shape
carat
color
clarity

San Diego Restaurants / Beaches for Proposal Suggestions

NervousBuyer

Rough_Rock
I've never been to San Diego but this winter my girlfriend and I are visiting and I'd like to propose! :)

I realize it's going to be too cold to enjoy a day at the beach, but I'm sure there are some wonderful places to walk around and then watch the sunset, yes? We will be limited in transportation (won't have a vehicle to use) so I was hoping for some good recommendations on romantic restaurants with a great view of the ocean or that are near (say a 10-20 minute walk) a beach perfect for watching the sunset? I think we'll be hanging out at the beach / shopping during the day as the sun sets, then hopefully walk somewhere for a romantic dinner!

Originally I had planned on involving a hot-air-balloon ride, but the cost makes that prohibitive for a poor college student. ;-) However, not doing that leaves me with enough money for a nice dinner and limo ride home at the end of the evening!

After dinner (I think I'll ask during dinner - not too cliche is it?) it'd be great to go someplace else (extend the evening a little) and get some quality dessert. Any suggestions there? We'll likely take the limo there after dinner so don't worry about locations as long as it's local - though northern San Diego would be better.

So... where are your favourite places to have a romantic dinner (ideally with a view)? Get dessert? Hang out at the beach / watch the sunset?

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions! :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.hoteldel.com/

I think the Hotel del Coronado would be fantastic getaway for a romantic and memorable proposal.
It's that historic beachfront resort where they filmed "Some Like it Hot" with Marilyn Monroe, Jack Lemon and Tony Curtis.

Staying there is pricey, but a walk on the grounds and the beach is free, and their magnificent dining room may be perfect for your special occasion.
Edit: I can tell you from experience that those chandeliers really make diamonds sparkle. :love:
Please propose under good bling light. :appl:

000hitek.png

hotel-del-coronado.jpg

0mmm.png

NervousBuyer

Rough_Rock
Wow, impressive! And looks familiar, I watched "Some Like it Hot" a few years back.

We're staying with family, actually - I don't think not coming back one night would go over well haha. And perhaps a little TOO fancy. Looking for something more subtly romantic if that makes sense, rather than just "look how much money this costs."

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NervousBuyer|1316537364|3021426 said:
Wow, impressive! And looks familiar, I watched "Some Like it Hot" a few years back.

We're staying with family, actually - I don't think not coming back one night would go over well haha. And perhaps a little TOO fancy. Looking for something more subtly romantic if that makes sense, rather than just "look how much money this costs."

Balboa park has many many possibilities.
There are all those museums and botanical gardens, or take in a free outdoor concert of the Spreckels pipe organ, Sundays 2:00 PM.
http://sosorgan.com/

Their golf course has a retro old clubhouse original 50s diner with a fantastic view and menu prices that also seemed like they were from the 50s.
http://www.americangolf.com/CA/san-diego-balboa-park-golf-course

Just west of Balboa park is a fantastic little dessert restaurant.
Years ago when I spent a lot of time in SD, people lined up in the evening to get in.
http://www.menuism.com/restaurants/extraordinary-desserts-san-diego-304517

0cc.png

000view.jpg

DSC_4387AJR900.jpg

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
DH and I really enjoyed Karen Krasne's Extraordinary Desserts while in San Diego. Very cute and delicious!

ETA: Oops, just saw Kenny posted it, too! Well, 2 recommendations is better than one. :)

Appropos of nothing, I also loved Seersucker if you happen to be in the Gaslamp on your trip. :)) Oh the brown butter fries...

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Coastal North County would land you in: Del Mar, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Carlsbad. I'd look into Jakes Del Mar and Kitchen 1540. There's also a little place called The Beach Grass which we loved, but were terribly dissapointed when they opened a franchise inland. Not sure if the second opening affected their flagship negatively. La Jolla is south of north county, but not too terribly far down the coast. I'd eat at Nine-Ten if headed there. George's is good too. Minus Beach Grass all of the restaurants I and others have mentioned are pricey, if they're beyonf budget let us know so we can come up with some other suggestions.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Coastal North County would land you in: Del Mar, Encinitas, Solana Beach, Carlsbad. I'd look into Jakes Del Mar and Kitchen 1540. There's also a little place called The Beach Grass which we loved, but were terribly dissapointed when they opened a franchise inland. Not sure if the second opening affected their flagship negatively. La Jolla is south of north county, but not too terribly far down the coast. I'd eat at Nine-Ten if headed there. George's is good too. Minus Beach Grass all of the restaurants I and others have mentioned are pricey, if they're beyonf budget let us know so we can come up with some other suggestions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results