shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire Engagement Ring considerations

ragiff

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

Longtime lurker here. I've gained a huge wealth of knowledge by the people and readings throughout the site, keep it up!

Anyhow, here's my question:

GF is not into having a diamond engagement ring, non-traditional type of girl. The only type of diamond rings that have gained any interest to her are "eternity bands" that's about it.

For example, we were in Tiffany's the other day and this ring (TIFFANY VICTORIA® Alternating Ring) blew her away; http://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/rings/tiffany-victoria-alternating-ring-GRP03666?fromGrid=1&search_params=p+1-n+10000-c+473573-s+5-r+-t+-ni+1-x+-lr+-hr+-ri+-mi+-pp+1495+5&search=0&origin=browse&searchkeyword=&trackpdp=bg&fromcid=473573

That being said; she really loves sapphires and aquamarines.

For example, she tried on this ring (TIFFANY SOLESTE RING WITH BLUE SAPPHIRE) http://www.tiffany.com/jewelry/ring...y soleste sapphire&trackpdp=search&fromcid=-1

and also she enjoyed this ring (TIFFANY LEGACY RING, AQUA, DIAMONDS, PLATINUM) https://www.pinterest.com/pin/393713192396078851/

Thoughts: Shes not into "brand name stuff" by any means and I would probably never buy a ring directly from Tiffany's, but looking for custom style ring and not something from the local mall jewelry store (not that I think its a bad thing).

1. I am hesitant to go aquamarine because it is not as sturdy. But to be honest, I'm not sure she intends to wear it everyday but just in case will be looking to go sapphire (light to medium blues, maybe with some hint green).

2. I would like to use halo setting (since she has shown tons of interest in that look).

3. Setting: Possibly Victor Canera Halo Emilya Round or Cushion with center sapphire or ERD halo's (they also have some great ones close to Victor's. I live on the east coast (Boston) and ERD might be better option with it being in NY.

4. I have been in initial talks with a preferred vendor/cutter from the website listing here and have gained a lot of good information going forward. My main question would be do you think this setting would work well with a center sapphire? Round or Cushion preferred, possibly 7.5-8mm (2ct-3ct range) I have not really seen too many done on here.

Thank you in advance

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to CS with your first post.

I would presume your budget is at least USD$10K, given that you are considering a handforged Canera setting and a 3 carat sapphire. Since the setting is custom, it will be made to fit your stone, so whether you want to put a round or a cushion is personal preference.

Maytal halo with a cushion blue sapphire.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/maytal-hannah-sapphire-engagement-ring-experience.168600/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/maytal-hannah-sapphire-engagement-ring-experience.168600/[/URL]

r5667_0002wx.jpg

ragiff

Rough_Rock
Yes thank you for the response. My budget is about 10K!

Initially, I was going to go with a 1.5 round brilliant solitaire until I learned she was not really into the traditional style. I liked the size of the 1.5 round diamond and was hoping to go with a sapphire in equal size (if possible within budget). Forgive me, I have not done enough research to figure out the size differences from 1.5 round diamond to sapphire size in mm?

Have you worked with Canera or ERD? I have seen good reviews for both (here and on other social networking sites).

Thank you in advance

ragiff

Rough_Rock
thank you for the response niel, I did actually see that stone available online this week. I was curious why it was so cheap compared to what I've seen on other sites for similar size.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ragiff|1452705559|3975461 said:
thank you for the response niel, I did actually see that stone available online this week. I was curious why it was so cheap compared to what I've seen on other sites for similar size.

It's lighter, its second hand, and it hasn't got an agl or gia cert...

This individual has a good eye, and seems to resell things at prices set to sell... I'd maybe inquire about it if you like it. Don't like the price tag deter you

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 1.5 ct round diamond will measure around 7.5 mm
A 2 ct round sapphire will measure around 7 mm
A 2.5 ct round sapphire will bring you close to 7.5 mm

If you are fine with heat only, the sapphire will cost around $6K
http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-1185-round-portuguese-cut-2-32cts

Lighter blue at 8.5 mm for $5K (noticed that faint inclusions were mentioned)
http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-1157-round-roulette-cut-2-73cts

A cast ERD halo ring will be close to $3K, so all in all, doable for your $10K budget.

Handforged and unheated will not be realistic. I have worked with ERD but not VCanera.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1452705952|3975467 said:
A 1.5 ct round diamond will measure around 7.5 mm
A 2 ct round sapphire will measure around 7 mm
A 2.5 ct round sapphire will bring you close to 7.5 mm

If you are fine with heat only, the sapphire will cost around $6K
http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-1185-round-portuguese-cut-2-32cts

Lighter blue at 8.5 mm for $5K (noticed that faint inclusions were mentioned)
http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-1157-round-roulette-cut-2-73cts

A cast ERD halo ring will be close to $3K, so all in all, doable for your $10K budget.

Handforged and unheated will not be realistic. I have worked with ERD but not VCanera.

But if he's looking for light to medium, the stones will be less, no?

I would think it could be done with VC or Steven kirtch for that price, but then again I like the second hand stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1452706537|3975476 said:
I would think it could be done with VC or Steven kirtch for that price, but then again I like the second hand stone.

The second stone posted is a medium blue.

The LT sapphire is off-round / roval and the sale is final, which puts a damper on interest for some.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1452706843|3975478 said:

That's what I get for only clicking one link lol

ragiff

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the help guys.

Both stones by gemfix are good color, in range what i'm looking for. I have been in contact over the last few weeks with Jeff (whitegems) to see what he can do for me.

