shape
carat
color
clarity

Saphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
The following links are stones from icestore, but I would NOT be using diamonds, but colored gems instead. I could use any color gem in place of the ones shown. I considering these for design, and then will have the ring made with either yellow or pink saphires. Thanks for any opinions!!!

http://www.icestore.com/jewelry/fancy_diamond_jewelry_detail.asp?ID=2

http://www.icestore.com/jewelry/fancy_diamond_jewelry_detail.asp?ID=153

http://www.icestore.com/jewelry/fancy_diamond_jewelry_detail.asp?ID=131

http://www.icestore.com/jewelry/fancy_diamond_jewelry_detail.asp?ID=30

http://www.icestore.com/jewelry/fancy_diamond_jewelry_detail.asp?ID=200

http://www.icestore.com/jewelry/fancy_diamond_jewelry_detail.asp?ID=182

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... try WWW and the more eclectic but very up to date WWW

The first has clasic things, the second address collects quite a bit of info from latest jewelry design trends. Exploring the listings of jewelry producers there could be fun, and there is any kind and quality you could think of (from regalia to disposable trinckets). And how about a look at some jewelry design awards... say the Spectrum or?! What 'style' are you looking for?

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ana
1.gif
.. I took a look at the first site you mention, but didn't see anything I liked as much as the above. I still have to search through the second site.

However, as to the above rings I posted, I think I have narrowed it down to 1,2,3, or 5. At least I am getting closer. I can't say I can describe what "style" it is I'm looking for, but whatever you would call the above rings I've mentioned, that's the style!
love.gif

daboyzmomi

Shiny_Rock
Fancy,

2 and 3 would be my favorites. I love the large look of the 3, and the classy look of the 2. What stones are you thinking of for the piece? Fascinated to hear.
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice challenge! Out of the five, I see four rectangular stones (three square, one not), one set of rounds, of these three with pave' and two without. One common denominator I could finally grasp is size: you seem to be looking for something between 5 and 10 cts or more (?!), and a ring which definitely matches or exceeds the width of your finger. Finding a sapphire up to the task will probably be a little delightful adventure
9.gif
. ? I should say that here you touched my sensible chord: sapphires are third on my list of favorite stones... and I will definitely crowd this thread
11.gif
. However, regardless of color, finding a sapphire of good quality with a cut comparable to the diamonds above is not going to be a joke. Radiants are quasi inexistent. Square emeralds? Same. Rounds? perhaps more popular but available for a decent premium. A nice emerald cut is in the realm of reasonable patience. If you might ask what shape is left: well, ovals and fancy cuts (80% or over the nice sapphires you are likely to see). Precision cutting is most likely achievalble through a recut (a popular type of 'upgrade' in this area).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the many variables regarding the main stone, I would suggest to build the ring around the sapphire(s) of your dreams rather than fill-in the setting of your choice with a sapphire. It may work better, but this is just my take.
I've been hunting (and sometimes buying) sapphires for a while, and evry time I see and unusual gem I am glad to have had the privilege: nice sapphires are rare indeed (think rarity as in fancy color diamonds, not the D-IF you still CAN find any day for the right money). If you asked for a certain cut, color and 5-10 ct of great corrundum, it may take a disgusting amount of time to find it, if ever, for any amount of money. The last beauty I've seen online is a freshly cut (square, Portugheze cushion) golden-yellow of wonderous cut (ok, according to my taste) and a couple of unheated yellows (an yellow elongated rectangular cushion and a greeninsh-yellow 'roval') both unheated and with good color saturation (rare). Wow, I'm so curious to know what you have in mind!
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you tell I'm writing for a living?
2.gif

Ok, this is the last, but nor least Q: the rings you have chosen as models are diamonds, so I would expect a much greater range of shades to be found (and highly regarded) in yellow sapphire than yellow diamond. Same for pink. Fortunately, good color saturation in pink sapphire is way stronger than in pink diamonds (they do meet in Haven, but...). So looking for the same saturation in sapphire will leave you in mid-range quality (think vivid-diamond-equivalent for a good, as oposed to strykingly exceptional, find in pink as well as in yellow sapphire).

