shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire and OEC setting help please!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got my sapphire and love it! Thank you! But now would like to see what you think of the latest version of the setting it will go in. First pic is the old version but it looked squished to me so my jeweler elongated it a bit north south by adding the little fleurs top and bottom. He needs to make the center stone a 5.64 to match my sapphire. And I need to have the north south measurement to make sure it will fit between my knuckles. Other than that I think I cannot see the forest for the trees. I am too close to the project and do not want to miss something. The ring will be fully engraved and have milgrain all around.

Please give me any suggestions! Bad or good! Since this has gotten to be an expensive project I am going with unplated 18k white gold instead of platinum. The OECs surrounding are .25ct.

Next pic is my new sapphire with 4mm stones so I could see the sizes together.

Bottom pics are the actual antique inspiration ring that has diamond .65ct center and .45ct surrounding stones. The original has much larger oecs on the sides but that is out of my budget.

Thank you! :D

vintage_ring.png

351_2_.jpg

dscn1158.jpg

oec_maltese_ring2.jpg

oec_maltese_ring.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks beautiful! What are you having hesitation about?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The proportion of your CAD ring is different than the inspiration ring. If you plan to make them more similar, I would have him make the metal work smaller. In your CAD, there is more metal than stone. In the original, the metalwork is smaller (less pronounced) than the stones. Am I making sense?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1384346913|3555715 said:
The proportion of your CAD ring is different than the inspiration ring. If you plan to make them more similar, I would have him make the metal work smaller. In your CAD, there is more metal than stone. In the original, the metalwork is smaller (less pronounced) than the stones. Am I making sense?

Yes this is the case and I guess I want other sets of eyes to look at the proportions and tell me if they still work for my stones. I wish I could afford the larger OECs but the sapphire is smaller than originally planned so the OECs needed to be smaller. I am ok with more metal as vintage rings often had more metal than stone. I like how it looks but just asking for another opinion on proportions. This CAD thing is hard for me to translate to the finished product for some reason. A solitaire is so much easier. The inspiration ring is quite blingy and not something I would wear but I love the look!

Thanks Freke!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, your design still works but the look is completely different. Since we are still working with CADs which are relatively easy to tweak, ask the vendor to make the setting more proportionate to the stones, i.e. smaller metal work to fit with the size of your stones. If your stones are 80% smaller than the original, then the metal work (cut-outs) should also be 80% smaller. Is my explaination a bit clearer? This way, you get to compare the 2 proportions to see which one you prefer.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1384346913|3555715 said:

I think you said it really clearly - but maybe because I was thinking the same thing! Redwood, I think its very pretty, but it does have a different look, where the emphasis is less on the stones and more on the total design, given the role of the metalwork.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1384359957|3555785 said:
I am ok with more metal as vintage rings often had more metal than stone. I like how it looks but just asking for another opinion on proportions. This CAD thing is hard for me to translate to the finished product for some reason. A solitaire is so much easier. The inspiration ring is quite blingy and not something I would wear but I love the look!

A couple of questions for you. First, if the inspiration ring (really, really lovely btw) is not something you would wear due to the bling factor, then have you made sure that this ring will work for you - that is, that you won't think it too blingy as well? Size-wise, have you made sure that you would be comfortable wearing this ring? I agree that CAD's are hard to interpret, especially as they seem to make things appear chunkier than in real life. Can you compare the CAD to the inspiration ring - maybe even going so far as to add color to the inspiration ring to make them as similar as possible? That way, it might be easier to see the metal area vs. the stones. I notice that your ring design is different from the inspiration ring in the width of the arms (yours is slightly thinner) and swoopiness of the arms (more of a pronounced arch in yours). Fwiw, I like the chubbiness of arms on the inspiration ring with less slightly less arch.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the CAD artist really did a great job at replicating most of the details of the ring. I did some funky editing and put them side by side for you. I hope that the image is somewhat helpful.

_11913.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Freke you are awesome! Thank you!

Minou - I really am going to have to study these for a bit to see if I get a feeling for what I want. I like the red CAD also and it is more compact to show less metal and more stone for the sizes I am using. My only problem with it is the cutout leaves look really squished but maybe that is because of the bulky CAD?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Newest CAD that I really like and is closer to my inspiration ring. I am thinking we are pretty close to being done. Wax to see tomorrow on a finger! I like the shorter N/S design that removed the fleur from between the center and top/bottom stone. I also like the ribbon effect around the stones. The total length north south is 17.5mm which is good to fit between knuckles.

