shape
carat
color
clarity

Sapphire and Diamond Ring/Estate Sale Find

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is a diamond and sapphire ring I bought at a local estate sale this morning. It is 18k and as you can see from the photo, one of the diamonds is missing. I'll have my jeweler replace it when I take it to him for sizing. On the inside of the band there is a LOT of marks, etc. On one side there is "06532" and on the other side is either a bull or a lion hallmark along with "750" (for 18k) and "586L." Do any of you have an idea of what this all means? IMG_7846.jpg

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does this help? (UK hallmarks)
https://theassayoffice.co.uk/help-with-hallmarks/anatomy-of-a-hallmark

585 would mean 14K - so maybe has both 14K and 18k?

Date letters - depending on the style of the L: you might find here
https://theassayoffice.co.uk/help-with-hallmarks/date-letters2

I don't know much about them, maybe someone else has more information.

I did suspect by the marks that it probably came from the UK, and the information you provided has been a lot of help. The ring was part of an estate in Mississippi and for this area, it was a nicer than usual estate. Huge home and everything in it was top notch. I imagine there was travel abroad for the couple or the ring was found in the U.S. at a high end antique store. I was first in line, the sale opened at 8:00, and I was out the door with my find at 8:15! Ha!! I can't wait to get it resized and wear it.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing useful I’m sorry but just wanted to say that this ring is really pretty.

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Nothing useful I’m sorry but just wanted to say that this ring is really pretty.

Thank you so much! I am taking it to be sized tomorrow. I can’t wait to be able to wear it. I haven’t been able to find one even slightly similar to it online. I think I got lucky with this one.

KittyKatEve

Rough_Rock
Premium
We need hand shots! Its super pretty!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I took it in this morning and should have it back in a week. Then, hand shots for sure!!

IMG_7923.jpg IMG_7922.jpg
I got it back and am totally in love with it. The sapphires are just beautiful in every light. I paid 285 for the ring and 85 for the diamond replacement and sizing. I don't think I did too bad for less than 400 total. I know I may not get lucky like that again anytime soon, but I will get lucky again at some point in time! LOL!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! So unusual.....:love::love::love:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do believe it was worth waking up at 2 AM just to be able to be first in line at 4 AM!! (Longest day ever!!) Ha!
We will walk through fire for the bling!!!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
We will walk through fire for the bling!!!

Yes we will!!! Here’s the story behind the estate sale. Picture a small (two traffic light) town in central Mississippi. It was a huge house and looked like nothing had been taken by the family except for maybe guns because there was a gun safe, but no guns. The owner had married a much older woman and they had one daughter. The first wife passed away in 1989 and the widower married a much younger woman shortly after. The daughter wanted little to nothing from the home. Every single item in it was top shelf. The second wife, a California girl turned Dallas socialite, died in July 2016 after suffering severe injuries three years earlier in a “tragic fall.” Then the husband died in November of the same year. Some stories are fascinating and worth the listen.

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring! :love: I’ve often wondered about the history of the pieces I’ve acquired, so I think it’s even more special given what you know about the background of it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes we will!!! Here’s the story behind the estate sale. Picture a small (two traffic light) town in central Mississippi. It was a huge house and looked like nothing had been taken by the family except for maybe guns because there was a gun safe, but no guns. The owner had married a much older woman and they had one daughter. The first wife passed away in 1989 and the widower married a much younger woman shortly after. The daughter wanted little to nothing from the home. Every single item in it was top shelf. The second wife, a California girl turned Dallas socialite, died in July 2016 after suffering severe injuries three years earlier in a “tragic fall.” Then the husband died in November of the same year. Some stories are fascinating and worth the listen.
Hmmmm, missing guns, dead people, tragic fall.....interesting.......!

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm, missing guns, dead people, tragic fall.....interesting.......!

Believe it or not, the story on the second wife came from her obituary! As for the guns, here in the south, they are 99.9% of the time kept as heirlooms and rarely seen put up for sale by the family.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This was a gorgeous find! Lol where i am much of an estate is looted months before an estate sale is even mentioned. That or everything is WAAAYYYYYY over priced.....

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This was a gorgeous find! Lol where i am much of an estate is looted months before an estate sale is even mentioned. That or everything is WAAAYYYYYY over priced.....

It's hit or miss here. I only go to one or two each year. I do have to say, the person who runs most of the sales I go to is very fair on prices. I did ask how much the ring was going to sell for before I made the decision to drive an hour to try and get it and could not believe it when she said $285.00 was the price on it. I wouldn't have been surprised at triple that amount. They also said it was 14kt in the photo but told me that was a mistake, it was 18kt, which it IS marked that. I'm just really pleased with the whole thing. The second lady who got there after I did was after a sterling silver service for 8 for her daughter, who got married last month......$2,100.00 dollars....because "every young lady needs a set of good china and sterling." Truly Southern ladies are still to be found.... especially when the make sure their daughters are properly outfitted for married life, and there's not one thing wrong with that.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@LorettaB that's awesome! Call me crazy but I would LOVE a silver service set! That sounds dip awesome. Growing up asian my family didn't even use that stuff, but Grace Kelly was my idol growing up and she got a set for her wedding so I wanted one too! I always did have a flair for the expensive :lol::idea:

LoveRed

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Here is a diamond and sapphire ring I bought at a local estate sale this morning. It is 18k and as you can see from the photo, one of the diamonds is missing. I'll have my jeweler replace it when I take it to him for sizing. On the inside of the band there is a LOT of marks, etc. On one side there is "06532" and on the other side is either a bull or a lion hallmark along with "750" (for 18k) and "586L." Do any of you have an idea of what this all means? IMG_7846.jpg
Awesome find. Can you take pictures of marks?

LorettaB

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Awesome find. Can you take pictures of marks?

The marks are actually a lot clearer looking through a loupe. If anyone has hints about taking photos close up I am all ears! I'll keep trying to get better photos. IMG_7976.jpg IMG_7978.jpg

LoveRed

Shiny_Rock
Trade
The marks are actually a lot clearer looking through a loupe. If anyone has hints about taking photos close up I am all ears! I'll keep trying to get better photos. IMG_7976.jpg IMG_7978.jpg
Lang Antiques website had s lot of marks resources

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results