shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire costs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
A jeweler''''s looking for 3.5-4mm sapphire sidestones for me, in the color below. How much should I expect to spend? Thanks!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Okay, that didn''t show up... try again:

sapphire 3 stone ring.jpg

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Which color? Have you tried comparing prices at sites like:

AJS
ACS
Pala Gems

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Nevermind the color question--I must have missed your post. It''s cornflower blue you''re after, right?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no clue, but bet widget would know.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, i can''t find stones that small at Pala and ACS , and AJS didn''t have the color I want.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey fortekitty! i''ve missed you girl! are you working towards a ring like the one you posted?
mjo might know about sapphire costs and where to get them.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I just want a bright royal/electric blue!
1.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2005 1:48:13 PM
Author: belle
hey fortekitty! i''ve missed you girl! are you working towards a ring like the one you posted?
mjo might know about sapphire costs and where to get them.
Hi!!!
9.gif

I went around and around, then finally decided on that design for a loose stone I have. I was trying to stay away from 3 stone designs because i already have one with rubies, but i just keep going back to that picture!

My center stone is .76ct G Si2.
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i was at borders yesterday and the cashier was wearing a ring like that.
18.gif
it was amazing....the sapphires were such a yummy shade of blue... i couldn''t stop staring
6.gif
i hope you find what you are looking for!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Cornflower blue" is a comercial name that means something different in each shop.

For example... the huge bunch of cornflowers next to my laptop would say that the sapphires in the picture are too dark for their club
2.gif

The two sidestones there do not look great to me - if they are small those flaws and color zoning would not show as much as in the magnified picture, but they better be small. From the example it sounds like you would want the sidestones to look no-excuse-blue not inky and not faintly colored either. That just reads "good quality" and it can span quite a range of color shades and prices, as usual.

It may not be easy to find a well cut and well matched pair of (at most) half carat sapphires loose. The maker of your ring should find that allot easier, if you let them choose for you.

For an upper bound of the price/carat for such things you might want to check this site.

bar01

Brilliant_Rock

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Yep! that picture is from Tiffany''s. I don''t need the sapphires to be that exceptional, but i do want them pretty and bright.
1.gif

Thanks for all those links! I will be looking at them today!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: kaleigh
I have no clue, but bet widget would know.
Kaleigh! You rascal! But since you're a "sister^^^" (closest thing to triangles I could find)...you're forgiven!
2.gif

Fortekitty...I don't reallly know what price you should expect. For the heck of it, I checked out ajsgems and twin-diamonds, and it appears that you can find blue round sapphires b/t .25 and .50cts for under $100/ct. (on line, anyway.) I don't know, but I imagine you might have to pay considerably more for a beautiful, well matched pair.

I'll be curious to hear what he comes up with, and (if you're inclined to share
1.gif
) how much he asks for them..

widget

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Of course i would share.
2.gif

This is actually scaring me a bit, because I''m testing out a new jeweler. And they happen to be my friend''s parents. Is this a bad idea? Their work is beautiful, and reasonable priced, but i''m still weary. What if it doesn''t turn out well?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry widget, but you came to mind when the question was raised!!! FK, that is a tough call, cause if it didn''t turn out it would be a sticky situation. Are there other jewelers that you''ve worked with and had good outcomes??? I''m sure your friends parents would do a great job, just make sure you communicate your needs for this ring very clearly.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
39.gif
fortekitty''s favorite jeweler recently retired
39.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: ForteKitty
This is actually scaring me a bit, because I''m testing out a new jeweler. And they happen to be my friend''s parents. Is this a bad idea? Their work is beautiful, and reasonable priced, but i''m still weary. What if it doesn''t turn out well?
Fortekitty...everything you say about them sounds good! But one thing I don''t understand...aren''t you going to be able to see and decide on the sapphires before they''re mounted in the ring??

widget

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
my jeweler''s retired, so I''ve been looking for a new one. I tried someone new, but the experience wasn''t too pleasant. I think it should be okay... and it''s not that complicated.
2.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2005 2:34:48 PM
Author: widget

Author: ForteKitty
Fortekitty...everything you say about them sounds good! But one thing I don''t understand...aren''t you going to be able to see and decide on the sapphires before they''re mounted in the ring??

widget
Of course, i just wanted a ballpark figure on the sapphires, that''s all.
1.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2005 2:34:24 PM
Author: belle
39.gif
fortekitty''s favorite jeweler recently retired
39.gif
7.gif
unfortunately so. He made awesome jewelry too!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check THIS out !

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no that''s a shame!!
8.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
i found this on eBay... i love the one at 8 o''clock!!!

sapphires ebay.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
The one at 8:00 is lovely. What are they asking for it???

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
It seems too cheap...$90 for the whole lot. they''re 4mm. I bet the colors are doctored.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah they always say on here never to trust the pics. Probably best to look elsewhere.
2.gif

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
At the risk of being accused of self-promotion I might suggest you read the FREE chapter on the grading of blue sapphire at the link below.

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Hi

Small sapphire is very afordable, simply supply and demand!
A top quality 3.5mm round should retail for under $100.

Cheers Andrew Lane
www.aussiesapphire.com.au

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Andrew,

Are we talking "top quality" Australian here? Given that the weight will vary seems to me that your price is too low for a fine heated royal blue with no green or gray.

In my view, everything pictured is a bit light in tone to be considered top quality

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results