I would imagine once the stone is set in the setting, it darkens depending on the setting, any experience on how it may react in a halo setting? Do you think a halo setting has mere slight or greater difference versus more enclosed bottom?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A halo setting will be fine as long as you do not have a busy gallery. An enclosed design will darken it a little so you might want to consider a more open halo design.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1452706843|3975478 said:

The LT sapphire is off-round / roval and the sale is final, which puts a damper on interest for some.

Unfortunately, I could not agree with this more - I would not want to chance my savings on a final sale stone for an e-ring.

OP: please do have a chance to see multiple stones in person before you decide. Look up "Intergem" and you should be able to find a gem show near you if you are in the US.

ragiff

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help guys!

I have been lurking and reading for many months now, educating myself on the purchase of a sapphire is 10X more difficult than finding a diamond!

I have contacted Jeff White to see what he has and will keep you posted. I have received a quote from Canera for the Halo and it's little pricey if I want a large stone with good quality in 2+ ct range within my 10k budget. I'm looking at ERD and Yoni who seem to be more budget friendly.

thanks

ragiff

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

Stopping by to chime in. Took some time off on my engagement ring search for personal reasons but I'm back at it again. I recently had a chance to meet with Chris from BE in NY for a face to face meeting and I would totally recommend it. Very friendly and professional. Based off the meeting, I'm going with a halo ring from BE after seeing the quality of the work up and close.

He had shown me many different halo's and the "double sided/double row" with round center and round halo frame which caught my eye over traditional single row. The cushion frame with a round center stone is more what I'm leaning too (based of my gf liking) similar to this https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-goes-electric-and-blue.222147/ but without the slanted halo.

At this time, working on my sapphire search.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go take a look over at finewater gems. He has a load of blue sapphires

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could try Joe Escobar, they have some really pretty settings and could probably find a sapphire for you all in your budget;

https://www.escobardiamonds.com/

ragiff

Rough_Rock
a possible candidate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um0XQIaUqVw

Based on video, the color is wow. I was looking for slightly larger (7mm expected after recut) but maybe it doesn't matter bc color seems good?

Or, maybe it doesn't need a recut and I keep its size?

thoughts?

ragiff

Rough_Rock
Bump.

7.9mm as is or recut to about 7mm.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Give you any other pics besides that video? What did he say about it exactly?

Feels a little dark based on the video for my tastes

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ragiff|1464110612|4035816 said:
a possible candidate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um0XQIaUqVw

Based on video, the color is wow. I was looking for slightly larger (7mm expected after recut) but maybe it doesn't matter bc color seems good?

Or, maybe it doesn't need a recut and I keep its size?

thoughts?

Before you were looking for light to medium blue... Do you now want a dark blue? The stone in the video is a dark blue (even tending to black out in some areas as he rotates the stone), and likely even darker under interior lighting conditions (incandescent, fluorescent, etc.), and perhaps darker yet again depending on halo setting. Any chance you can request photos of the stone in other lighting conditions? Or, can you have it shipped loose to you so you can check it out in different environments and assess the color, size and cut?

ragiff

Rough_Rock
Notes:

The stone, as it currently is, is 7.95 mm approximately (varies from 7.92 to 7.98). The cut on this one isn't too bad as it is (no window).

Here is a short video that I shot of it on my cell phone outside. As you can see, it is a lovely, velvety blue, although it is a touch dark as it is currently cut. It will be a bit lighter than what you see here after I recut it.

I expect it to cut a 2 to 2.7 ct. round, with a mm size of approx 7 mm diameter. Yes, it has been heated (traditional heat only). No other treatments. Clarity is excellent. There are some very light veils, etc. as you typically find in fine blues, but nothing significant. I consider the clarity very good, and it will be eye-clean.

additional pic below.

I have changed my stance from light to medium to medium to darker blue. Not looking for black out stone. This stone will be center piece in halo setting. If re cut, this stone could be little lighter it seems.

Thank you.

round_and_oval_sapphires.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask for an indoor photo not under bright lights to see how much it darkens indoors? That is a Royal colour and I assume the video was taken out in sunlight when it is going to be the brightest it will appear unless you shine a penlight on it indoors that is the only other way to get it to appear a really vivid and bright colour. Jeff's cutting is amazing but for a mid blue my money would be on the stone on the far right hand side above or the one second in from the left rather than the darker one, unless you suddenly like a darker blue.

A recut might fix the darker areas in the stone from the initial cut, but it isn't going to change the overall depth of colour it has that much.

ragiff

Rough_Rock
I agree the far right is very lovely also - closest thing to a mid I see from color examples he gave me. I also contacted him for similar stones that he might have in mid. I have included her in the search for the right stone she will love and based on what shes seen, mid to little darker was the preferred color.

The oval color is very nice and within my budget (7k for stone max) but I am on a round or cushion hunt. She was not interested in oval unfortunately.

thank you for feedback guys

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1464144193|4036015 said:
Ive also always thought someone should give this stone a chance. With your budget whoever makes the setting could make a detailed gallery to hide the wonkiness. And really I wonder how noticeably it is from the top IRL

https://mastercutgems.com/Products-301-ANAGEE_Sri_Lanka_Gems/6953-Natural_Sri_Lanka_Blue_Sapphire_2_92_carat-GemMedia.php?FromPage=1&ProductMediaID=26495

I think you should strongly consider this one. It's a darker color, but not as dark as the one in the video. I think it's lovely, and feel as though you likely wouldn't be able to see the "wonky" bottom part after it was set anyway. Plus this fits within your budget :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results