351_c_2_.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it much better. Any way to slightly round off the four edges/corners of the metalwork surrounding the two vertical diamonds? Just a thought...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the latest CAD the best. I've circled some points you may want to consider.

351_c_2_.jpg

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Minous and Chrono you are correct in the top and bottom corners may need to be a bit more rounded. I actually like the convex curve better than the original because to me it is a bit more feminine and less bulk. KWIM? I think as long as the airspace does not create a structure and durability problem then I am ok with that too but I will ask to make sure. I like that it is not exactly like the inspiration ring and has some of my elements in it also. Of course it will have my beautiful sapphire in the center but he doesn't have it yet. And it will have engraving and milgrain all over it!

Here are the wax pics with the diamond OECs he found. They are 4mm each. The hand model is a 4.75 and the ring is an 8.25 for my middle finger.

dsc00019-1.jpg

dsc00023-1.jpg

dsc00013-1.jpg

dsc00011-2.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is wonderful! Thanks for sharing the wax with us - I don't remember ever seeing one like that with the diamonds set in it. I love the fact that you like the convex and want the ring to be different than the inspiration ring. It looks like it will be a rocking ring, though I too worry about the airspace issue (good catch Chrono) as things may catch there and because it seems a bit incongruous with the solid-but-delicate style to have individual pieces coming off, if that makes any sense.

Either way, that will be a gorgeous ring. :))

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you are right that they are a bit too big. Almost space age or like Saturn's rings or something! :confused: This does not go with the rest of the ring. I have asked him to see about making it more of a hint of ribbon effect with no airline. We shall see what he comes up with. I love that he put the stones in there for me to see and when he gets the sapphire he will send pics of all the stones in the wax before moving on to making it. He is very good about making sure I am happy with it and a wax is no big deal to him.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redwood66|1384920343|3559689 said:
I think you are right that they are a bit too big. Almost space age or like Saturn's rings or something! :confused: This does not go with the rest of the ring. I have asked him to see about making it more of a hint of ribbon effect with no airline. We shall see what he comes up with. I love that he put the stones in there for me to see and when he gets the sapphire he will send pics of all the stones in the wax before moving on to making it. He is very good about making sure I am happy with it and a wax is no big deal to him.

He seems like a dream jeweler!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is David Klass. He is a dream to work with and I cannot say enough nice things about him. He really wants to please his customers. I know there are some on here who do not like him but I have had nothing but good things from him. I have several pieces that he has done and all have been custom and affordable. I guess that is why I have several! :wink2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is coming along beautifully; can't wait to see the next and hopefully final revision.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think we are done! :twirl: Wax with my new sapphire and the OECs in it. Too bad the wax is blue because you cannot see how pretty my sapphire is! The ribbon bits were made smaller but are still there and I think the size is just perfect for my middle finger. It will be in platinum and I am so excited to see it finished in time for Christmas!

dsc00012.jpg

dsc00007.jpg

dsc00014.jpg

dsc00010.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cant wait to see the final product.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know, it looks awesome! :praise: And as much as I don't care for big rings, I am sure you will rock that on your middle finger. I wish I could see the blue of the sapphire, but will just have to wait patiently... :nono:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Minous you and I are probably almost as impatient and I am excited for you to see your stone set in this ring! I think it is going to be just the perfect color set in the platinum. I am so glad that you all helped in the choosing of a stone color that will not be too dark and end up looking like a black blob in the white metal! :wavey:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Looks like it is really coming along. I wish I were in LA to see his pieces, but alas I'm on the East Coast.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
It looks stunning! I can't wait to see the finished product!!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back to add I love the modification he made based on Chrono's concerns about the loops being too separate and catching on things. It now has the delicacy and detail without looking like a mono-rail :bigsmile:

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
it looks fabulous! i can't wait to see the finished product its going to be stunning

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all! I am so excited to get this done!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much longer will the wait be, please? :saint:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He just emailed me that the ring has been sent to be cast. He will keep me updated but I am thinking it should be done by the end of next week. Lots of engraving to be done! :appl:

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
Exciting!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results