nice looking in the picture. Their certificate and web page describe it as white in color. I''m not sure why that would be?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
That is very odd, rio! Wonder what the story is there?

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
it took me nearly 3 months to find the ruby i wanted for my ering.... it can be difficult to find quality gemstones. i found this one on cherrypicked, its a bit smaller than you had wanted, but stunning and a great color! I think online will be your best option. you may find some locally, but probably not the same quality....

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=1632

let us know what you find!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
in case I am not chiming in too late here,

try "Josephine''s Jewelry" in the jewelry exchange across from the Eaton Center. The owners are Josephine and Aziz, they are great to work with. I bought my upgraded diamond from them last year and have been back for other smaller things, bu most importantly, they are honest business people!
Give it a shot,
and oh, I think a sapphire will make a beautiful ering!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results