shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire choice opinions please!

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
1350 for the 1,29 ct round is not ripped off. Like that stone!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like the round! It's brighter and doesn't have the extinction of the cushion.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some local Jewelers are notorious for shelling on stones that they didn't sell you. Yet what they could offer is usuall now as nice as a PS vetted stone. I always start with "I have this family stone ...". They usually understand sentimentality and won't slam your purchase.

Anyway, DK isn't anawesome choice and I too prefer the round (though the cushion faces larger) because it semenbright across a variety of lighting environments and doesn't blackout like the cushion. I love the color too. You dun good!

@LJsapphire2304 has a really pretty sapphire ring with a scalloped halo and a super pretty under gallery.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ringo865 you might need to edit some words up there ^^^:lol:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some local Jewelers are notorious for shelling on stones that they didn't sell you. Yet what they could offer is usually not as nice as a PS vetted stone. I always start with "I have this family stone ...". They usually understand sentimentality and won't slam your purchase.

Anyway, DK is an awesome choice and I too prefer the round (though the cushion faces larger) because it stays bright across a variety of lighting environments and doesn't blackout like the cushion. I love the color too. You dun good!

@LJsapphire2304 has a really pretty sapphire ring with a scalloped halo and a super pretty under gallery.

^^this is what I was trying to say. Thanks @whitewave :wavey:

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
1350 for the 1,29 ct round is not ripped off. Like that stone!
I found Roger’s prices for his stones to be more than fair compared to other vendors, such as GemFix. The cutting is impeccable, the color is amazing, and Roger has been simply the best. I’m so glad I sent him an email (even though I thought he’d be out of my budget because he doesn’t have prices listed). Now that I’ve come down from that day of panicking, I realize I found a real deal with either stone simply on the merits of their cutting and color.

jewelsforalltosee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@Jbows What I love about colored gems (vs diamonds) is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That means you, that means the cutter, that means your future fiance!
Sapphires are heavier than diamonds, so for example, my 4.12ct faces up like a 3 carat diamond. Additional weight could be in the bottom of the stone - since gems aren't graded so strictly as diamonds, the cutter can use his/her judgement to maximize the color and sparkle of that particular stone. So a sapphire is always going to face up smaller than a diamond (unless it was cut really shallow...I suppose that is possible too), and additionally so depending on how it was cut.
Don't let anyone rain on your parade. Get an appraisal if you're really worried about the price. But it doesn't sound like you had that issue until someone tried to tell you that you paid too much. Keep what you love and whatever you choose, bring it back here so we can see it too! :love:

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
I'm late to the party, but just wanted to say I love the round one too! I'm glad to hear that it sounds like you're keeping it :). After my long search for a sapphire, I made a spreadsheet to compare prices between online vendors, brick and mortar stores and direct from lapidaries. This is what I found based 13 stones:

B&M //// Online Vendor //// Lapidary
$2,597.09 //// $2,514.38 //// $1,440.01

At $1046.50/ct your stone is on the low end, even when buying direct from the cutter.

FYI - I ended up with a custom Jeff White sapphire. It was quite deep at 1.94ct and 6.6mm, but the color and cut are AMAZING.

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm late to the party, but just wanted to say I love the round one too! I'm glad to hear that it sounds like you're keeping it :). After my long search for a sapphire, I made a spreadsheet to compare prices between online vendors, brick and mortar stores and direct from lapidaries. This is what I found based 13 stones:

B&M //// Online Vendor //// Lapidary
$2,597.09 //// $2,514.38 //// $1,440.01

At $1046.50/ct your stone is on the low end, even when buying direct from the cutter.

FYI - I ended up with a custom Jeff White sapphire. It was quite deep at 1.94ct and 6.6mm, but the color and cut are AMAZING.
I’m 99.9% sure I’m keeping it! Just have to wait through the holidays and for when Roger gets stateside again. Yeah, the price is pretty incredible, especially for the color of it. It frequently looks electric and even in the dark looks like blue velvet. I’ve seen your Jeff White (salivated over it, more like) and never thought I could find something in the same color tone, or at least it looks similar to me! :D I really underestimated how slimy some jewelers can feel. I felt like the guy saw my Mom's ring and assumed we had lots of cash and tried to sell me something from his shop... I found a thread somewhere talking about all the nonsense that goes on in B&M stores and I think they smelled my anxiety :lol:

goldie_locks

Shiny_Rock
I’ve seen your Jeff White (salivated over it, more like) and never thought I could find something in the same color tone, or at least it looks similar to me! :D

I agree! I think the color and cut look very similar! Congrats on your find. I do hope you keep and love it :kiss2:.

darkblue

Rough_Rock
Wow, the round one is really, really pretty!

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
DFF54C00-8429-497F-B94E-4BB48A224DD8.jpeg 5D877477-766C-4BA0-9095-D92E5B5D5457.jpeg So I have a question about settings... I have been looking. And looking. And looking! And in this I somehow stumbled across this setting on whiteflash. I love it, and I was wondering if there is something I should be aware of in terms of known quality from the people that make the setting. I’d get it in platinum just because I love the patina it develops! It’s a Vatche 310 and would have 0.25 ct pear diamonds on the sides. What do you think???

sapphiredream

Shiny_Rock
Round!
If the pictures are accurate, 1350 seems like a great price. But, more importantly, do *you* love it?

