color
clarity

Santa Fe Souvenir: Large Sunset-Colored Tourmaline

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Warning: Extremely lengthy post ahead! Haha

Hello My Fellow
CS- Obsessed lovelies :wavey:

My family & I recently took a mini vacation to Santa Fe NM, (it was not our first time as we live in state) but I wanted to find a higher quality piece this time for less.

My hopes werent set that high because as those of you who have been to SF may know that any of the shops there carrying fine jewelry are mucho expensive. I'm talking a 14k gold opal ring being $25,000.00 expensive. There are many artists so their prices of "expensive" vary but they are all out of my reach of what Im willing to spend.

Thats why when we heard of a local farmers market alongside an antiques market by the railway I knew that could be my only shot!

While the markets were beautiful and I picked up some wonderful all natural skincare and beauty products all I found were turquoise in sterling pieces (which are lovely but Im surrounded by it in my city as well).
As I went into the smaller room of the indoor antiques market and rounded a corner down the last lane I found a woman who was selling only a few items.

Most were bits and bobs and she informed me that they were all only $15 each. As I gave up hope on finding my souvenir, I saw a glass case at the other end of her stall and something pinkish red caught my eye!
Alas, I saw this huge gem staring at me and then I got closer and saw very specific inclusions that rang natural in my mind.

Immediately I thought that it was a tourmaline but I was positive it would be out of my price range yet I held my excitment in and deadened it and asked to see the gem.
She obliged and mentioned "Its a tourmaline. It was a larger piece but it broke in two and I had it cut into the larger piece youre holding and this smaller one."

The smaller one went unnoticed by me as it didnt have the better clarity and the color was much more muddy compared to the Sunsetty gem I was now holding.

I asked her the cost and she said "It cost me $175 to have them cut, $200 each."

My beau was completely tired and in need of food so we left without the gem as I only had a few seconds for the transaction but the stone stayed on my mind. I truly couldnt stop thinking about it.

When we got home two days later I had thankfully taken her business card and I gave her a ring and explained that it was the tall brunette girl that had oogled her tourmaline and told her that I would love to purchase it if it was still for sale.

It was and we arranged it all! When it came time to confirm the price she had given me I asked shyly;

"The tourmaline is still $200 correct?"

& She said happily, "No, it is $150.00"

:dance:

Well...... in the end I ended up with a lovely souvenir and oddly I personally think that its a beautiful representation of our trip and Santa Fe as a city, as the buildings are a sunset terracotta color and they have beautiful sunsets themselves there.

I dont have many details on the gem other than I think that it's "barrel" cut, and is quite large. Its a chunky girl but sparkles beautifully for her size. I dont have my calipers with me but I'm estimating that its closer to 17mm & 12mm thick.

I actually think that the inclusions add to the sparkle somehow and I dont mind them. Its not a perfect gem or an excellent representation of red, pink, or orange tourmaline whatsoever but I'm totally in love! :love:

If anyone has any ideas on setting this different thick barrel cut girl let me know! I could only find a few examples of set barrel cut pieces but they all belong to our fellow PSers and are quite lovely, although mine is much more square than rectangle shaped like the others.

IMG_0566.jpg IMG_0561.jpg
IMG_0912.1jpeg.JPG IMG_09111.pjeg.JPG

Also this is my first time trying to upload a video to PS so let me know if it works or not! The color in person is closest to the second video on my android.

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's pretty! I like the second from last style the best. Thanks for sharing your story. I always like hearing stories about what the stone represents to you and how you got it.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A beautiful stone!! You got lucky! It will make a stunning ring. I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Yes Santa Fe is super expensive. Not many bargains there. Bring your credit card!
I think I saw that $25,000 opal, in Old Town right? And there was a matching necklace? Silly pricing.

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Wow, that is a gorgeous stone! So much personality. What a great find and price!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the video, it looks a great deal like sunstone with some Schiller. Are you sure it’s tourmaline?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@voce Thank you! I'm sentimental and love sharing these kinds of stories behind the finds. Glad to know others do as well!

@stracci2000 Yes the opal ring was! & it was beautiful but so damn overpriced! They really are ridiculous. Thats why I was so elated to find a tourmaline of this size and clarity for a song! Thank you for your sweet comments girly!

@Batgirl76 Thank you! & Yes! Its size definetely lends to having its own personality, its own microcosm if you will.

@T L Theres actually zero schiller in real life; Its the inclusions, hence why I said that I actually think that the presence of them enhanced the sparkle in gemstone.

The woman also had the two pieces cut from the rough and she seemed super knowledgeable about gemstones. She knew what she had and how she was practically gifting it to me!

It looks very much like tourmaline in real life.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Some shots taken tonight with flash. I love seeing the depth of color in this stone.

Im so weird, as I seem to be enamored with this stone and its size and color because I've been carrying it in its velvet pouch in my brassiere all day and keep taking it out to admire it in different types of lighting!

My beau kept finding me starring at it and finally said "That stone makes you that happy?!" Haha
:dance:

20191206_211417.jpg 20191206_211408.jpg 20191206_211200.jpg 20191206_211143.jpg

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pics in the original post appeared to have gone, however I did see them and the stone is lovely.
Looking forward to see the finished ring.

DK :))

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
Mmmm what a delicious colour! It makes me think of pink grapefruit lol.

It's a beautiful stone.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful souvenir! Pls let us know when you set it.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your tourmaline will make one epic-ly huge and beautiful ring. ;)2

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning tourmaline. Love the color, the size and the personality. It does remind me of a sunset. A beautiful sunset.

sunsetoversharkriver.jpg

What a find. :love:
Looking forward to seeing how you set it. Congrats @TheGarnetGirl :appl:

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone and story, it was meant to be!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been carrying it in its velvet pouch in my brassiere all day and keep taking it out to admire it in different types of lighting!
Your'e my kind of girl!
This sounds like something I would do! :lol:
What a chunky and delicious stone. It looks like candy!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely stone! Even just having it in the velvet pouch to pull out is fabulous.
Congratulations on such a dreamy piece. It really goes with the ocean of high desert skies around Sf.
Downtown is $$$$, but there are some places which can be negotiated with. One place is similar to Lang’s in the La Fonda, called Things Finer which is a lot of fun, if nothing else, for the selection! But, sounds like you did really well and I hope your visit was great.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results