As for that second site, try to go to 'My Album' and put in as password the e-mail address [email protected]
2.gif
(disclaimer: not all those are my 'style' and some might give your jeweler a hart atack (Scavia, Grisogono, Verdura) at the very thought of imitating them)

Fine, I could probably keep writing until morning. I'll try to exercise some restraint and still be somewhat helpful next...
4.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my gosh, I guess my favorite, #4 is out of the running! Oh well, the others are beautiful as well. I just liked #4 because it seemed to hug the finger better and the surrounding pave would just pop against a sapphire. Enjoy your hunt.
10.gif

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
WOW ... Ana, I really may need yur advice b/c i know next to nothing about saphires, though I know that's what I want.

I have been looking at ajsgems.com (after you posted about it), and found lots of stones to my liking. One thing I did notice is that some of them are heated, but I though heating was an acceptable enhancement and permanent.

Caratgirl, I am leaning towards using the yellow saphire as the "major" stone in the ring, and the pink as accents or even as the pave (as in some of the designs). I think it would look more sophisticated and a little less cotton candy/trendy, but to be honest, I do love the big pink rocks too! I noticed that the blue saphires are MUCH more expensive than the pink and yellow (at least on ajsgems.com) which I why I've not thought about using that color .. though I am sure it would be fine if I used blue melee in the design. that might be a very cool look .. blue and pink accents and a big yellow center!
appl.gif

How much do you think a 5 carat yellow saphire would run in mid quality range? Not sure I can afford the top notch quality yet! What about ten carats??? ... They didn't seem all that expensive on ajsgems.com.
confused.gif
naughty.gif

I have been ogling the rings on icestore for so long that I finally decided to just build the ring using the saphires. That's why I got to looking at the setting before the stone. Not sure I am sophisticated enough in my tastes at this point to build the ring around a particular stone I find .... I am really looking to get the look of the rings I have been admiring.
3.gif

I am hoping to spend on the stones no more than $800 total, but have NO idea if this is possible ... I thought it might be after checking out prices on ajsgems.com but I may be way off base ... Ana, tell me what you think.
confused.gif

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and as for shape, I am leaning towards the square (either emerald or radiant), or round, but if something else were to come up, than I would just change the design I guess. Also, the size of the stone doesn't have to be the same as the diamonds featured in the setting .. if I can ony get a 2-3 carat saphire, than so be it, I've got to stay within my budget, but I was hoping to reach the five carat mark in a yelloow square shaped saphire of light to medium hue.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJS is not a bad point ot strat at all. They don't really have good pinks at this moment, this is why they appear cheaper. Otherwise, yellows tend to be cheaper than blues and good pinks match blues' prices but good ones (saturated pink) are somewhat rare. There is no point, I h´guess, in getting a 5ct plus for 800: you'd end up with sort of a lunp. I'd be more than happy to help design a settign in the style you like around the stone you like: I am sure that once a drawing is made choosing details should not be hard. It may be far harder to find a stone for the setting (as mentioned above).
Take a look at the fancy sapphire collection of Africagems, there might be some inspiring pieces. And Simplysapphires? There are a couple you might like: 1, 2, (!) 3, 4 (color!), 5 (Ugh!)
How will you get the setting? There is a lot of delicate pave there, and getting sapphire mele of good color did not stryke me as the usual approach... Just insist on the color of the small bits!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS: after a check at AJG I see that they still have a nice item lingering in stock - and unusual 2 ct pink pear (Lot #: SPK-00060). This is a nice pink, and larger stone for the weight (less bad than in diamond since there is color involved). Icestore has a nice setting with a huge yellow pear... Just in case, the small 1ct Lot #: SPK-00075 at AJS is what pink sapphires grow up for! (in the color department). And, drop a line to this WWW badly kept secret after you inspect their price/ct range for sapphire! Even ask if they could help with RECUTTING some stone to your specs. My visit to their premises in London left a very good impression...

Also, did you ever give Spinel a thought? The same comments as for sapphire apply (for pink, blue and read, yellows are not available), it looks just as good but lack of popularity (and rarity) makes it rather less expensive. Pala has nice, reasonably priced ones.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I find myself drawn to 2 and 3, although the last one with the hearts could be cute with pink stones.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still me...
I was thinking quite hard where on earth can one find a medium-range sapphire with a great cut. Now I remembered: WWW

This shop has just about the most reasonable prices for nice cuts I've seen. The selection on the website has little to do with what is in stock or waht can be ordered at this source: I've seen quite a range of prices a nd sizes over time there. I guess,if one wants a nicely cut, but not so expensive sapphire material, custom cutting is an option. I would drop a line and see what would be feasible given the parameters you want.
Hope this helps...
wavey.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results