Face up size isnt everything - you can find horribly cut stones that face up large but have huge windows.

The jeweler may also be trying to sell you one of their stones, by planting seeds of doubt about what you brought in.

I agree you should also keep this possibility in mind. I have had a similar experience - I could tell from how he maneuvered the conversation.

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I agree you should also keep this possibility in mind. I have had a similar experience - I could tell from how he maneuvered the conversation.
I’m 100% sure that’s what he was doing. And he can keep his cruddy sapphires! :lol:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that setting. Vatche is a quality maker. Whiteflash is a quality vendor. I can't wait to see this thing come together !!

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Love that setting. Vatche is a quality maker. Whiteflash is a quality vendor. I can't wait to see this thing come together !!
In true form, I have found another, very similar option from Brian Gavin which is hundreds of dollars cheaper. As long as he is quality, I think I’ll go with him. Thoughts are welcome! The options I loved are:
Three stone pear with shoulders (https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...pear-sidestones-with-shoulders-platinum-5367p)
Or the summer, which is similar but less chunky. (https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/the-summer-platinum-5371p)
I have size ~8.5 fingers, so I’m not sure yet. But I really like what I’ve seen of Brian Gavin’s work! Any input is welcome! :D

jewelsforalltosee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The Brian Gavin settings are beautiful! I love them both! I have only heard good things about BG. The Vatche setting is amazing too, and Whiteflash is very well known. I don't think you can go wrong either way :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In true form, I have found another, very similar option from Brian Gavin which is hundreds of dollars cheaper. As long as he is quality, I think I’ll go with him. Thoughts are welcome! The options I loved are:
Three stone pear with shoulders (https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...pear-sidestones-with-shoulders-platinum-5367p)
Or the summer, which is similar but less chunky. (https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/the-summer-platinum-5371p)
I have size ~8.5 fingers, so I’m not sure yet. But I really like what I’ve seen of Brian Gavin’s work! Any input is welcome! :D

The summer is one of my favorite settings and I have worked with BGD multiple times, their craftsmanship is excellent! Request claw like prongs. :) beautiful sapphire btw!

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The summer is one of my favorite settings and I have worked with BGD multiple times, their craftsmanship is excellent! Request claw like prongs. :) beautiful sapphire btw!
Ooooooh yes I didn’t know you could request prong changes. I also suggested a euro shank just because I HATE rings that roll. I don’t know how necessary it is though. I’m just compiling a list for the aforementioned bf and he’ll handle it from there, although I am so glad he wanted me to pick my own. I’m more particular than I realized!:lol:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooooh yes I didn’t know you could request prong changes. I also suggested a euro shank just because I HATE rings that roll. I don’t know how necessary it is though. I’m just compiling a list for the aforementioned bf and he’ll handle it from there, although I am so glad he wanted me to pick my own. I’m more particular than I realized!:lol:

They usually do the prong claw style but it is always good to clarify :) I however don’t particularly like euro shanks, I feel that they don’t prevent my rings from spinning, but the euro shank can get around the fingers and become uncomfortable. But if you have tried a ring with an euro shank and love it, then that’s totally understandable.
I am also happy that your bf let you pick your own stone! It is beautiful!

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
They usually do the prong claw style but it is always good to clarify :) I however don’t particularly like euro shanks, I feel that they don’t prevent my rings from spinning, but the euro shank can get around the fingers and become uncomfortable. But if you have tried a ring with an euro shank and love it, then that’s totally understandable.
I am also happy that your bf let you pick your own stone! It is beautiful!
I haven’t, and upon reflection, it’ll probably be fine without it. I’m always taking lab gloves on and off and was worried it would start spinning. Although it’ll probably be fine.

And thank you about the stone! My bf only wanted me to love it and didn’t feel comfortable just choosing a colored stone without knowing my preferences! I really appreciate learning from everyone here and it has definitely shaped my tastes!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
please check the prices on the rings. When I looked, the Vatch Whiteflash ring is less expensive ($2,095.00/2,032.15 wire)
than the Brian Gavin setting (2480). Also the tcw for Brian gavin ring is less than the Whiteflash option (40 points, versus 50 points).

Jbows

Shiny_Rock
Premium
please check the prices on the rings. When I looked, the Vatch Whiteflash ring is less expensive ($2,095.00/2,032.15 wire)
than the Brian Gavin setting (2480). Also the tcw for Brian gavin ring is less than the Whiteflash option (40 points, versus 50 points).
The Vatche prices vary based on Center stone size. I have the equivalent of a 0.75 ct diamond at 5.8 mm round, so I have to size up the base size (which is the price you listed). Idk, I don’t really like the graduated prices at 0.4 ct intervals... it kinda feels like it should be more similar in price. :roll

Oh and I decided I like the Summer better because it’s less chunky so I think we’ll go with that. That one is ~$2200 and less of a stretch then $2800 Vatche

Last edited:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The summer is a beauty. !! (Pics when you get it):saint:

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on finding THE stone and picking a setting for it. Please share photos of it once you get it. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results