shape
carat
color
clarity

Sam''s Club Hearts and Arrows?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rrwildlife

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

First let me state that I''m new to the forum and have enjoyed the site. What a wealth of information!

On to my story and question? I recently purchased a Diamond engagement ring at Sam''s Club after searching some of the online retailers. The problem is I am definitely no expert on quality, I just know what looks nice to me. Having the IGI certificate was comforting because it allowed me to compare what I could purchase the "same" diamond for between several places (Internet or jewelry store). Only later did I find out that IGI may be somewhat liberal on they’re grading so I may not have been comparing apples to apples so to speak. What is the probability that a IGI hearts and arrows diamond is not necessarily hearts and arrows?

By the way here are the stats. that accompanies the IGI certification:
Hearts & Arrows Diamond Report
Date: 10/9/2003
Shape and Cut: Round Brilliant Cut
Measurments: 6.51-6.53X3.94mm
Weight: 1.0 CT(S)
Proportions: Ideal
Depth: 60.4% Table: 55% Crown Height: 15.5%
Pavillion Depth: 42.5% Cutlet: None Girdle: Thin
Finish Polish: Excellent Symmetry: Excellent
Clarity Grade: VS(1) Color Grade: I
Fluorescence: none
Including the platinum 950 setting the total cost was $4998.00

Thanks Ryan

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
See this thread for others opinions that have seen the diamonds.

pricescope

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The price seems a bit high by internet standards but would be low by b&m standards for a good-great h&a assuming the grading is correct on your diamond.

When you look at it do you see the arrows?
View it under different light untill you can see the arrows and see how they look.
While harder to look at than with a scope designed for it they are visible by eye.

Is there an independant appraiser in your area you could have look at it?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well the cut itself seems to look pretty good. The numbers are nice, diameter is nice, the only downer would be the 'thin' girdle but that's not the end of the world. Just get it insured if you wear it in an open-prong setting.

The HCA gave it a 0.6 EX but that is using %'s which are not as accurate. Estimate that with angles it'd be more like a 1.0-1.5 TIC which is still extremely great...anything under 2.0 is better than 95% of the stones out there.

Looks like you got a pretty good deal...as Strm noted, higher than internet, but lower than B&M....so best of both worlds. With the IGI grading, only thing I'd be slightly concerned about would be the I color....be sure it's I and not a J or K.

I wouldn't be too worried about the Hearts and Arrows aspect, because it most likely does display at least a decent H&A pattern...though maybe not excellent enough to appease some of the more stricter H&A standards (mostly internet vendors who scrutinize their stones before putting them up for sale). So if you viewed it under a scope, you would see H&A but possibly a heart may be elongated or similar. Most stones exhibit some sort of H&A even if they would not be marked H&A. Confused yet?
2.gif

Would agree to get it appraised independently locally...make sure all the specs match out and see what the appraiser says on color.

Nice choice! Good luck.

rrwildlife

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I feel good about the cut. I actually have the pavillion angle (40.4) and the table angle (34.9), it’s embarrassing to admit but I overlooked this data when I first looked at the Cert. According to the HCA it rates a .5 ex (ex ex ex vg). I have set up an appraisal with an independent appraiser recommended by this forum. My only concern at this point is the Color, assuming that the other proportional data is correct. If it is determined that the color and other data is accurate I will be very happy with the price I paid. Based on the search I did this falls right in there with the Internet dealers when you price in the cost of the ring.

Any comments appreciated.

Regards,

Ryan

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Looks absolutely great. On the internet pricing is a little more competitive, but you did great, especially if the deal included a platinum setting.
1.gif
Just be sure to check if the IGI report is accurate.
wavey.gif

Happy holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results