shape
carat
color
clarity

Sanity Check: Is this a Fair Deal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chamberc

Rough_Rock
Thanks in advance for your help! This is my first time purchasing an engagement ring and while this sounds like a fair deal to me, I really have no reference for comparison other than online prices.

Round Heart & Arrow Ideal
GIA Cert
1.75 carat
I (the low color quality is my biggest concern)
VS2
Depth: 62
Table 56%

The asking price is $10,000 and other than the color being 1 or 2 steps below what I wanted it seems like a fair deal. Opinions? Advice? Thanks!

magna2

Shiny_Rock
chamberc,

While there is not really sufficient information to definitively say whether this diamond is worth purchasing, the price seems to be a very good price for the size and clarity.

Do not be concerned with the "I" color, if it is a well cut diamond it will face up white and the color would only be detectable when viewed from the side. The setting will most likely obscure the side view anyways. There are many who have bought an "I" color stone and are very pleased with their purchase and how white it looks when mounted.

If you have concerns, then make your purchase conditional on you having it independently appraised to your satisfaction. Also, ensure that you have the chance to personally view this diamond to see if you notice the color if that is your major concern - chances are, you won't be able to detect the color.
rodent.gif

rodent.gif

chamberc

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply. I felt pretty good about it, (the GIA cert makes me feel better) and you're response makes me feel even better.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
It would really help if you post diameter, table %, depth %, and crown and pavillion angles. If you don't have the info readily available, ask the Vendor for it. When you get that info, you'll get better opinions on the diamond.

Magna made a good point about I color. Very well CUT diamonds will face up whiter and brighter than their actual color grade. Color is graded cutlet up/table down in the body of the diamond. Check out the pics in the "Show Me the Ring" portion of the Forum. There are several I color diamonds there, some mounted in platinum. They are very gorgeous rings!
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I don't know on this one......the stone is a 1.75 carat, and the larger the stone gets the more it shows color.

If it were me in this particular situation, I think I'd drop down a bit in size to get an H color.

chamberc

Rough_Rock
aljdewey,

That's certainly a possibility.

I've got an opportunity to buy a:

Round
Heart & Arrow Ideal
H
SI2

For the same amount... however, I'm concerned that while I'm gaining the H color, I'm dropping from VS2 to SI2.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results