shape
carat
color
clarity

sapphire color/setting color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
I have a yellow gold sapphire ring that I love. The sapphire looks very vividly blue to me with no purple or green tones that I can see. I was thinking of resetting the sapphire into a white gold band.

My question is, does the color of the setting (yellow vs. white, or, for that matter, pink gold) make any difference to the sapphire color (or, rather, the way I perceive that color)? Do my eyes think that a blue gem set in yellow gold looks more saturated blue than the same gem set in white gold? I just don''t want to reset the stone and then be sad that my sapphire doesn''t look as good as it used to... and I know that colored background can affect reaction to color (I think I read in Richard Hughes that rubies are often sold on a yellow background for just this reason).

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a WG and YG sapphire ring. The color of the sapphire is royal blue and I honestly don''t see much of a color difference in them. I definitely don''t see a color shift in them. Photos of them are below. I would say they are very close in color and quality.

saph%20ring.JPG
wg%20saph%20ring.JPG

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the way WG works with the cool tones of a vivid blue sapphire, if that''s any help...of course it''s all personal preference...

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Monnie. I like the contrast of WG to the blue better than with yellow gold. But that''s just my opinion, too.
9.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I''d go for white gold too.. love the blue and white contrast..

sheena

Rough_Rock
I would choose White Gold with Blue Sapphire and White Diamonds.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the rest. Blue just goes well with the coolness of white metal but ultimately it''s your choice.
2.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree. White gold with the blue sapphire!!!

Linda

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember reading that ruby sellers would present their stones on copper plates, because the warm orangy gold colors of the copper would cancel out the purplish understones of the ruby, making them seem more desirable pure red. So it seems at least theoretically that the ring color could influence the stone color. For example if the stone has a gray undercast a yellow metal might make it look better?
My personal preference, I like deeper color sapphires in yellow gold, with lighter brighter (ceylon type) sapphires in white metal.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Linda, what colour for Pads?
2.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like WG too! Marcy, nice rings!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet,
I like pads in yellow metal since the pink/orange colour seems "warm".

Joolskie

Shiny_Rock
I think that it is all a matter of personal preference. Some like to have the coolness of the blue against the warmth of YG. Some like to match the cooler colors with the coolness of the white metals. It is all in how your eye sees it!

Personally, I am more attracted to the cooler tones. I like blue sapphires in white settings.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/26/2007 4:29:24 PM
Author: Chrono
Harriet,
I like pads in yellow metal since the pink/orange colour seems ''warm''.
Thanks, Chrono. I was just teasing Linda. I haven''t had the pleasure of a Pad.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree I like cool tone gems with WG and warm tone with YG.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I am just a sucker for blue sapphires because I can''t say I like one of my rings over the other.

Thanks, Skippy.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
part_gypsy, thanks for your thoughts! That was exactly the sort of thing I was wondering-- so maybe in a yellower setting the purple undertones are muted, and maybe greens are brought out?

Marcyc, ooh, your rings are very pretty! I love sapphires! I could see that it is possible that the YG brings out the bright-warmer (bright-blue-to-green) tones more and the WG brings out the deep cooler (blue-to-purple) shades more, but it''s hard to say.

Everyone else: I agree-- I like white metals with blue stones! That wasn''t exactly what I was curious about, but I appreciate the responses :)

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
If you are really concerned that you wont like the sapphire in a WG setting why don''t you just rhodium plate your current YG setting to see if you like your stone in WG. You can always get it polished off if you don''t like it. Just a less expensive way to test the waters.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results