shape
carat
color
clarity

sapphire durability?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
HI, I am not so familiar with sapphires so I had a question. I just received a sapphire ring that I bought second hand from someone and I am not sure if I should keep it.

It is an intense beautiful ceylon color and probably the most beautiful color I have seen in a sapphire, exactly what I wanted and yet I am not completely happy with it because when I louped it, I found two tiny chips on one of the table facets and two scratches on the table, one right on the center.

They are really really small and you can only see them if you turn the facets a certain way, but I don''t know if I should keep it.

So, my question is whether this is normal as I do have another smaller sapphire ring with the same tiny chips and scratches and also my pendant has the same tiny chips and scratches.

Is it to be expected with sapphires and I am just making a big deal out of nothing (ie:I am being overally anal) or should I just return it. I have a feeling that even if I bought a perfect sapphire, this would eventually happen, so I am wondering if I should just keep this ring then, since it is everything I wanted and was looking for.

I otherwise absolutely love this ring. It is set in the Ritani endless love setting and I got it for a phenomenal price. I have the weekend to decide what I want to do....

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would keep it.

You can always have the chips polished out.

Sapphire is a 9 on the moh and the second hardest after diamond. Lots of people have them as their e-ring, so you can definitely wear them everyday.

If it''s secondhand there is even more chance of chips etc - but you will probably find those on an old diamond as well.

If you saved loads of $$$ - spend some on getting it fixed and enjoy it.

Where are our photos by the way?????

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know how much sapphire scratches or chips, maybe one of the experts could chime in here. I know lots of people with sapphire stones and they look fine to the naked eye though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A sapphire will acquire small chips and scratches over time even though they are rather durable. In terms of coloured stones, they are one of the few hardest gemstones. If you can accept these flaws, then I''d keep it. Even if you bought a new sapphire, when worn over time, it will get multiple small chips and scratches.

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I personally have never seen any chips or scratches on any sapphires my family has worn for years. A scratch is almost impossible as basically only another corundum or a diamond can do that. A chip could happen to any stone, even diamond, due to a blow. I would never worry about a sapphire, they are extremely durable. Best regards, Lee

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I chipped my sapphire twice and ultimately ended up having to have it recut, but if the chips on the one you bought are small a bit of polishing might take care of them.

And I second Pandora's request for pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results