shape
carat
color
clarity

Same story, different guy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

JC_Rogers84

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I recently negotiated a diamond ring sale, and I think I came out poorly. I initially agreed to purchase a brilliant round diamond .5 carat, VS1, and settled for a G in color. I paid for the band which is white gold and an antique setting with .66 carats of SI full cut diamonds (the little ones). The setting is very beautiful and the jewelers own design. I put up the money first with the agreement that I would choose my diamond later. I paid $3240.

The jeweler showed me a .51 diamond that was "Ideal" Tolkowsky cut and EGL certified. The clarity was VS2, and I thought I noticed some feather on the underside of the diamond. However, I have a very untrained eye and most of my knowledge comes from reading. I did find it odd that when I looked at the bottom the jeweler told me that diamonds were graded from the top down. The ring was G in color. For this "rare" stone he told me that it would be an additional $270 bringing my total to $3510. He said the diamond was from Belgium. I am a poor college student who wants to get the best that I can for a beautiful young lady. I have heard negative things about EGL. If anyone can tell me if I am getting ripped off I would greatly appreciate it. I go in tomorrow to look at the diamond, and can get the specifics on the measurements then. Apologies for the long post, but thank you so much for any help.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get the details first, but it does sound a bit expensive. Just to note though, diamonds ARE graded face up. He wasn''t lying.

JC_Rogers84

Rough_Rock
I called the jeweler and this is what I was given so far:

Table 5.04
Depth 3.21

They were unable to provide me with more specifics at this time, but are checking to see if they have received the official certificate in the mail.

oneandahalfrock

Shiny_Rock
It''s all about the angles honey ;-)
Get that info and you''ll get much more helpful feedback...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell them you want every single measurement and number from the cert or no deal. If they are on the up and up they should have no problem giving it all to you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2009 12:09:56 PM
Author:JC_Rogers84
Hello all,

I recently negotiated a diamond ring sale, and I think I came out poorly. I initially agreed to purchase a brilliant round diamond .5 carat, VS1, and settled for a G in color. I paid for the band which is white gold and an antique setting with .66 carats of SI full cut diamonds (the little ones). The setting is very beautiful and the jewelers own design. I put up the money first with the agreement that I would choose my diamond later. I paid $3240.

The jeweler showed me a .51 diamond that was 'Ideal' Tolkowsky cut and EGL certified. The clarity was VS2, and I thought I noticed some feather on the underside of the diamond. However, I have a very untrained eye and most of my knowledge comes from reading. I did find it odd that when I looked at the bottom the jeweler told me that diamonds were graded from the top down. The ring was G in color. For this 'rare' stone he told me that it would be an additional $270 bringing my total to $3510. He said the diamond was from Belgium. I am a poor college student who wants to get the best that I can for a beautiful young lady. I have heard negative things about EGL. If anyone can tell me if I am getting ripped off I would greatly appreciate it. I go in tomorrow to look at the diamond, and can get the specifics on the measurements then. Apologies for the long post, but thank you so much for any help.
Welcome JC!

Firstly EGL are said to be softer on grading in some circumstances than GIA or AGS for example, this link goes into further detail.

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/grading.asp

Also labels such as Ideal Tolkowsky aren't any guarantee of a well cut diamond. What we need to further assist you in judging the cut is the following info please.

depth%
table%
crown and pavilion % ( angles are preferred but EGL note these in percents)
girdle thickness
diameter measurement
polish and symmetry grades
fluorescence if applicable

If you could find out which EGL lab graded the diamond such as EGL Antwerp, Israel etc then that would help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results