shape
carat
color
clarity

Same stone, different prices?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

slbrides

Rough_Rock
When looking up stones, the same one is offered by several vendors, but at different prices. While none of the vendors actually have the stone in their possession, how do you handle the different price? In other words, is there a reason for this? Should I be leery of this?
I actually inquired about the same stone from two different vendors without realizing it...

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ya, their service, such as buy back, trade up policy.

slbrides

Rough_Rock
thanks stone cold...makes sense. My husband just told me I am a horrible decision maker. I have to pick a vendor, stick with them. Right now, WF has been most responsive to my questions, while delays on others. I just worry about their 10 day return policy...if that is enough time.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
SL, are you planning to get the stone viewed by an appraiser? If so, we can either ship the stone directly to the appraiser, or you can set an appointment with him in advance to make sure it falls within your inspection period.

We do have a longer inspection period for our inhouse stones, so if you think you''d prefer a longer inspection period, it might make sense to see what''s in that inventory, too.
1.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check with them, if it is 10 days till they receive the return stone or when it was sent.

Or just ask them to sent to an independent appraiser near you.

slbrides

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,
I don''t have an appraiser and my original thought was that yes, I would have it independently appraised.

In all honesty, I had a stone that was appraised for much higher (by an independent), but when the time came for replacement cost from the insurance, the amount was significantly lower and I was told that was due to the economy.
When offered to have the insurance co. replace my diamond, I opted to take the check and do it myself hoping to do better. I considered that a conflict of interest.

Sooooo, that brings me to whether I have it independently appraised, or do I accept the opinions of those here, and my own in-person view?? Opinions here are probably more critical here than I would be, but have far more expertise.

Allison, it is not an in-house stone.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just use the independent appraiser as a means of delivery. They have access to faster mailing services than the USPS and have their third party insurance of any parcel they sent out. So if you go through them, 10 days is definitely enough. Else, USPS might not be enough time depending on how far you are from WF.

slbrides

Rough_Rock
Stone, my husband used Accredited Gem Appr last time and I actually was in contact with a rep for them when I lost my stone for paperwork. I believe they are based in PA and I am in MA.
Are you recommending sending to an appraiser first, if ok, send to me to be mounted? Don''t skip the second appraisal?

slbrides

Rough_Rock
got it. thanks stone.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/6/2009 8:39:20 PM
Author: slbrides
thanks stone cold...makes sense. My husband just told me I am a horrible decision maker. I have to pick a vendor, stick with them. Right now, WF has been most responsive to my questions, while delays on others. I just worry about their 10 day return policy...if that is enough time.

I bought my EC from them about 3 plus years ago--ten days is actually more than adequate. Plus I must tell you they do not want returns and expensive back and forth shipping-they will not lie to you. Trust them -you can always return it easily. I have referred numerous friends to them over the years and not one person had a problem.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
personally i think the independant appraiser is a waste of time and money when dealing with most of these pricescope vendors..........if you like the look of it you know its what they say it is. all appraiserd do is confirm that the stone matches the cert. most do not assess light return or anything else which is somewhat inaccurate with step cuts. i bought my firsts stones and had them appraised and they were crappy stones................when i knew what i was buying and trusted the vendor i didnt bother. recently i had larger side stones added and the whole thing re-appraised and the jeweler said i had one of the nicest stones he had ever seen. i told him i selected it after years of trial and error. he said well you did great!

slbrides

Rough_Rock
Still have not figured out how to box in a topic to reply!
Also, have become obsessed with this whole thing...should have been working tonight, but here I am!

Bgray, here we are again and I appreciate your input!

Stone, some vendors in MA, but not all that local and none in RI? Was thinking drivable...am 1/2 hr out of Prov. Emailed your guy at Metro.

slbrides

Rough_Rock
bgray, I know you have done extensive research with EC''s...I can''t help but wonder if you are "on to something" with the skip the second appraisal. I keep going round and round with the whole thing...if vendor is trusted, would they sell you something not on the up and up?
Then again, they are trying to sell you something.
And then, what was the point of a $8800 appraisal when I only got $6000 for a replacement value? Take away the platinum band that I am pretty sure does not equal $2800. I don''t get it. And am still bent about it.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What your last appraiser said is correct though. When the economy went south, the price drop, so the insurance will only pay what they thought is a replacement value to the stone at the time of the loss not when it is bought. One way is to do more regular appraisal to keep the paper work up to date and premium adjusted to reflect that price.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/6/2009 10:24:32 PM
Author: slbrides
bgray, I know you have done extensive research with EC''s...I can''t help but wonder if you are ''on to something'' with the skip the second appraisal. I keep going round and round with the whole thing...if vendor is trusted, would they sell you something not on the up and up?
Then again, they are trying to sell you something.
And then, what was the point of a $8800 appraisal when I only got $6000 for a replacement value? Take away the platinum band that I am pretty sure does not equal $2800. I don''t get it. And am still bent about it.
Concerning the original question, if it is a virtual stone listed with multiple vendors, some will do a price match of the cheapest advertised price on request.

As to the appraisal, you could have the new loose diamond appraised unmounted then once completed have a final inspection by the appraiser who can also give you a suitable figure for insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results