shape
carat
color
clarity

Sanity check on a pair of Edison drops please?

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
I've been searching for the perfect pair of super lustrous white pearl drops with an elegant egg/pear shape forever. I've found them but the price for a loose matching pair is set at $1400.

I'm aware that pearl prices have gone up recently and it's a different market nowadays but this seems steep, especially for freshwater. They're quite splendid, though, and as nice as South Sea pearls.

Does anyone have insight into pricing for Edison pearls? I've checked out Etsy and the nice metallic Edisons there (albeit not the rare white drop shape) come in at less than half the price. Feedback appreciated!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FW at 1400 a pair - these had better be mussels' gifts to mankind :eek-2:

Alybird

Shiny_Rock

Seriously!! That's what I was thinking. They're really beautiful but I'm just like... ugh. I'll attach a pic of them!

Also thank you so much for responding @yssie. I've learned so much from your threads.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes please share a photo!

I dunno. Seems like pearl prices are at the "we'll charge what someone will pay" point. So maybe it's not as outrageous as it seems. If they're, like, picture perfect in all the ways. Maybe. I'm curious exactly what you're looking for though.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
For freshwater, these are sublime.
Drops.JPG

However, I have been shopping around recently for gem quality pearls (Akoya, Tahitian, Freshwater) so I feel like I've gotten a decent gauge of the current pricing spectrum.

This price point on these FW's far supersedes gem quality Akoya so I had to put on the brakes and do a proper sanity check.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that's tough. That's a nice pair. Perfectly matched, no, but we all know that demanding perfect matching in drop shape is a one way street to Doomsville.

Maybe before you commit - reach out to pearlzaustralia and Takahashi and see what they might have - in FW or SS?

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
Oh that's tough. That's a nice pair. Perfectly matched, no, but we all know that demanding perfect matching in drop shape is a one way street to Doomsville.

Maybe before you commit - reach out to pearlzaustralia and Takahashi and see what they might have - in FW or SS?

Thank you so much! I will do just that. I appreciate your help, truly.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The other thing is... FW seem to be getting better and better every year. Like - the betterness outstrips the price increases. To be honest I probably would just wait - I wouldn't advise a friend to spend 1400 USD on this pair. It's just too much for not enough #Perfect. Is it USD?

Edit - if you're willing to wait, they could source for you, too. Might be a while - uncertain timeline - but it's the best chance of getting a great pair.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
The other thing is... FW seem to be getting better and better every year. Like - the betterness outstrips the price increases. To be honest I probably would just wait - I wouldn't advise a friend to spend 1400 USD on this pair. It's just too much for not enough #Perfect. Is it USD?

Edit - if you're willing to wait, they could source for you, too. Might be a while - uncertain timeline - but it's the best chance of getting a great pair.

@yssie You're such a pearl pal. I really mean this in the best way. I totally get what you're saying and I agree with you.

Yes, it's in USD. ‍

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would strongly recommend reaching out to Etsy shop pearlzaustralia who is a member of PS and ask her to find you a pair of well-matched WSS for that healthy/generous budget.

I would definitely not pay 1.4k USD for that pair of CFWP - they are not even that well-matched and the shape is not sufficiently "dropped" for my liking!

These are on their way to me sourced from pearlzaustralia (aka @katbran) (can't wait to receive them) and she may have similar ones in stock. ;)2

icm_fullxfull.581164503_7gccygzuc3cw4ccowo4c.jpg

icm_fullxfull.584121775_84rkr0pxkjs4wcg4wkg0.jpg

These are my mis-matched pair from Takahashi, a Tahitian and a WSS:

20220801_130947a.jpg

Can't disclose what I had paid for these 2 pairs, however, they were very affordable is what I am prepared to say and definitely less than 1.4k USD!!! :lol-2:

DK =)2

empliau

Shiny_Rock
@dk168 I'm so glad your WSS drops are on their way to you! They look absolutely splendid. I hope they bring you as much pleasure as mine have brought me!

@katbran has gorgeous WSS.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
I would strongly recommend reaching out to Etsy shop pearlzaustralia who is a member of PS and ask her to find you a pair of well-matched WSS for that healthy/generous budget.

I would definitely not pay 1.4k USD for that pair of CFWP - they are not even that well-matched and the shape is not sufficiently "dropped" for my liking!

These are on their way to me sourced from pearlzaustralia (aka @katbran) (can't wait to receive them) and she may have similar ones in stock. ;)2

icm_fullxfull.581164503_7gccygzuc3cw4ccowo4c.jpg

icm_fullxfull.584121775_84rkr0pxkjs4wcg4wkg0.jpg

These are my mis-matched pair from Takahashi, a Tahitian and a WSS:

20220801_130947a.jpg

Can't disclose what I had paid for these 2 pairs, however, they were very affordable is what I am prepared to say and definitely less than 1.4k USD!!! :lol-2:

DK =)2

You are such a sweetheart! Your new drops are lovely and the perfect shape. Thank you for sharing and for pointing me in the right direction.

I reached out to pearlzaustralia last night and am already more comfortable and at ease going this route.

Something about dealing with the other seller and that quote for FW felt off.

So grateful for everyone!

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I bought the south sea drops in my avatar when I fell in love with the picture of them on Instagram and it all came together - price, pair, time. They still simply send me.

That said, @dk168 's from pearlzaustralia are just wonderful. They look like beautifully matched pyramids that are softly rounded - and I love a good pyramid!

Please share what you get. I'm sure you will find something fabulous.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My pair of WSS from @katbran of pearlzaustralia fame had arrived and they are gorgeous!

Very happy with them, and cost significantly less than 1.4k USD!

The sizes are 11.15 and 11.20 mm.

20231025_122318.jpg 20231025_122247.jpg 20231025_121331.jpg 20231025_122016_a.jpg

DK :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

empliau

Shiny_Rock
They're just lovely. Congratulations on your beautiful earrings! WSS, I presume?

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
20231127_172023.jpg

They're just so pretty.

WSS, a bit over 11mm. The settings are 18k gold. I chose these classic huggie settings because the drops are so perfect, I wanted the pearls to shine.

I feel unbelievably lucky to have found these and owe a ton of thanks to this wonderful Pricescope community.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They're here!!

Thank you so much @yssie @dk168 @katbran

IG - Pearlzaustralia

They're absolutely stunning. I still can't believe that they're here!!

20231127_171454.jpg

I would absolutely recommend working with Kathleen. She is so conscientious and above all, a lovely person with a great passion for pearls. =)

They’re beautiful!! Such lovely shapes, those chubby drops, and really nicely matched - and that buttery smooth skin :love: Congratulations!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
20231127_172023.jpg

They're just so pretty.

WSS, a bit over 11mm. The settings are 18k gold. I chose these classic huggie settings because the drops are so perfect, I wanted the pearls to shine.

I feel unbelievably lucky to have found these and owe a ton of thanks to this wonderful Pricescope community.

I hope we managed to save you some $$$ too!

DK :lol-2:

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
Such pretty drops. I predict a rush of PS members on the hunt for drops now.

Thank you. Yes, you might be right!! I was lucky to get these before the prices jumped yet again. And now that they're here, I just want more in different styles!! Lol. The hunt for drops is part of the fun I think.

Here's a daylight picture in my attempt to do these pearls justice:

20231129_122839.jpg

Also, these showed up in my Etsy feed this morning. Freshwater, smaller drops and pretty luster. =) For anyone on the hunt and is crafty with jewelry, here is perhaps an option:

Last edited:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
They are beautiful earrings if I do say so myself :lol-2:
And those little freshwater you linked are very pretty - bigger and I would have been tempted myself lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results